Star Wars: Squadrons

Non-Allegiance related. High probability of spam. Pruned regularly.
Bacon_00

Post by Bacon_00 »

Anybody gonna grab this on the 2nd? Looks freaking amazing, especially in VR. Feels like it could be a great game for whoever's left around here :)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1222 ... Squadrons/
Last edited by Bacon_00 on Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Leave Bacon alone. When he's unsure of what sector he's in somehow it works out better." -Lee
Broodwich

Post by Broodwich »

I've been on the fence about getting it. It has a lot of things like HOTAS support and they mentioned TrackIR... but some of the videos look like Cod in space. It's also EA, sooo... idk
QUOTE Drizzo: ha ha good old chap
Drizzo: i am a brit
Drizzo: tut tut
Drizzo: wankarrrrrr
Drizzo: i only have sex whilst in the missionary position[/quote] Fas est et ab hoste doceri - Ovid
MagisterXF94

Post by MagisterXF94 »

Bacon wrote:QUOTE (Bacon @ Sep 15 2020, 05:30 AM) Anybody gonna grab this on the 2nd? Looks freaking amazing, especially in VR. Feels like it could be a great game for whoever's left around here :)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1222 ... Squadrons/
I got it.
Psychosis has it too.
Trying to convince blake to get it too
QUOTE ^cashto@Elem (all): yeah, i imagine if you're rusty, you could build op short for no reason, build a naked ref, then go two techpaths even though your mining is by all objective standards $#@!ed[/quote]
Vortrog

Post by Vortrog »

My son has, now its getting on his PC to play it.
Initial viewing is similarities to XvT with energy management which is a good thing.
Fleet battles seems the best mode
Papsmear

Post by Papsmear »

From what I'm reading on Discord it looks like Weedman & Shadowfoxx have bought it or will be soon.
If you buy the game please leave us some feed back.
I am going to check out the game a little more and might pick it up.
ImageImage
Bacon_00

Post by Bacon_00 »

I've been having a blast with it. The combat feels really similar to Alleg, though a bit faster paced and frantic (in a good way). Really captures the Star Wars feel.

The Fleet Battle mode is definitely the best, but it's also a fairly simple tug-of-war once the novelty wears off. Each team has a cap ship, and your goal is to destroy the other team's ship. You alternate back-and-forth on who is on defense vs. offense based on kill counts & defeating the AI mini-cap that spawns for the offensive team each round. I think even the tiniest bit of teamwork would make a group of 5 nearly unbeatable since it's almost always teams of randos doing zero coordination. Dogfighting is also fun. The story mode is also great fun. For $40 I think it's a no-brainer for this crowd. It's not perfect but it's good fun.

VR mode, for those with headsets, is AMAZING. Elevates it from a fun Star Wars shooter to a dream come true.

There are a few technical bugs around frame rates and crashing still to be sorted, but the dev team seems fully aware of it, so it'll all get fixed soonish.
Last edited by Bacon_00 on Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Leave Bacon alone. When he's unsure of what sector he's in somehow it works out better." -Lee
blake420

Post by blake420 »

^ Bacon pretty much nails it with his summery. I've been playing with Blacksun, Psychosis, and Weedman. I can say it's fun and comes the closest to itching the allegiance scratch that i so rarely get to indulge.

So, when do we form up a allegiance team and take it to these star wars voobs?

Find me on Steam: blake420

Or hit me up on the Alleg Discord
Deathrender

Post by Deathrender »

Game is good. Maybe needs faction balancing and some work done on a map or two, but its true space sim combat.
phoenix1 wrote:QUOTE (phoenix1 @ Jul 22 2017, 05:58 PM) Mini ac gunner mount was removed because somewhere along the lines we had a core dev that said, "I really hate Terran and want him to be miserable." And all core devs ever since have agreed.
Broodwich

Post by Broodwich »

it's not bad. As far as single player, the missions are varied and somewhat interesting, and are a good place to get familiar with controls and stuff. The story/dialogue is entirely skippable and gets downright painful after a few missions. Thankfully, skipping it is easy.

Combat is a lot faster paced than the original Xwing series, and even alleg. You die faster, accel faster, and have aiming assist. It kinda feels like they merged Xwing with CoD. It's not the worst thing but it just feels arcadey. You still have to figure out lead but when you're within a certain area it just auto aims for you. That combined with the speed of your lasers makes shooting really easy.

MP is pretty fun but lacks depth. You'll quickly find the best combos of gear to use and unlock them. I think i unlocked everything i wanted in the first hour or two of online play, and haven't changed anything since. Fleet battles are still just 5v5, in relatively small spaces, which just feels lazy because it's in space. The maps have lots of cover to fly around in though, which is fun and breaks up the action a bit.

Overall, I'd say it's worth $40. The team is going in the right direction and that should be rewarded over mindless FPS games. However, unless they increase player count or add some variety to MP, I don't expect to be interested much longer than a month or so. It's just not that challenging and there isn't much depth to MP.

Cheers
QUOTE Drizzo: ha ha good old chap
Drizzo: i am a brit
Drizzo: tut tut
Drizzo: wankarrrrrr
Drizzo: i only have sex whilst in the missionary position[/quote] Fas est et ab hoste doceri - Ovid
Grimmwolf_GB

Post by Grimmwolf_GB »

I bought it this week and the first two rebel missions feel very much like the old wing commander games. I really like it so far. I am looking forward to the rest of the campaign. :)