P1 vs Terran

Tactical advice, How-to, Post-mortem, etc.
SumVeritas

Post by SumVeritas »

Terran wrote:QUOTE (Terran @ Feb 4 2019, 06:24 PM) no recap for the epic durdle game? :P
P1 says that winners should recap :(
Duckwarrior wrote:QUOTE (Duckwarrior @ Mar 8 2017, 09:38 PM) Desert eagle .50 cal from beechcraft bonanza as fly poor people over doctor son beechcraft bonanza trump beef texas ping pong boat 400k doctor son beefsteak good texas cali donald trump hilary dumocrats
zombywoof

Post by zombywoof »

Terran wrote:QUOTE (Terran @ Feb 4 2019, 03:24 PM) no recap for the epic durdle game? :P
Winner recaps.
Don't find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain.
Cookie Monster wrote:QUOTE (Cookie Monster @ Apr 1 2009, 09:35 PM) But I don't read the forums I only post.
zombywoof

Post by zombywoof »

Holy forking shirtballs this is the stack from the game that Terran never recapped.
Cookie Monster wrote:QUOTE (Cookie Monster @ Apr 1 2009, 09:35 PM) But I don't read the forums I only post.
zombywoof

Post by zombywoof »

So for the above game I was asked to do a recap. I don't quite remember the settings so I'm just guessing it's 1/1, and I'm only 85% sure it was on Pyrite.

Terran (TF adv sup/Starbase/Tac) vs Phoenix1 (Draconium adv sup/tac/exp/starbase), 1.0/1.0 on Pyrite.

I had just commanded like two games in a row that were wins, and I think one of them was against Nightflame (the giga v belts game I mentioned earlier). I was kind of tired of commanding and wanted just another game where I would durdle a bit and see whether or not the team picked up the remaining slack. To taht end I split my cons early, sending both through the middle and pushing my TP ref high and my op low. Terran sent his TP high, so we both planted in the sector. I think we each blocked each other from the sups we wanted.

I then mined high with 4 miners and low with 4 miners before mining at my sup (which I put in the middle), letting me get to galvs fairly quickly as whoever Menacing_Pretzel is cleaned up TF scouts in a drac lt int. At the time I thoguht it might be Wasp, but I guess Wasp was on Blue for the whole game, and so I dunno who it actually was, but they listened to me and as a result got a fatty pile of kills. Isn't it weird how that happens? Guys, if you're flying for P1, she's on your side and wants to see you succeed and makes suggestions to see you succeed.

Anyways, the game gets very rapidly stacked but we are able to get to galvs and push Terran off the map. Unfortuantely, we're not able to take out Terran's miners, so I expand quickly with some techbases. Terran then goes on a bombing campaign which cleans up most of the bases, and Pretzel sets up a TP1 drop on the enemy home. Unfortunately, Ryu ripped out Terran's supremacy and I got baited into leaving the sector so the enemy supremacy got to rebuild after we took out theirs. Then Doomsday made a massive punt and died instead of getting pods, so the game was over.

Highlights for me are basically just watching my team fail to take out miners over and over again with gat3/df3/qf3 adv figs. That was special. Also, we held Thall to a sub 1 KD and Wasp went 12-10. How did that happen? Very easily: Terran got heavy scouts, so I just grabbed three doods (Wizard, Never, and myself) and sat on defense. But instead of doing the thing voobs do where we just sort of mill about the miner, I had Never on the miner (just in case someone shows up), Wizard with a fig near it, and me camping and flying around making sure that no one got in.

See, heavy scouts are *terrible* against positional play. They, like SFs, need to engage you at range and let their turret (or in the case of Rix, their front-facing mini-AC) damage you while you try to close in. But if you camp alephs, it's basically like flying an SF that doesn't have cloak. So all we did to stop the scouts is pay attention to the minimap and camp the alephs the scouts were going to come from. One trick that you can do while on scout D is simply watch the minimap. Most scout pilots will be eyed traveling through a sector, because with shields and missiles (or shields and boosting), their sig will be around 1.75, which means eye at around 4500 from a random base. Then when I see the scout, it's because it probably just entered. Wait 10, 15 seconds, then you start proxing from that point. A single scout permanently proxes the aleph for 90 seconds or so (probably more like 80-85 so that you're sure there's no time where the aleph is unproxed), which should be plenty of time to mine the rock and then go dock it. If the scout goes low sig and you don't see it, no problem! I have seeker2 and gat3 against an unshielded scout. Even a heavy scout isn't enough beef to win that fight when I start on top of them. And if the scout comes in slow, then it's just easy prey for the fighter I have on D. You bring the second nan in case something truly unusual happens, which should buy enough time for your team to show up and finish defending the miner.

One of the things about miner defense that I swear this community seems to have forgotten is that it's a team effort. The only way you should be losing miners on defense is if their whole team shows up on offense, and if THAT happens then either your whole team should be on defense (with a 2:1 ratio of nans to ints, so please for $#@!s sake STOP LAUNCHING INTS... COUNT who's there and launch nans unless there are already like 3 nans on it, in which case then you can launch an int. If you can't count fast enough to make a difference, just default to launching a nan: at the very least you can launch some missiles, try to prox, and buy enough time for someone else to launch an int.) or your whole team should be attacking a now-undefended miner.

Also, inb4 Nightflame theorycrafting on why I should have actually lost my miners: if Terran had done a multiple-fig rush on the miner, I would have simply sent it through an aleph away from the direction of the fig rush. And the reason I had Never flying a nanscout near the miner is so that I can ensure the miner lives long enough to reach the aleph, at which point four figs would have flown through prox trying to catch up with my miner. If I walked the miner AWAY from my garrison, at that point I would have walked it BACK to the garrison and just proxed the aleph again, buying myself even more time for the fig on d to clean up these now severely weakened fighters. It's harder to do this against a faction like IC (which doesn't have a speed nerf and has a significant damage perk, and you end up a little soft to minepack play) but it's still quite strong. Miner defense is just a time game, and miners are safe when you can pull them through a proxed aleph or get them on a green door... or at least should be. Sometimes the team is too busy probing a random mined-out sector to do useful stuff.
Last edited by zombywoof on Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terran

Post by Terran »

that's funny, the points seem to suggest it was you who won, not me :lol:

and just a comment on the game itself - i think i had autoaccept on? so yes it got super duper stacked to the point where i felt i should just durdle a bit instead of trying to win. i succeeded more than i intended, and as we were getting galved off the map i started to feel pretty bad losing with such a stack, so i started commanding and stuff and the bombing campaign was the result. ended up being really clutch, and yeah ripping out that sup was key (and also planting an uneyed tele back near that sector with the sup rock so i can rip the sup con in later). overall very fun game so i'm glad i durdled in the beginning and mid game even though it VERY nearly lost us the game. i could have just pulled a nightflame and pressed the advantage and game would end in 15-20 min. yawn.
JimmyNighthawk wrote:QUOTE (JimmyNighthawk @ Jun 30 2013, 11:32 PM) "Bavarian Sausage Anti-Ketchup Soap"[*]
Terran

Post by Terran »

oh. that order is really $#@!ed up. not ranked by points OR kills, or alphabetically... the hell did you do, rank them by likeability? i also hate cashto the most.
JimmyNighthawk wrote:QUOTE (JimmyNighthawk @ Jun 30 2013, 11:32 PM) "Bavarian Sausage Anti-Ketchup Soap"[*]
zombywoof

Post by zombywoof »

Terran wrote:QUOTE (Terran @ Feb 12 2019, 07:43 PM) (and also planting an uneyed tele back near that sector with the sup rock so i can rip the sup con in later).
Not uneyed, we just didn't have time to galv it. Another problem we had was the response time with about half of our team deciding to defend the sup that I told them to abandon -.-

Also, ask Paps, he's the guy who gave me the stats XD
Terran

Post by Terran »

like seriously... the only logical explanation for the order of players shown is to confuse the reader into thinking that you won :o
zombywoof

Post by zombywoof »

That's just the image that was given to me by paps. If you want to photoshop it so that it's in the "correct" order, feel free.
cashto

Post by cashto »

Terran wrote:QUOTE (Terran @ Feb 12 2019, 07:46 PM) oh. that order is really $#@!ed up. not ranked by points OR kills, or alphabetically... the hell did you do, rank them by likeability? i also hate cashto the most.
:sad:
Globemaster_III wrote:QUOTE (Globemaster_III @ Jan 11 2018, 11:27 PM) as you know i think very little of cashto, cashto alway a flying low pilot, he alway flying a trainer airplane and he rented