Cannot join game through Steam

User-to-user help and troubleshooting.
retread

Post by retread »

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CODE
Windows Version (and Service Packs):7,SP1
Video Card (Make and Model#):intel mobile 945 express chipset

Sound Card (Make and Model#):SoundMax Integrated chip digital HD audio
Connection Type (Dialup, Cable, DSL, other):DSL
Modem/Router (Make and Model#): Huwei
Internet Service Provider(company name):TELMEX
Location(State/Province/Locality, and Country): Todos Santos Baja California,Mexico.
Installed Mods:I have not installed any.

Make and Version of firewall:Windows 7 firewall
Make and version of anti-virus: BitDefender free edition version 10

Problem Encountered at Step #: (read the "What Should Happen" for this step#)step 10
Which Program (Community Security System/Allegiance):Allegiance
What Error Message:Nothing
Comments (What you tried, description, etc):
...<your comments here>...I pressed "JOIN GAME" and was instantly thrown back to the Steam Screen. I tried multiple times. I also tried from the Allegiance software that they installed. No joy.I played this game years ago and joined Steam (not thrilled having to do that) to try it again. So I am motivated. Normally I would not even bother,but like quite a few others,I feel that Allegiance is special. So, please, make an old man happy. Solve my problem.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ryujin

Post by ryujin »

I consistently lag out the first time I join a server. Right when I click "join game" (step 10), It seems like allegiance freezes up. Then about a minute or two later I'm in the lobby again, and the next time I click on "join game" it loads pretty quickly. Dunno if you waited that long or just killed the program first? Might be the same issue.
*#$@faced $#@!tard Troll
pkk

Post by pkk »

Are you able to do the training missions or does this error only occur when you try to join a live server?
The Escapist (Justin Emerson) @ Dec 21 2010, 02:33 PM:
The history of open-source Allegiance is paved with the bodies of dead code branches, forum flame wars, and personal vendettas. But a community remains because people still love the game.
retread

Post by retread »

pkk wrote:QUOTE (pkk @ Nov 18 2018, 07:08 AM) Are you able to do the training missions or does this error only occur when you try to join a live server?
No, pkk, I am unable to do the training missions either.The same thing happens>either I am returned to desktop if I use the link they installed or to the Steam page if I try to join a game through there. :o
Keep smilin.
pkk

Post by pkk »

Sounda like an issue with artwork or 3D engine...
The Escapist (Justin Emerson) @ Dec 21 2010, 02:33 PM:
The history of open-source Allegiance is paved with the bodies of dead code branches, forum flame wars, and personal vendettas. But a community remains because people still love the game.
TheRock

Post by TheRock »

Hey retread,
Looks like the update that was pushed yesterday is causing issues for you. Can you try running the game using windowed mode? It should be a selectable option when you launch the game from steam. Other players have mentioned crashing in fullscreen mode.

As a final resort. You could also downgrade the game (until I have fixed these issues) by right clicking on the allegiance entry in steam -> properties -> betas -> select the apri 2018 release. This will start a download which misses a lot of cool stuff, but may work better for you.
Image Image Image
retread

Post by retread »

Rock wrote:QUOTE (Rock @ Nov 18 2018, 02:53 PM) Hey retread,
Looks like the update that was pushed yesterday is causing issues for you. Can you try running the game using windowed mode? It should be a selectable option when you launch the game from steam. Other players have mentioned crashing in fullscreen mode.

As a final resort. You could also downgrade the game (until I have fixed these issues) by right clicking on the allegiance entry in steam -> properties -> betas -> select the apri 2018 release. This will start a download which misses a lot of cool stuff, but may work better for you.

Rock:
I went through the litany with no joy. Exactly the same bahaviour. Then I tried good ole R4. I believe I jumped ship (as it were) the first time, during R3. So, for me it was an upgrade too.I arrived at 'JOIN GAME' and, after a pause, I was informed that the client and servers were not in sync.
Next I tried the Training and all of that seemed to work. Except,sheesh, the mouse. I will chase that down later. I did get a note from windows during one of the futile attempts. here it is:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Allegiance.exe
Application Version: 1.9.57024.23828
Application Timestamp: 5ae7b3a0
Fault Module Name: Allegiance.exe
Fault Module Version: 1.9.57024.23828
Fault Module Timestamp: 5ae7b3a0
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0027811c
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Hope that helps. I also noted event logs in the allegiance files when I finally found them. Do you want one of those? :ninja:
BackTrak

Post by BackTrak »

Hi Retread,

I have a hunch that you may have clicked on "Microsoft Allegiance High Resolution Textures" under the DLC tab in the steam properties for Allegiance. Based on the dump file you uploaded in Discord, I believe that you are hitting the limit on the textures that can be loaded by your card. Could you please verify that you have this option unchecked by going into the steam app, then right click on Allegiance in your game library select "Properties", then select the DLC tab, and ensure that this option is unselected. Then go to the "Local Files" tab and select "Verify Integrity of Game Files". This should repair your installation. If it does not, go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Allegiance and rename the Artwork directory to Artwork1 (or some such), and then try "Verify Integrity of Game Files" again so that you get a fresh artwork directory without the high-res pack.

Thanks for your patience!

-BT
ImageImage
retread

Post by retread »

BackTrak wrote:QUOTE (BackTrak @ Nov 21 2018, 01:05 PM) Hi Retread,

I have a hunch that you may have clicked on "Microsoft Allegiance High Resolution Textures" under the DLC tab in the steam properties for Allegiance. Based on the dump file you uploaded in Discord, I believe that you are hitting the limit on the textures that can be loaded by your card. Could you please verify that you have this option unchecked by going into the steam app, then right click on Allegiance in your game library select "Properties", then select the DLC tab, and ensure that this option is unselected. Then go to the "Local Files" tab and select "Verify Integrity of Game Files". This should repair your installation. If it does not, go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Allegiance and rename the Artwork directory to Artwork1 (or some such), and then try "Verify Integrity of Game Files" again so that you get a fresh artwork directory without the high-res pack.

Thanks for your patience!

-BT
I could not find this "DLC" tab in properties,so I went the other route and renamed the folder.
So i saw that it was replaced. Made not one iota of difference. Shortly after that ,after I admittedly paged through a couple of betas , up pops Steam informing me that "SIDE BY SIDE" was broken and please go see the ten options to fix it. I have had it I am afraid. Thanks for your attention anyway.
retread

Post by retread »

retread wrote:QUOTE (retread @ Nov 21 2018, 08:21 PM) I could not find this "DLC" tab in properties,so I went the other route and renamed the folder.
So i saw that it was replaced. Made not one iota of difference. Shortly after that ,after I admittedly paged through a couple of betas , up pops Steam informing me that "SIDE BY SIDE" was broken and please go see the ten options to fix it. I have had it I am afraid. Thanks for your attention anyway.

I looked on Discord one last time tonight and there was Wasp informing me that R4 was cleaned up and ready to go. Sure enough I was able to start a test game and everything was great,.The nostalgia from years ago! One thing though: although the mouse works in all the other screens,I cant pilot the ship with it.Keyboard flying is not my thing. Really difficult. :o