Currently in BrexitLand

Non-Allegiance related. High probability of spam. Pruned regularly.
peet

Post by peet »

Negotiation deal, but volatile political situation. Some people left. May may face tough negotiations. Will she survive a possible vote of distrust?
peet

Post by peet »

Oh my... What is going on in London?
Papsmear

Post by Papsmear »

Links please
ImageImage
peet

Post by peet »

7 people resigned, letter of distrust...

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-politics-46200010
Terran

Post by Terran »

lol. i can kind of understand why lots of people are annoyed at her leadership. she's uncharismatic and seems to lack leadership in the way she sits on the fence rather than pick one camp (brexit) or the other. on the other hand, going full speed into either one of those options seems to be really bad - remain, and you undermine everyone's trust in your democracy... fully leave, and you $#@! over your economy and the liberal order writ large. what are people so upset about? is the fact that she isn't pushing for a 2nd referendum the source of everyone's beef? doing that would introduce a whole new set of uncertainties as it is not nearly as straightforward as most people think, plus she'd still be undermining people's trust in democracy. the optimist in me feels like a 2nd referendum would be the least bad option, but nobody really knows if the results will be favourable :lol:
JimmyNighthawk wrote:QUOTE (JimmyNighthawk @ Jun 30 2013, 11:32 PM) "Bavarian Sausage Anti-Ketchup Soap"[*]
Raveen

Post by Raveen »

So we have a deal. The only deal that is likely to be available. The people who wanted Brexit have mostly run away so that they can claim that they could have done it better without anything as inconvenient as having to demonstrate that. The people who didn't want Brexit are pointing out exactly why this is worse than the status quo. The health minister cannot guarantee that people won't die if there's no deal at all.

At this point if there's a democratic deficit it's between what was promised and what reality dictates.
ImageImage
Spidey: Can't think of a reason I'd need to know anything
Stone

Post by Stone »

Raveen wrote:QUOTE (Raveen @ Nov 16 2018, 08:28 AM) So we have a deal. The only deal that is likely to be available. The people who wanted Brexit have mostly run away so that they can claim that they could have done it better without anything as inconvenient as having to demonstrate that. The people who didn't want Brexit are pointing out exactly why this is worse than the status quo. The health minister cannot guarantee that people won't die if there's no deal at all.

At this point if there's a democratic deficit it's between what was promised and what reality dictates.
"You want Brexit? This is the Brexit that you get. This is the only one available. Are you sure you want it?"
It's all about learning from your mistakes, and boy have I learned alot.
Canka

Post by Canka »

It's a utterly horrible deal. Just leaving, no questions asked, would probably be better at this point.

Worse than that, it is NOT a "Leave" deal. The UK would still be bound by EU laws and regulations. The UK also won't be able to get out of the deal unless the EU allows it.

To me it sound more like slavery rather than the independence Brits wanted.
Raveen

Post by Raveen »

Define better. Because for my money "There will be adequate food" and "I cannot guarantee that people won't die" are pretty compelling arguments against any sort of no deal. That and the international law around the Good Friday Agreement and the general unwillingness to go back to the days of kids being exploded in shopping centres.

And you're right, it's not a leave deal. It's the withdrawal agreement that will in theory be superseded by the deal once that's been negotiated.

It's almost like a significant proportion of the British public said this was a bad idea for exactly these sorts of reasons two years ago.
ImageImage
Spidey: Can't think of a reason I'd need to know anything
SumVeritas

Post by SumVeritas »

It's better cause you won't have those ugly red passports anymore
Duckwarrior wrote:QUOTE (Duckwarrior @ Mar 8 2017, 09:38 PM) Desert eagle .50 cal from beechcraft bonanza as fly poor people over doctor son beechcraft bonanza trump beef texas ping pong boat 400k doctor son beefsteak good texas cali donald trump hilary dumocrats