New beta version patch notes

Front page items.
MagisterXF94

Post by MagisterXF94 »

Beta client has been updated

The beta contains many little features and bugfixes, but we are in need of testing and feedback on four big features. We are expecting problems here, and parts of it may be temporarily reverted when we push for a new release.

High resolution textures
- High resolution texture pack is used by default (Blacksun, Rock)
- Removed "Use high resolution textures" configuration toggle in the options menu. The /Textures directory is now always used, but this method is deprecated in favour of using the /Mods directory (Rock)

Introscreen UI update
- Implemented a separate UI system based on the old UI system and the Lua programming language (Rock)
- Merged introscreen, motd and server browser into a new UI (Bunny, Rock)
- Added "Use old UI" toggle in esc->game to switch between the new and old UI. (Rock)
- Implemented new credits screen (Rock)

Modding
- Changed how artwork files are loaded by the game. It should not be necessary anymore to change/overwrite files in Artwork. Next to your "Allegiance.exe" and your "Artwork" directory, create a "Mods" directory. For each mod package, create a directory inside this "Mods" directory. The game will look through these directories before falling back to the default artwork. (Rock)

Training (Radulfr)
- Major improvements for wingman AI.
- Lots of online capabilities ported to offline.
- All used in training mission 6. Also enemy waves for it and stuff.

##############################
Current patch notes for the rest of the changes:
Gameplay
- Changed the interceptor's default loadout to only have one pulse probe equipped (Radulfr)
- The autopilot will try to land on a carrier it is sent to. (Radulfr)
- Firing the boosters sets the throttle to 100% (Radulfr)

UI
- Showing hover text for in-game objects in the Command View (and free mouse mode) (Radulfr)
- The Command View can be moved with the side-thrust keys (Radulfr)
- On trying to map a used key, the "Map Keys and Controls" panel shows what the key is currently bound to. (Radulfr)
- Removed confirmation dialog when quitting the game (Loran)

General Graphics
- Removed lots of obsolete code related to texture manipulation (Rock)
- Changed font rendering method in some places to allow for scaling fonts (Rock)

Sound
- Implemented code for side thrusting sounds, currently still points at the same sound files as forward thrust.(LANS)

Bug Fixes
- Fixed client issues with team names having % characters in it (Rock)

##############################
We also have a bunch of exciting stuff that we can't show you yet because they are server changes which require a server update:

Gameplay
- Towers now prioritize targeting ships over missiles (Radulfr)

Utility AI (Radulfr)
- Tech constructors do not auto-build on an available rock anymore. Instead they move to it and request orders.
- Miners will avoid going into sectors which have bases from both sides.
- Miners will consider sectors that are entirely surrounded by friendly sectors as safe to mine in. (Also tech cons will look for their rock there.)
- When miners start going to a new sector to mine, a notification will be shown to everyone on the team on the bottom of the screen.
- When docked in a station which has enemies nearby, miners will be more hesitant to undock without being ordered to. (Without being ordered to stay docked)
- When sending a miner to a sector without specifying a task, a reasonable one is chosen right away instead of once the miner is in the sector. This prevents the miner from going straight back to the previous sector.
The miner docks if damaged or full, mines otherwise, and If neither can be done, it will move to the center of the sector. This does not apply to unexplored sectors.
- Miners will not go back to the previously mined He3 asteroid, if they can't fill 50% of their cargo on it. Instead they will look for the best rock after unloading, which may still send them back to the previous rock.
- If being sent to a sector by a player command, the miner will remember the sector. After unloading, it will first check if anything more can be mined in that sector.

Training changes' effects on Phoenix faction (Radulfr)
- Drones don't ram their target anymore
- Drones stay in range better and don't overboost as much
- Drones will stop shooting unseen enemies after a few seconds
- Drones will look for a new target when their's is unreachable
- Drones can be set to defend a target and act semi-smartly
- Drones can dock with a carrier

Bug Fixes
- Steam achievement "Your probe spotted a high value enemy target!" should now be working. (Xynth)
QUOTE ^cashto@Elem (all): yeah, i imagine if you're rusty, you could build op short for no reason, build a naked ref, then go two techpaths even though your mining is by all objective standards $#@!ed[/quote]
TheRock

Post by TheRock »

Code: Select all

How to enable the beta?
In steam, right click on the game -> "Properties". In the window that opens up go to the "Betas" tab and select "next-release". The beta access code can be left empty.
Steam should automatically start updating the game with the new build. To switch back to the regular build, go through the same process but select "None - Opt out of all beta programs" .
Image Image Image
LANS

Post by LANS »

Does this update include my -10dB ship dings and autopilot voice? If not, can we please push those?
ImageImage
TheRock

Post by TheRock »

Yes. It includes everything (besides server changes) from the current master and master artwork.
Image Image Image
Adaven

Post by Adaven »

How does one order a tech con to build if you are out of base?
Radulfr

Post by Radulfr »

The same way you do most everything else as comm -- you shout at your team :D

But seriously you can select the tech con and send it to a sector. Its default action is still to build. I just stopped it from doing so on spawn.
Last edited by Radulfr on Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adaven

Post by Adaven »

Radulfr wrote:QUOTE (Radulfr @ Jan 6 2018, 12:26 PM) The same way you do most everything else as comm -- you shout at your team :D

But seriously you can select the tech con and send it to a sector. Its default action is still to build. I just stopped it from doing so on spawn.
Perfect!
Mastametz

Post by Mastametz »

finally
There's a new sheriff in town.
Shizoku

Post by Shizoku »

Oh gosh now I have to relearn miner AI.
raumvogel

Post by raumvogel »

My install has bugs already but this beta has un-stabilized my keys and sound as well as my ability to switch stations....all randomly.