back to working on Alleg

A place to post suggestions for new features, new bugs, and comments about the existing code.
KGJV

Post by KGJV »

I've got some free time ahead (not much per week so don't expect fast miracles).

I'll work on some ideas that seem feasible.

All my work with be hosted at: https://github.com/kgersen/Allegiance

Issues are welcomed as well as PR. The 'management' here is free to pick what they want and add it to their 'game'. Everything I do is open source with no strings attached.

The plan:

First I've added to the source the files to work with the latest Visual Studio (2017), see the "VS 2017" commit.

Then I've started working on the screen resolution issue #226

The fix was simple to do but the result is a bit ugly when not flying.
The next step to is to fix that ugliness and the next one is to add a 'windowed bordeless mode' #227

at that point it will be probably 2018 :)

Once that's done, further ahead I might be working on (in no particular order):

-get ride of the Windows registry and move configuration stuff to files (could be .ini files for instance)
-get ride of acss and use firebase/google for auth and to store stuff in the cloud (mapping, config, etc).
-move lobby & game server to docker containers (Linux containers with Windows inside QEMU/KVM or by using Wine - TBD) -> plan is to get ride of 'Windows on metal' for hosting lobby and game servers.
- secondary screen(s) in browser: add an http server to the client (allegiance.exe) and serve some game informations from it (chat, ship stats, map, etc). The goal is to use either an external device (a tablet, another pc, a console on a TV, etc anything that can run a web browser) or a web browser on the same machine but on a different monitor for instance (for dual+ monitors setup).
MagisterXF94

Post by MagisterXF94 »

Let me know how can I Help.
QUOTE ^cashto@Elem (all): yeah, i imagine if you're rusty, you could build op short for no reason, build a naked ref, then go two techpaths even though your mining is by all objective standards $#@!ed[/quote]
KGJV

Post by KGJV »

try testing #226 (just merge changes from this branch: https://github.com/kgersen/Allegiance/tree/windows-size )

I dunno if you can build a 'beta' client and push it for everyone, if so that would rock to test this change.
Papsmear

Post by Papsmear »

God to have you back KGJV.
Can you have a look at Wasp's post here: index...60&start=60
Maybe you can offer some suggestions to help fix that issue?
ImageImage
KGJV

Post by KGJV »

Papsmear wrote:QUOTE (Papsmear @ May 21 2017, 07:50 PM) God to have you back KGJV.
Can you have a look at Wasp's post here: index...60&start=60
Maybe you can offer some suggestions to help fix that issue?
I don't want to go near that issue again right now. I've already lost many hours on it for nothing.

To be a bit blunt: I'll just do what I want like I want. If some of what I do is reused by this community that's fine but my plan is to build my own game for me.
LoB

Post by LoB »

Nice to hear some delevopment is happening :)
Papsmear

Post by Papsmear »

KGJV wrote:QUOTE (KGJV @ May 21 2017, 02:25 PM) I don't want to go near that issue again right now. I've already lost many hours on it for nothing.

To be a bit blunt: I'll just do what I want like I want. If some of what I do is reused by this community that's fine but my plan is to build my own game for me.
No problem Kage, do whatever makes you happy.
That's totally cool.
I'm sure whatever you do will be used by the community.

Regards
Paps
ImageImage
KGJV

Post by KGJV »

few updates:

The screen rez/size fix is almost done. I've postponing it a bit because I need to revive TM7 (Training mission 7 Explore Tech (aka standalone game)) 1st because then it's easier to text gfx stuff 'as in the game' (combat practice training mission isn't a real game).

Instead of reviving it with the current standalone AllSrv which requires registration of agc.dll and other stuff, I've started the 'huge' task of getting ride agc and all ole/com stuff.

First for the server then probably for the lobby too (but it's not mandatory since I keep directplay for now). This might break ACSS and other 'security'/stats stuff , actually anything that com/ole with the game server. Some adaptation might be needed here if the community wants to use that code.

But these changes are done in a special branch: https://github.com/kgersen/Allegiance/tree/kgwork so not to break everything.

Once I have a running AllSrv with no agc/com/ole stuff , i'll then re-implement TM7 so I can work back on gfx/ui stuff more easily. I'm shooting end of june as an ETA for this.
Also this will probably allow to use Linux to host Allegiance game servers (if "winetricks directplay" still works) ...well it's a mandatory step anyway. removing DirectPlay been the hardest and final step.

if anyone want to follow/comments(here)/help this plan, I've setup a github project called 'Alephs' at https://github.com/kgersen/Allegiance/projects/1 to give some visibility.
Last edited by KGJV on Tue May 30, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raumvogel

Post by raumvogel »

Let us know when you need testers.
KGJV

Post by KGJV »

some news:

- I haven't done much work these past 2 months, I have been swamped at work & home.
- I still plan to do what is listed on the main project: https://github.com/kgersen/Allegiance/projects/1 (ie the foundation for a solo game called "Alephs", based on Allegiance).
- The recent 'MIT' licence change is very welcomed. I'll take some time to think about how I can eventually backport some of "Alephs" code changes into Allegiance community code (in current state Alephs code changes breaks everything related to anti-cheating, stats and auth...aka everything related to ACSS which should go anyway so no big deal)