Keymap 2016 discussion

Catch-all for all development not having a specific forum.
CaptainNigligence

Post by CaptainNigligence »

I've done enough.
Terran

Post by Terran »

:lol:

i love this thread
JimmyNighthawk wrote:QUOTE (JimmyNighthawk @ Jun 30 2013, 11:32 PM) "Bavarian Sausage Anti-Ketchup Soap"[*]
ShadowFox_

Post by ShadowFox_ »

Where is the cock block?
Image§hadowFoxxImage
ImageImage
Papsmear

Post by Papsmear »

Great thread!!!!!!!
Someone fix something please.
ImageImage
Bunnywabbit

Post by Bunnywabbit »

I have been hammering out a proposal with Thallium, BlackDutchie and Rock

Mouse mappings:
fire weapon = MB1
Fire Missile = MB2
Drop Prox / Probe = MB3
Throttle = Mousewheel

(yes, we're going to go ahead and assume people have mousewheels)

Movement centers around WADX for lateral thrusting,
Spacebar for Fw thrust, S for Backthrust
Shift+Space for boosting
Q and E for rolling
Mousewheel for throttle

It's not exactly WASD, but the keyboard pattern is obvious enough that a new player can easily remember it (WASDX makes a nice cross). Also it emphasises that strafing is a thing you should definitely do in this game.

Forward movement is focused on the spacebar, with shift for the booster. This way none of the digits are occupied with forward thrust or boosting, leaving them free for lateral movement.
I know this sounds a bit weird, but it is actually damn effective.

Here's the layout.

BlackDutchie and Rock are still discussing it, and we're still ironing out details, but you can see where it is going.

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gi...d3cf615f802584e

I'm sure they'll comment here if need be.
ImageImage current version r158 new beta as of jan 23 2012
Xynth

Post by Xynth »

Don't have much opinion on default keymapping. Most people will change it to suite their taste once they get into the game

However, we absolutely need an image like the one shown in your keyboard-layout-editor link available on the wiki as one of the first things people see. The Training button is going to open this page the first time you click it:

http://www.freeallegiance.org/FAW/index.php/Begin_playing

So a keymap image would be great there. I know one of the first things I do when I start a new game is go to the key map config to learn the controls. Would be great to not make them fight with that 2000 era gui.
Xynth@PK
Blackdutch

Post by Blackdutch »

Last edited by Blackdutch on Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deathrender

Post by Deathrender »

FPS keymap

CTRL is still a staple for ship manipulation. Ctrl 1-8 will swap the corresponding selection of guns, missiles, shield, cloak, mines. The countermeasure button and Afterburner button are absolutely useless.

Ctrl R for Reload, Ctrl T for manual Teleport. These options will bridge the learning of swapping inventory slots as you have to use Ctrl + R to reload, now you're only learning to switch to Ctrl 1 to mount nans. I may set T to exclusively be Teleport, but I worry that the key may accidentally be hit during combat.

Ctrl G stays for Grid. This may be something worth changing.

Anything beyond the core keys of flight on the left side of the keyboard can be learned later on as they're not essential to flight.

Arguments in Discord over Tab boost and Shift + Spacebar boost, I've implemented both. Tab is the easy go-to boost for new players.

Your essential utility keys surround the movement keys and are all accessible with your free fingers. I've attempted to place them in convenient spots that are easy to remember.

TOGGLE MOUSE is set to F2 for laptop users and remains at Numpad 0 for desktop M&K users for ease of access. I've removed non-essential camera options and added an easy turret eject button. Ctrl Shift DDD is still available, but F8 F8 F8 is also an easy option to learn.

Shift provides some alternate targeting options (seen on bottom right of some keys that are yellow or green)

Shift and Ctrl display what they are associated with on the keymap. Otherwise Shift is not fully utilized and the player may bind the target options that they wish to add.

Criticisms welcome.
Last edited by Deathrender on Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phoenix1 wrote:QUOTE (phoenix1 @ Jul 22 2017, 05:58 PM) Mini ac gunner mount was removed because somewhere along the lines we had a core dev that said, "I really hate Terran and want him to be miserable." And all core devs ever since have agreed.
zombywoof

Post by zombywoof »

I just want to say: thank GOD the new default will have "yes" and "no" defaulted to "y" and "n". Took me way too long to figure out how to vote no.
Don't find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain.
Cookie Monster wrote:QUOTE (Cookie Monster @ Apr 1 2009, 09:35 PM) But I don't read the forums I only post.
Deathrender

Post by Deathrender »

phoenix1 wrote:QUOTE (phoenix1 @ Oct 5 2017, 03:00 PM) I just want to say: thank NICOLAS CAGE the new default will have "yes" and "no" defaulted to "y" and "n". Took me way too long to figure out how to vote no.
I'm trying to find a spot to place them that laptop players can also use.

Home and End work, but I don't know if certain laptop players won't be able to use them.
Last edited by Deathrender on Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phoenix1 wrote:QUOTE (phoenix1 @ Jul 22 2017, 05:58 PM) Mini ac gunner mount was removed because somewhere along the lines we had a core dev that said, "I really hate Terran and want him to be miserable." And all core devs ever since have agreed.