Star Citizen

Non-Allegiance related. High probability of spam. Pruned regularly.
Raveen

Post by Raveen »

Big news overnight is the article on The Escapist detailing allegations from alleged ex and current employees of CIG.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/v...tm_campaign=all

I didn't buy into SC and I've been wondering whether it'll ever be finished for a while now (even before Derek Smart got his oar in). At the moment I think CIG have a PR mountain to climb to make themselves look competent but I'm not following their missives to backers closely so I may only be getting one side of the story.

That said, it looks to me like SC is at the point of collapse. In 6 months time I guess we'll have an answer either way.

I know some folks backed SC and I'd be interested in what they think is going to happen.
ImageImage
Spidey: Can't think of a reason I'd need to know anything
HSharp

Post by HSharp »

That article has caused quite the stir over the past 48 hours but not all the negative has landed on CIG. The army of Star Citizen loyalists have scoured the interwebs and it looks like what a lot of the sources in the article say are on a website called glassdoor which has anonymous reviews of companies from current and former employees and quite a lot of stuff seems to be used word for word.

There isn't a lot of verifiable sources in the article so quite a lot of stuff is printed with allegedly before it.

Chris Roberts does seem to want to make a movie though and likes spending money on celebrity voice actors but it's unclear whether the money is not being used on developing the game or not. Anyway you look at it it has taken far too long since the project has started for what is available to see and play so I am glad that I haven't backed it but I am wary on how accurate the escapist's article is as a lot of it seems like conjecture.

It is unsurprising to see Derek Smart acting like Derek Smart (which is to say as a a tool)
finisher2

Post by finisher2 »

IDK, considering what ED has achieved and what SC has achieved, I'm more inclined to think SC will be successful. They haven't tied a lot of their accomplishments together into a whole, but the pieces look delicious. ED produced a whole game, but every aspect of it is about as weak as it possibly could be. So I presume CIG has set their goalposts further and people's impatience has nothing to do with how long it takes to make an awesome game. Who else has even tried to make a FPS where you can pilot a craft, a multicrewed craft, walk around inside it, exit it, board another craft, have a firefight, take the ship, and start piloting it. I mean, holy $#@!!

I haven't backed it, but I sure as @#(! will buy it when it's out. I drool to think of those mechanics, and imagine it as allegiance ++. Real opportunities for some glorious tactical and strategic gameplay.
HSharp

Post by HSharp »

fin wrote:QUOTE (fin @ Oct 2 2015, 09:28 PM) Who else has even tried to make a FPS where you can pilot a craft, a multicrewed craft, walk around inside it, exit it, board another craft, have a firefight, take the ship, and start piloting it. I mean, holy $#@!!
Just an FYI, this is pretty much what Derek Smart said he was going to do for Battlecruiser 3000AD, the result was not pretty.
finisher2

Post by finisher2 »

HSharp wrote:QUOTE (HSharp @ Oct 2 2015, 09:33 PM) Just an FYI, this is pretty much what Derek Smart said he was going to do for Battlecruiser 3000AD, the result was not pretty.
Yeah but have you seen the promotional SC material? It's piecemeal, but it sure IS pretty.
Deathrender

Post by Deathrender »

HSharp wrote:QUOTE (HSharp @ Oct 2 2015, 06:33 PM) Just an FYI, this is pretty much what Derek Smart said he was going to do for Battlecruiser 3000AD, the result was not pretty.
BC3K was released in 96. Thats 20 years ago.

I'm not buying into the idea that SC is going to be a game that releases without issue. I'm also not buying into this article.
phoenix1 wrote:QUOTE (phoenix1 @ Jul 22 2017, 05:58 PM) Mini ac gunner mount was removed because somewhere along the lines we had a core dev that said, "I really hate Terran and want him to be miserable." And all core devs ever since have agreed.
sunrodent

Post by sunrodent »

Raveen wrote:QUOTE (Raveen @ Oct 2 2015, 07:28 AM) Big news overnight is the article on The Escapist detailing allegations from alleged ex and current employees of CIG.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/v...tm_campaign=all

I didn't buy into SC and I've been wondering whether it'll ever be finished for a while now (even before Derek Smart got his oar in). At the moment I think CIG have a PR mountain to climb to make themselves look competent but I'm not following their missives to backers closely so I may only be getting one side of the story.

That said, it looks to me like SC is at the point of collapse. In 6 months time I guess we'll have an answer either way.

I know some folks backed SC and I'd be interested in what they think is going to happen.
much ado about nothing at first. Now however the SC Lawyer is involved and Derek Smart and Lizzie the author and others have received letter today and Chris Roberts gave them the same 24 hours to respond that they gave him. @#(! is about to hit the fan. best Drama all month. Possible lawsuits in UK and USA.

personally i think Derek Smart and Lizzie are in trouble and may be facing financial difficulties in the future. SC is in no way in any trouble and if it goes to court SC will win. That's what i think.

Where we are so far i would say half way there.

https://youtu.be/iZtEEAdEihg
Last edited by sunrodent on Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is Funny, without it yer Dead.
MrChaos

Post by MrChaos »

Go read the update on the Escapist and click on the editor's comments linkee iit addressed the Glass door comment, and Derek Smart too... just saying
Ssssh
sunrodent

Post by sunrodent »

MrChaos wrote:QUOTE (MrChaos @ Oct 4 2015, 10:08 PM) Go read the update on the Escapist and click on the editor's comments linkee iit addressed the Glass door comment, and Derek Smart too... just saying
old news. have you read CIG letter to escapist from Lawyer yet?

tried to post letter here couldn't do it.
Last edited by sunrodent on Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is Funny, without it yer Dead.
MrChaos

Post by MrChaos »

Nope but they hardly let it hit the internet without vetting it first via lawyers and such. That wasn't the vibe that several people posted here.

Derek whoever had nothing to do with their story
The people interviewed left Glass door comments but we're interviewed before it
Nine separate people came forward

Hardly what was posted here initially

Sounds like a @#(!ty place to work most likely because they are taking negative press and innertubez chatter while burning through cash trying to meet unrealistic goals with unrealistic timing. The job is stressful and people are acting poorly because of it is how I read it *shrug* It isn't fun... Welcome to the concept that sometimes jobs can suck
Ssssh