PCore010

Discussion / Announcement area for PCore development.
Raven_42

Post by Raven_42 »

Some encouraging dialogue.

Most notably of the disagreements I agree with 32/Shiz`s arguments that TF doesn't need those changes. Yeah low sig scouts, scout hunting becomes hardly viable in many cases, but they are still very useful deployed right. How about:

Reducing sig of plas gens? Makes a defending early game scout more of an obstacle at least.

More fuel on lt ints, reg figs? Earlier chances to catch scouts

Shiz SC tower point++. However, there were good reasons why small games and dual sc towers were a bit of an easy lockout, again, the problem is somewhat one of teamwork and population, not core.

Code: Select all

[img]http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/4351/babelfish.png[/img]
MagisterXF94

Post by MagisterXF94 »

Off topic sorry.
But can you remove pheonix from pcore10?
I want to see if people still crash when Allegiance loads the igc file, with too many high res textures into memory.
Thanks
QUOTE ^cashto@Elem (all): yeah, i imagine if you're rusty, you could build op short for no reason, build a naked ref, then go two techpaths even though your mining is by all objective standards $#@!ed[/quote]
zombywoof

Post by zombywoof »

You can use PCore008_NP for that kind of testing. It should still be up on servers.
Don't find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain.
Cookie Monster wrote:QUOTE (Cookie Monster @ Apr 1 2009, 09:35 PM) But I don't read the forums I only post.
Terran

Post by Terran »

Wait so you say TF needs a huge buff but then you proceed to take away their starting enh cons but giving their scouts a 1875 piece of tech?? Logic??
JimmyNighthawk wrote:QUOTE (JimmyNighthawk @ Jun 30 2013, 11:32 PM) "Bavarian Sausage Anti-Ketchup Soap"[*]
zombywoof

Post by zombywoof »

Terran wrote:QUOTE (Terran @ Apr 3 2015, 09:02 AM) Wait so you say TF needs a huge buff but then you proceed to take away their starting enh cons but giving their scouts a 1875 piece of tech?? Logic??
This is probably the most ignorant, asinine, absurd comment I've ever heard.

ENH cons doesn't actually help them all that much. It's an 18 m/s boost. Let's assume that the cons travel 10k across a pile of sectors. The basic cons will get there in 3 minutes. The enh cons will get there in 2 minutes, 20 seconds. That's a tempo saving of 40 seconds.

I'm planning on shoring up TF's game for the first 6 minutes while also correcting what is, in my mind, a gameplay oversight. Forgetting whether or not it's a buff, there is *no good reason* for TF to not start with lt boost.

If you're going to try and make me look like an idiot, at least think about what you're saying first. Next you'll be telling me the reason that Bios wants to pick up mini2 is because it saves them $2500.

And for whether or not it "dumbs down" TF, that's absurd. Removing gameplay traps might "dumb down" the game by making it easier, but that's actually good for design overall. Right now there's no skillcheck with TF's lt booster, there's just "do you realize that you have to spend the money on it or not?" While strictly speaking that "encourages" knowledge by making the more knowledgeable commanders succeed more, it's just stupid. Everyone who's commanded TF at least once knows that you should be buying lt booster because you need it. The only person you're really punishing by "not dumbing down" this particular section is the person who is commanding TF for the very first time, who will only realize that they should have bought light booster when some vet yells at them for not having already bought it.

In other words: there's no gameplay decision created by the necessity of purchasing lt booster, it's just another hump for TF to climb.

If I wanted to dumb down TF I'd increase their speed or give them enh cons or make their miners have much higher capacities, or basically anything that makes them more similar to other factions.

TL/DR:

Terran, try again.

Shiz, while technically you're correct (the best kind of correct), I'd rather "dumb down" the core if it means removing newbie/voob traps.
Last edited by zombywoof on Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain.
Cookie Monster wrote:QUOTE (Cookie Monster @ Apr 1 2009, 09:35 PM) But I don't read the forums I only post.
Terran

Post by Terran »

phoenix1 wrote:QUOTE (phoenix1 @ Apr 3 2015, 12:51 PM) This is probably the most ignorant, asinine, absurd comment I've ever heard.

ENH cons doesn't actually help them all that much. It's an 18 m/s boost. Let's assume that the cons travel 10k across a pile of sectors. The basic cons will get there in 3 minutes. The enh cons will get there in 2 minutes, 20 seconds. That's a tempo saving of 40 seconds.

I'm planning on shoring up TF's game for the first 6 minutes while also correcting what is, in my mind, a gameplay oversight. Forgetting whether or not it's a buff, there is *no good reason* for TF to not start with lt boost.

If you're going to try and make me look like an idiot, at least think about what you're saying first. Next you'll be telling me the reason that Bios wants to pick up mini2 is because it saves them $2500.

And for whether or not it "dumbs down" TF, that's absurd. Removing gameplay traps might "dumb down" the game by making it easier, but that's actually good for design overall. Right now there's no skillcheck with TF's lt booster, there's just "do you realize that you have to spend the money on it or not?" While strictly speaking that "encourages" knowledge by making the more knowledgeable commanders succeed more, it's just stupid. Everyone who's commanded TF at least once knows that you should be buying lt booster because you need it. The only person you're really punishing by "not dumbing down" this particular section is the person who is commanding TF for the very first time, who will only realize that they should have bought light booster when some vet yells at them for not having already bought it.

In other words: there's no gameplay decision created by the necessity of purchasing lt booster, it's just another hump for TF to climb.

If I wanted to dumb down TF I'd increase their speed or give them enh cons or make their miners have much higher capacities, or basically anything that makes them more similar to other factions.

TL/DR:

Terran, try again.

Shiz, while technically you're correct (the best kind of correct), I'd rather "dumb down" the core if it means removing newbie/voob traps.
you're equating enh cons perk to it just being 18m/s faster??? that's it?? dude
JimmyNighthawk wrote:QUOTE (JimmyNighthawk @ Jun 30 2013, 11:32 PM) "Bavarian Sausage Anti-Ketchup Soap"[*]
ThePhantom032

Post by ThePhantom032 »

Lt boost will not improve tfs initial performance by much - mostly because most of your scouts have to stick with the cons until they plant anyway, and lt boost offers only weak acceleration - it is not a combat booster.

Making that initial time shorter by having faster and tougher cons is much more important than a booster that will only allow voobs to run to their death against skilled pilots faster.
Still ready to teach anyone who asks nicely whatever they want to know about playing alleg. Contrary to popular opinion I do not eat newbies. Voobs taste much better.
Deathrender

Post by Deathrender »

So I take it P1 is done with all this? Taking an extended break?
phoenix1 wrote:QUOTE (phoenix1 @ Jul 22 2017, 05:58 PM) Mini ac gunner mount was removed because somewhere along the lines we had a core dev that said, "I really hate Terran and want him to be miserable." And all core devs ever since have agreed.
raumvogel

Post by raumvogel »

Deathrender wrote:QUOTE (Deathrender @ Jun 14 2015, 08:10 PM) So I take it P1 is done with all this? Taking an extended break?
Were waiting for him to "rise" again. :lol:
Deathrender

Post by Deathrender »

raumvogel wrote:QUOTE (raumvogel @ Jun 15 2015, 10:48 AM) Were waiting for him to "rise" again. :lol:
He owes me a pizza for this.

Come back, bby.
phoenix1 wrote:QUOTE (phoenix1 @ Jul 22 2017, 05:58 PM) Mini ac gunner mount was removed because somewhere along the lines we had a core dev that said, "I really hate Terran and want him to be miserable." And all core devs ever since have agreed.