Automated Pilots for non-peak times

A place to post suggestions for new features, new bugs, and comments about the existing code.
Tyng

Post by Tyng »

I know nothing of the coding language that is used for Allegiance, but I hope something like this is feasible.

------How automated players have helped in another game (skip if you just want to know what I propose for Allegiance)-------

Allegiance isn't the only old game that I've started playing again. I've also started playing Wolfenstein ET again. THAT game came out around the same time Allegiance did, and it still gets full servers regularly. People haven't converted to the more recent FPS games for good. The game WAS dying down for a while, but then servers began implementing bots that would play whenever the player count went below a certain threshold.

Years after these bots were implemented, I've hardly ever played a game at any time of the day where there aren't enough people to cause the bots to leave the game. I used to see them all the time in the late late hours. It was never as fulfilling a killing another player was, but the bots knew what the objective was, and they could always sneak up on me and push me back if I wasn't careful.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm like most players...I want there to be a decent sized team on both sides when I play a team game. I stick to it with Allegiance because of how amazing each unique game is to me, regardless of how "bad" the games might be. However, whenever I see only 2-4 people on the server, I tend to either play a solo game just to goof around, or I go to another game for the time being. I'm sure several other potential players are scared off with the low attendance.

With automated pilots, we would need only a minimum of 2 humans (commanders), and then let's say 9 automated pilots per team initially. These automated pilots would leave for every human player that joins the game.

Similar to drones from the Phoenix faction, the commander (or any player) should be able to order them around. Whatever aiming ability the drones have is what the automated pilots should have, unless that was too unbalanced. Some of the more "complex" duties may require some creativity to implement successfully, or they can just be left out.
MagisterXF94

Post by MagisterXF94 »

Tyng wrote:QUOTE (Tyng @ Feb 2 2015, 07:07 PM) I know nothing of the coding language that is used for Allegiance, but I hope something like this is feasible.

------How automated players have helped in another game (skip if you just want to know what I propose for Allegiance)-------

Allegiance isn't the only old game that I've started playing again. I've also started playing Wolfenstein ET again. THAT game came out around the same time Allegiance did, and it still gets full servers regularly. People haven't converted to the more recent FPS games for good. The game WAS dying down for a while, but then servers began implementing bots that would play whenever the player count went below a certain threshold.

Years after these bots were implemented, I've hardly ever played a game at any time of the day where there aren't enough people to cause the bots to leave the game. I used to see them all the time in the late late hours. It was never as fulfilling a killing another player was, but the bots knew what the objective was, and they could always sneak up on me and push me back if I wasn't careful.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm like most players...I want there to be a decent sized team on both sides when I play a team game. I stick to it with Allegiance because of how amazing each unique game is to me, regardless of how "bad" the games might be. However, whenever I see only 2-4 people on the server, I tend to either play a solo game just to goof around, or I go to another game for the time being. I'm sure several other potential players are scared off with the low attendance.

With automated pilots, we would need only a minimum of 2 humans (commanders), and then let's say 9 automated pilots per team initially. These automated pilots would leave for every human player that joins the game.

Similar to drones from the Phoenix faction, the commander (or any player) should be able to order them around. Whatever aiming ability the drones have is what the automated pilots should have, unless that was too unbalanced. Some of the more "complex" duties may require some creativity to implement successfully, or they can just be left out.
MS originally used what they called "Pigs" to mass test Alleg before release.
They were essentialy Ai controlled ships.
While the code is still present it would be extremely difficult to implement succesfully.
So in short, this cannot be done.
QUOTE ^cashto@Elem (all): yeah, i imagine if you're rusty, you could build op short for no reason, build a naked ref, then go two techpaths even though your mining is by all objective standards $#@!ed[/quote]
Archangelus

Post by Archangelus »

The hard part about the coding, that most ppl fail to understand, is that most FPS stand in a Death Match mode, with very little "skill" imnplemented for the AI. Its basically wander around and shoot w/e is flagged.

Allegiance is played in a CONQUEST level, where the AI needs to be smart to actually: nan, fly a bbr, fly a scout and drop probes & etc.

Although I always heard ppl saying that its not possible, getting a DM enviorment with the AI would still bring benefits. And this isnt so impossible as ppl claim, otherwise the training session wouldnt have a combat exercise.

IMO what both sides are lacking is will to think outside of the box, and bring in something possible of doing, while still fun for ppl.
pkk wrote:QUOTE (pkk @ Jul 18 2014, 06:08 AM) Seems like some people forget, that they're guest here and their status can be removed any time.
Student

Post by Student »

Archangelus wrote:QUOTE (Archangelus @ Feb 3 2015, 03:35 PM) The hard part about the coding, that most ppl fail to understand, is that most FPS stand in a Death Match mode, with very little "skill" imnplemented for the AI. Its basically wander around and shoot w/e is flagged.

Allegiance is played in a CONQUEST level, where the AI needs to be smart to actually: nan, fly a bbr, fly a scout and drop probes & etc.

Although I always heard ppl saying that its not possible, getting a DM enviorment with the AI would still bring benefits. And this isnt so impossible as ppl claim, otherwise the training session wouldnt have a combat exercise.

IMO what both sides are lacking is will to think outside of the box, and bring in something possible of doing, while still fun for ppl.
The problem is that bots cannot fly like humans, so putting them in a dm is useless. It would teach players the wrong habits. The amount of time/money we would have to put into actually doing this makes this impossible, just as the same way we cannot fly to the moon (impossible because of lack of funds/time).
-Student
SysX
@Alleg
Hebrews 11:3
Malicious Wraith

Post by Malicious Wraith »

I think that coder guy who hacked us in the past after a hissy-fit has bots or something in the Mastametz Allegiance fail-community.

We should steal their code. :iluv:
Unknown wrote:[Just want] to play some games before Alleg dies for good.
I don't want that time to be a @#(!-storm of hate and schadenfreude.
IG: Liquid_Mamba / Fedman
MagisterXF94

Post by MagisterXF94 »

Malicious Wraith wrote:QUOTE (Malicious Wraith @ Feb 4 2015, 04:42 AM) I think that coder guy who hacked us in the past after a hissy-fit has bots or something in the Mastametz Allegiance fail-community.

We should steal their code. :iluv:
It's shared source we can do what the $#@! we want.
They do have active bots, altough i have not been able to verify their competence.
Anyways we lack devs so we are back to square 1
QUOTE ^cashto@Elem (all): yeah, i imagine if you're rusty, you could build op short for no reason, build a naked ref, then go two techpaths even though your mining is by all objective standards $#@!ed[/quote]
Shizoku

Post by Shizoku »

They haven't had any activity on their forum since November, which one of the last posts was in regards to the bots just dieing off.

http://forum.allegiancezone.com/t/perpetural-bot-game/960
MagisterXF94

Post by MagisterXF94 »

Heh guess FAO wins again :)
Archangelus

Post by Archangelus »

Student wrote:QUOTE (Student @ Feb 3 2015, 08:57 PM) The problem is that bots cannot fly like humans, so putting them in a dm is useless. It would teach players the wrong habits. The amount of time/money we would have to put into actually doing this makes this impossible, just as the same way we cannot fly to the moon (impossible because of lack of funds/time).
Even though they cant fly like humans, giving them the ability to strafe/boost/dock/undock would bring ppl to play the game while the servers are empty.

A server full of bots, won't bring more harm than the newbie servers did back on. Specially if it is in a very limited enviorment.

Its also an opportunity for players to learn hitboxes of different factions, without needing a friend in the server.
pkk wrote:QUOTE (pkk @ Jul 18 2014, 06:08 AM) Seems like some people forget, that they're guest here and their status can be removed any time.