Observer ships

Discussion / Announcement area for PCore development.
Student

Post by Student »

I was in game talking with Hockey and Babel, and observer ships were brought up. Is there any chance they could be brought back? I feel like that would be useful for sgs/recording games.
-Student
SysX
@Alleg
Hebrews 11:3
Psychosis

Post by Psychosis »

oh they were so much fun,
Tyng

Post by Tyng »

They should be able to go fast like tactical scouts, too :) .
ChaoticStorm

Post by ChaoticStorm »

Tyng wrote:QUOTE (Tyng @ Jan 27 2015, 10:17 PM) They should be able to go fast like tactical scouts, too :) .
+1
hockey1015

Post by hockey1015 »

As an addendum to what we were tossing around last night:

They'd have to be small, very low sig, very low/no scan range, but also a large amount of HP. Reason being, especially in sg's where somebody from Squad Y is recording a match between Squad X and Squad Z, should there be an instance where a base gets blown up and they don't transfer in time, they aren't 1) attacking, or 2) adding to KB's. They become a non-factor in an observer ship, but get to record as if they're "in the fight" if they want to.

The issue I could see with making it like a Tac Scout is how you prevent it from being a glorified ramming ship.
Last edited by hockey1015 on Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zombywoof

Post by zombywoof »

There are some logistical issues with observer ships. Mainly, there's some question as to how you'd implement them. Is it a 10s research? If so, if it costs money, there needs to be an agreement from both commanders to purchase and have pilots who aren't flying but rather observing. How can we utilize them to prohibit one team from gaining an advantage by having an observer who's not a part of the game? If the observer is a part of the game, why use observer ships instead of scouts? If the observer is NOT a part of the game, how do we make sure that a troll player doesn't use the observer ship (apart from booting whenever it happens)? What about newbies who might accidentally use an observer ship?

While I'm not opposed to the idea in general, these are some of the questions I would want answered before I started looking at re-implementing observer ships. There are two major questions you should ask yourself when you want to add something to the game: "What does this give us that isn't already there?" and "How does this fit in with the current design of the game and ships?"

If you can give me a better idea of what you're thinking than "observer ships" I'll definitely take a look.

EDIT: I'm not sure how the game reacts to a mass of 0, but if I can give it a mass of 0 that would stop it from ramming regardless of how fast it was going. Similarly, giving it a sig of 1% is easy enough and a scan range of 1.
Last edited by zombywoof on Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain.
Cookie Monster wrote:QUOTE (Cookie Monster @ Apr 1 2009, 09:35 PM) But I don't read the forums I only post.
Shizoku

Post by Shizoku »

iirc Noir had observers set as pods with no scan range or sig, cost $1 and a larger airtank (not sure about that last one). That way they wouldn't contribute to kb, the only potential exploit they had was they could check if alephs were mined.

If you were to bring the ship back, just take a look at dn and use that.
Adaven

Post by Adaven »

hockey1015 wrote:QUOTE (hockey1015 @ Jan 27 2015, 05:24 PM) As an addendum to what we were tossing around last night:

They'd have to be small, very low sig, very low/no scan range, but also a large amount of HP. Reason being, especially in sg's where somebody from Squad Y is recording a match between Squad X and Squad Z, should there be an instance where a base gets blown up and they don't transfer in time, they aren't 1) attacking, or 2) adding to KB's. They become a non-factor in an observer ship, but get to record as if they're "in the fight" if they want to.

The issue I could see with making it like a Tac Scout is how you prevent it from being a glorified ramming ship.
Collisions use their own damage class, you could maybe tweak that to you needs.
ChaoticStorm

Post by ChaoticStorm »

Adaven wrote:QUOTE (Adaven @ Jan 28 2015, 02:05 AM) Collisions use their own damage class, you could maybe tweak that to you needs.
Yeah but that affects all ships, you wouldn't want ramming a con at 300mps to not pod an int...
Perhaps just give observers so little mass that they do next to nothing damage?