PCore007 crashes alleg consistently

Discussion / Announcement area for PCore development.
voobscout

Post by voobscout »

Dear all,

The machine i'm running/(trying to run) alleg on is a clean xp sp3 install, there's nothing beside alleg there, aside from hardware drivers.
Beforehand, i could run 006nd only, "np" produced the same crash. Now 007 crashes alleg very consistently.

Here's proof/trace:

http://youtu.be/78VDQj-Fw6s

I can give anybody remote access to this machine, should that be required.

Cheers and thanks!
ThePhantom032

Post by ThePhantom032 »

voobscout wrote:QUOTE (voobscout @ Dec 12 2014, 07:37 PM) Dear all,

The machine i'm running/(trying to run) alleg on is a clean xp sp3 install, there's nothing beside alleg there, aside from hardware drivers.
Beforehand, i could run 006nd only, "np" produced the same crash. Now 007 crashes alleg very consistently.

Here's proof/trace:

http://youtu.be/78VDQj-Fw6s

I can give anybody remote access to this machine, should that be required.

Cheers and thanks!
There is a known issue with ta_fig.mdl crashing alleg on some computers, should be fixed in 8 by not using that model anymore. I cant reproduce it myself, so I cannot say for sure if there wont be another problem. I'd take you up on the remote access thing, but I doubt you have a lan server installed and I cant be bothered to either do that or set up a tunnel when I could just finish up 8 and you can tell me it works (still may take you up on that if it still doesn't work so I can figure out the (new) issue).
Still ready to teach anyone who asks nicely whatever they want to know about playing alleg. Contrary to popular opinion I do not eat newbies. Voobs taste much better.
Djole88

Post by Djole88 »

The issue is physical ram vs virtual mem
I'm quite sure of it.
When I filled up my ram alleg kept crashing after failing on 'MapViewOfFileEx' to get sequential memory (fails to switch to vmem when allocation happens on the boundary).
I currently have no time to resolve it and I didn't look if Imago has already done so.

I think that alleg needs a bit more than 1GB at this stage to function properly.

Sorry my friends but I just don't seem to get the time to wrap up r8, I'll try to do it this Sunday.
Last edited by Djole88 on Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MagisterXF94

Post by MagisterXF94 »

Djole88 wrote:QUOTE (Djole88 @ Dec 12 2014, 08:07 PM) The issue is physical ram vs virtual mem
I'm quite sure of it.
When I filled up my ram alleg kept crashing after failing on 'MapViewOfFileEx' to get sequential memory (fails to switch to vmem when allocation happens on the boundary).
I currently have no time to resolve it and I didn't look if Imago has already done so.

I think that alleg needs a bit more than 1GB at this stage to function properly.

Sorry my friends but I just don't seem to get the time to wrap up r8, I'll try to do it this Sunday.
NP Djole :) thank you for what you are doing.
QUOTE ^cashto@Elem (all): yeah, i imagine if you're rusty, you could build op short for no reason, build a naked ref, then go two techpaths even though your mining is by all objective standards $#@!ed[/quote]
voobscout

Post by voobscout »

Phantom032 wrote:QUOTE (Phantom032 @ Dec 12 2014, 07:46 PM) I'd take you up on the remote access thing, but I doubt you have a lan server installed and I cant be bothered to either do that or set up a tunnel
lan server? do you mean alleg lan server? if you point me to a docu and if aforementioned server can run on esx / xen, i'd be happy to help out

also, it's not a problem with tunnels, i can get you an openvpn tap to sit on the same segmet with alleg machine or a tun into the same subnet, all you'd have to do is install something from http://openvpn.net/index.php/download/comm...-downloads.html and drop a ".conf" file into it.
voobscout

Post by voobscout »

Djole88 wrote:QUOTE (Djole88 @ Dec 12 2014, 08:07 PM) I think that alleg needs a bit more than 1GB at this stage to function properly.
the machine it fails on, has 2gigs of ram
MagisterXF94

Post by MagisterXF94 »

voobscout wrote:QUOTE (voobscout @ Dec 12 2014, 08:16 PM) the machine it fails on, has 2gigs of ram
do you have any high res mods on?
QUOTE ^cashto@Elem (all): yeah, i imagine if you're rusty, you could build op short for no reason, build a naked ref, then go two techpaths even though your mining is by all objective standards $#@!ed[/quote]
Djole88

Post by Djole88 »

1GB without the upgrades, god knows how many with the upgrades.
voobscout

Post by voobscout »

yes, whatever i could get from mesial's website
MagisterXF94

Post by MagisterXF94 »

Aha!
Did you put mesial's files inside your texture folder?
If yes, trash your textures folder and try to reconnect.
Last edited by MagisterXF94 on Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.