Fleshing out Star Wars Core

Discussion / Announcement area for Star Wars Core (SWC) development.
jk28437

Post by jk28437 »

I really like the Star Wars core--I think it's really well done for the basic tech types. I would like to see Shipyard fleshed out a bit--as it's currently limited to carriers and corvettes. A fancy Lancer Frigate in the destroyer slot would be cool. Maybe a Neb B in the frigate slot and a Lt Mon Cal and a VSD in the heavier slots?

I only bring it up as there's been a little revival of this core recently. A 3rd faction would be cool...like Black Sun or something. Maybe with Uglies ;)
Xenon of Element
Archangelus

Post by Archangelus »

The problem is that star wars is trademarked and I dont know how US laws regulate the usage of it.

So far the core is small with just a few ships (and also the game is nearly dead), so this didnt bring their attention, but if we really get into the core, bring nearly all of its universe, and suddenly the game "booms" because of it, the holders may sue our core staff.

Our only defense is that its a free game (so we are kinda of a phylantropic entity).
pkk wrote:QUOTE (pkk @ Jul 18 2014, 06:08 AM) Seems like some people forget, that they're guest here and their status can be removed any time.
Malicious Wraith

Post by Malicious Wraith »

Archangelus wrote:QUOTE (Archangelus @ Oct 22 2014, 11:48 PM) I dont know how US laws regulate the usage of it.
Fair use doctrine.
Factor test, would be weighed by a judge.

It doesn't matter, because it would never see court.
Disney would never pursue us for modding using the Star Wars IP.
If they did, they would just issue us a cease and desist.
Unknown wrote:[Just want] to play some games before Alleg dies for good.
I don't want that time to be a @#(!-storm of hate and schadenfreude.
IG: Liquid_Mamba / Fedman
zombywoof

Post by zombywoof »

At which point we could simply cease and desist using it.

That is, IF Disney didn't think "hmmmm there's some money to be made here" and buy the rights to Allegiance from Microsoft (yes, I understand the rights aren't "for sale" but by a similar token, who would have guessed that Star Wars was "for sale"?), hire half the active members of core dev, and essentially re-release the game as Star Wars: Allegiance.

Yeah yeah it's a pipe dream, but so is the game exploding in popularity XD
Don't find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain.
Cookie Monster wrote:QUOTE (Cookie Monster @ Apr 1 2009, 09:35 PM) But I don't read the forums I only post.
BlackBagel

Post by BlackBagel »

oh god... if disney bought allegiance...
§
Archangelus

Post by Archangelus »

They would close the game.
pkk wrote:QUOTE (pkk @ Jul 18 2014, 06:08 AM) Seems like some people forget, that they're guest here and their status can be removed any time.
jbansk

Post by jbansk »

Archangelus wrote:QUOTE (Archangelus @ Oct 25 2014, 12:58 PM) They would close the game.
More than it already is?
[15:25] <BBT_> oh, so da vinci's mona lisa isn't his work?
[15:25] <+fuh-zz> No, he simply put effort into it.
[15:25] <BBT_> are you really that retarded?
Archangelus

Post by Archangelus »

jbansk wrote:QUOTE (jbansk @ Oct 25 2014, 01:43 PM) More than it already is?
Yup, you would have no server at all. No rights as limited open source code. ANd you wouldnt have a forum to whine about it being dead either.
NightRychune

Post by NightRychune »

iirc adding more capital ships was always just a matter of doing the models for them and then implementing them, but i'm not sure anyone really had the time/energy/desire to do it for a core that is so rarely played
BlackBagel

Post by BlackBagel »

NightRychune wrote:QUOTE (NightRychune @ Oct 25 2014, 08:10 PM) for a core that is so rarely played
but that is all of them
§