ACS Brainstorming

"Can someone create a ________ for me?"
Shizoku

Post by Shizoku »

Hello everyone,

Since the cadet program has gone under an exciting revamp and is looking to be one of the best iterations yet, I've been pondering taking over and heading a revamp of the Allegiance Command School.

Now, we've tried a number of different ways of running it in the past:

-multiweek course with requirements each week
-completely open, course material available to all as they want, open forum to ask questions (this failed miserably)
-semi open where there's public discusion on acs members games.

Teaching commanding is a lot different than teaching the basic mechanics of the game, and I feel like we haven't hit an idea format yet. What are your thoughts/ideas for how an effective command school should be run.

Cheers
zombywoof

Post by zombywoof »

I like the idea of commentary on ACS games much like the thread Vogue started where it's very, VERY heavily moderated. One of the problems with trying to teach someone how to command (or rather, trying to learn how to command) is the visceral reaction everyone has when things go tits up.
Don't find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain.
Cookie Monster wrote:QUOTE (Cookie Monster @ Apr 1 2009, 09:35 PM) But I don't read the forums I only post.
Phalanxe

Post by Phalanxe »

I always thought (and think) best way to learn something is doing it. Having someone backseat and show you what's wrong and what's good. that being said,

Since alleg is a team game i would propose the following:

Divide the class into equally sucky "teams" and make them fight each other in order to pass the class. (we all know who sucks and who sucks less)

How can we do this?
well. Facing comms from different teams whenever they can and winner gets point. Of course those comms should change every time. backseating is OK and in fact encouraged to.

What we get from this?
I want more participation between students & more competition. Previous ACS era was focused just individually. Forums where there, you had to comm a couple of games but that was it. i took it and i still suck (with all due respect to the guys who tought me)

It's kind of evil, but it promotes discussions, teamwork & cooperation, and we get winners & lossers (and we all like that).

Teachers could just tell what went wrong after each game on the forums, like p1 suggested.

Also, i think having all the info there is OK, since the team which wants to win will actually care and read it.

Competition in order to achieve something is the way to go IMHO.

and if you don't like your team well tough luck you're there to learn&help so try harder.

if we're doing this i'm already in.
QUOTE 08/15/14 20:08:53: BabelFish (all): there are too many blacks on[/quote]
100%
Problemz

Post by Problemz »

Phalanxe wrote:QUOTE (Phalanxe @ Sep 24 2014, 03:23 PM) I always thought (and think) best way to learn something is doing it. Having someone backseat and show you what's wrong and what's good. that being said,

Since alleg is a team game i would propose the following:

Divide the class into equally sucky "teams" and make them fight each other in order to pass the class. (we all know who sucks and who sucks less)

How can we do this?
well. Facing comms from different teams whenever they can and winner gets point. Of course those comms should change every time. backseating is OK and in fact encouraged to.

What we get from this?
I want more participation between students & more competition. Previous ACS era was focused just individually. Forums where there, you had to comm a couple of games but that was it. i took it and i still suck (with all due respect to the guys who tought me)

It's kind of evil, but it promotes discussions, teamwork & cooperation, and we get winners & lossers (and we all like that).

Teachers could just tell what went wrong after each game on the forums, like p1 suggested.

Also, i think having all the info there is OK, since the team which wants to win will actually care and read it.

Competition in order to achieve something is the way to go IMHO.

and if you don't like your team well tough luck you're there to learn&help so try harder.

if we're doing this i'm already in.
As a previous graduate of ACS, this would be a good idea, but there have to be a decent amount of people in the ACS class for it to work sounds like. Other than that, sounds good to me at least, I would be willing to retake ACS just to lose :D
phoenix1 wrote:QUOTE (phoenix1 @ Sep 16 2014, 09:45 AM) Yeah this Drizzo kid always making me carry his sorry ass in League and then complaining when I show only marginal competence in Allegiance.
Shizoku

Post by Shizoku »

A ladder based graduation system is interesting. I'd like to encourage playing with all the factions as well, perhaps include required game wins with every faction.

So something like you must earn 30 points on the ladder and win 5 games with each faction. Challenging higher ranked opponents would earn points faster, and losing would lose points. This would make the golden boots certainly worth while!

Very cool idea, please keep them coming!
Phalanxe

Post by Phalanxe »

Yes.

Even coordinate which team gets to comm what each week and face them. By the end of the match show what could have been done, counters, etc, so there can be planification for it.
make it dynamic.

i suggested the "team ladder" option so there's also a part of cooperation between the participants. And more rivalry.
yet yes, there would be cases of graduates who didn't actually do anything.. but once again, ACS is for learning and ppl is supposed to do it for this.
100%
TheAlaskan

Post by TheAlaskan »

If I may - I would suggest trying to keep it simple as possible... Small classes of committed comms who you can concentrate on to improve. A rolling enrollment can be messy to manage.
Shizoku

Post by Shizoku »

A rolling enrollment could be managed by having seperate forums for each level or week. Either as time progresses or as the student gains in rank, he/she would gain access to more forums with more information. It's a bit of a clunky way of doing it, but could act as a reward system for either sticking with and/or improving.
Phalanxe

Post by Phalanxe »

Shizoku wrote:QUOTE (Shizoku @ Sep 24 2014, 03:51 PM) A ladder based graduation system is interesting. I'd like to encourage playing with all the factions as well, perhaps include required game wins with every faction.

So something like you must earn 30 points on the ladder and win 5 games with each faction. Challenging higher ranked opponents would earn points faster, and losing would lose points. This would make the golden boots certainly worth while!

Very cool idea, please keep them coming!
Pilots can get a handicap to even out the things(o.5 - 1 multiplier)
Points can be awarded based on the Scenario. E.g. Beating Rix exp with IC sup would give you XX points * handicap.

This is like how many options? this means doing a whole lot of math that my brain can't actually do.
After that calculation, points should be fairly simple (i think).

I definetelly think we should make all information available for all participants. After all we would not reward the readers, but the ones who actually want to get better
Last edited by Phalanxe on Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
100%
Phalanxe

Post by Phalanxe »

-OR-

just give point to the (winning comm + week's faction&tech combo Extra point) * handicap.

to keep it simple yet guide the comms through desired faction & tech.
100%