R8

Questions / Announcements area for beta tests of Allegiance's future updates.
MagisterXF94

Post by MagisterXF94 »

Shall we do a beta test anytime soon?
QUOTE ^cashto@Elem (all): yeah, i imagine if you're rusty, you could build op short for no reason, build a naked ref, then go two techpaths even though your mining is by all objective standards $#@!ed[/quote]
Dome

Post by Dome »

jbanks sent me this:

Dome,

I have discovered a flaw in a controller sensitivity fix that was introduced into R8. In WinTrek.CPP the value of "m_pjoystickImage = CreateJoystickImage(1.0f / 2048.0f)" on line 2900 reads 1024 instead of the 2048 that it should be.

When Djole copied this value over from Imago's github repository, he copied it before Imago put in the proper value of 2048. So, Djole has 1024 in R8 and Imago has 2048 on his version.

I have tested this value difference and found that Imago has it correct. Using the 2048 value makes the joystick feel proper in both linear and quadratic settings in Allegiance. Furthermore, with the proper 2048 value, the deadzone is more round than square giving a better aiming capability when tracking diagonal targets.

If you would like a patch for TRAC, I can forward the fix in a patch.

I provide a patch to correct the joystick sensitivity error. Please get this pushed into the next beta test release.

Thanks

TRAC

Is this something we can use? Djole?
Last edited by Dome on Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
jbansk

Post by jbansk »

Thanks Dome,

I see what happened now. On the 27th, it was at 2048 (which made the stick behave properly), then two days later he moved it to 1024 (which is too sensitive and makes the deadzone feel square.

The version I have from Imago's github was prior to it being changed to 1024 so it wasn't a copy / paste error as I first thought. (sorry Djole). The value of 2048 is noticeably correct when you change this value to anything else. I tried it with different values then kept switching back to 2048 to see the difference. After awhile, you become very sensitive to the changes and can see that the 2048 makes the stick work in all axis with the proper smoothness and most importantly is that the deadzone no longer feels square.

After the last beta test, Djole informed us that he wasn't working on matters that he wasn't directly concerned with and if anyone wanted something fixed, that they would have to do it themselves. (I think that's what pissed Wild and some others off). They didn't feel that they should beta test and report bugs when those bugs were deliberately being ignored.

To that end, can you set me up so that I can commit changes if Djole or another dev is not going to work on areas outside their own project? If we can get this implemented before the next beta release / test....we can get confirmation from those who actually fly using joysticks and finally put an end to this 5 year bug.

Thanks
Last edited by jbansk on Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[15:25] <BBT_> oh, so da vinci's mona lisa isn't his work?
[15:25] <+fuh-zz> No, he simply put effort into it.
[15:25] <BBT_> are you really that retarded?
Djole88

Post by Djole88 »

No jbansk, I am ignoring you because I've already explained to you what the 'JoystickImage' does.
Mouse is now much slower (lower sens) in r8 than r7, I've had people complain. The value that you want changed influences only mouse and not the physical stick in any way.

I have only adopted the 1/1024 because the underlying image res also changed.

If you do somehow prove me wrong I'll be happy to implement it, till then...
jbansk

Post by jbansk »

....nevermind, you've reminded me of why I gave up trying so long ago.

best of luck ya'll
Last edited by jbansk on Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[15:25] <BBT_> oh, so da vinci's mona lisa isn't his work?
[15:25] <+fuh-zz> No, he simply put effort into it.
[15:25] <BBT_> are you really that retarded?
Terran

Post by Terran »

jbansk wrote:QUOTE (jbansk @ Apr 1 2015, 10:47 AM) ....nevermind, you've reminded me of why I gave up trying so long ago.

best of luck ya'll
What's the matter? If djole doesn't understand the fix its only fair for him to ask for clarification. If this fix really does work let's work at getting pushed through, not giving up.
JimmyNighthawk wrote:QUOTE (JimmyNighthawk @ Jun 30 2013, 11:32 PM) "Bavarian Sausage Anti-Ketchup Soap"[*]
Imago

Post by Imago »

These bugs haven't been fixed yet because don't have any developers interested in fixing them up. --Tigereye
Imago's stupid-sensor is supersensitive. --RealPandemonium
The art is managing the flow of the drama to achieve the desired results. --Big_Beta_Tester
joeld wrote:But we’ve been amazed at the level to which some of the Allegiance fans have remained hard-core.
raumvogel

Post by raumvogel »

Imago wrote:QUOTE (Imago @ Apr 3 2015, 12:49 PM) just gunna leave this here: ftp://azbuildslave.cloudapp.net:2121/AllegSetup_203.exe
pkk

Post by pkk »

New build, based on changeset 1162, on is on ACSS AU...
The Escapist (Justin Emerson) @ Dec 21 2010, 02:33 PM:
The history of open-source Allegiance is paved with the bodies of dead code branches, forum flame wars, and personal vendettas. But a community remains because people still love the game.
raumvogel

Post by raumvogel »

I tried to launch allegiance.It said I needed to download 2 updates. It downloaded 1, then Avast blocked the other saying it had "Drep". Now the launcher stops working as soon as I allow the update.