Allegiance Installer 3.01

Catch-all for all development not having a specific forum.
pkk

Post by pkk »

Dome told me some time ago that people are complaining about the current installer, that they need to update tons of files.

I've planning to update it in the next days with current artwork files.

What is not goal of this update:
Replacing default keymaps:
R8 will update the training missions, so instructions match the keybindings within inputmap.mdl. Replacing them now will create much confusion, because instructions will not match the real keys.

What can be added:
High resolution textures:
What I need is a complete package. I think it's a bad idea to add textures like rusty IC based and other textures which majority effect the appearance of Allegiance compared to the default textures. Would be nice having a list here.

I've updated the SVN with the current artwork changes, this doesn't include beta files and I don't think they should be part of the installer.

I'm thinking about pushing R8 via a clean installation by the installer, because there can/will be problems with mods installed (specially CortUI, since it will be part of R8). This would also help to clean up the ACSS autoupdate, because it became s a bit messy (specially beta).

Suggestions welcome.
The Escapist (Justin Emerson) @ Dec 21 2010, 02:33 PM:
The history of open-source Allegiance is paved with the bodies of dead code branches, forum flame wars, and personal vendettas. But a community remains because people still love the game.
factoid

Post by factoid »

We've got the source textures right? There should be able 24 bit 512x512 textures for most assets, yes? I can assist with this if someone can outline what we need specifically.

EDIT: I'd downloaded those 32 CDs of stuff... I just haven't looked at them yet.
Last edited by factoid on Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I make it a point not to chat with AP off... space is vast, but it's never vast enough for my scout."
aem

Post by aem »

Yes the current installer is in bad need of an update. Too many updates to download. Would be great if high res textures were included.

Some of my help menu, artwork, etc files seem to have gone missing at some point in the current build. I will try to go through everything and see what is outdated so these files can be replaced. Help menu references allegacademy.com for example which I fixed many years ago.
Last edited by aem on Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mastametz

Post by Mastametz »

High res textures should be a separate installer from low res to keep installer file size down in the interest of players with slow internet/computers.
There's also a number of mods that should be default in the installer files.
Last edited by Mastametz on Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
There's a new sheriff in town.
aem

Post by aem »

Sheriff Metz wrote:QUOTE (Sheriff Metz @ Feb 6 2014, 04:46 AM) High res textures should be a separate installer from low res to keep installer file size down in the interest of players with slow internet/computers.
There's also a number of mods that should be default in the installer files.
I think ideally there would be two separate installers + an option in ACSS to download the high res textures if they aren't installed. But if there is only one installer, I think it is better to include high res textures by default. Only a very small percentage of players should have slow enough internet or computers where it would cause a problem. Worst case with one installer have ACSS pop up a message on first run recommending download of the high res textures, and one click install option through ACSS.
pkk

Post by pkk »

We can let the installer download packages on request. Right now that feature is not active in the build, check out the nsi file.

http://svn.alleg.net/svn/Installer_Client/.../Allegiance.nsi
The history of open-source Allegiance is paved with the bodies of dead code branches, forum flame wars, and personal vendettas. But a community remains because people still love the game.
Mastametz

Post by Mastametz »

Default UI should be changed (anything is better than default).
Default reticle should be changed (anything is better than default)
Default Icon package should be changed to the one that changes/colors them

Installer downloading things on demand would be the best, that way there only has to be one installer and everyone can pick and choose the mods and @#(! they want when they install
Last edited by Mastametz on Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's a new sheriff in town.
Imago

Post by Imago »

what happened to the bitten task that created a new installer automatically from a svn commit

These bugs haven't been fixed yet because don't have any developers interested in fixing them up. --Tigereye
Imago's stupid-sensor is supersensitive. --RealPandemonium
The art is managing the flow of the drama to achieve the desired results. --Big_Beta_Tester
joeld wrote:But we’ve been amazed at the level to which some of the Allegiance fans have remained hard-core.
pkk

Post by pkk »

Bitten was removed from SVN (I removed it during core review for R6 I think). I also think the old bitten slave is unavailable.

Right now installer has it's own SVN. All you need is checking out the SVN, putting new files in place and hit make_Installer.cmd to compile it (if NSIS and plugins are installed). It's more or less uncomplicated...
Imago

Post by Imago »

so it is done already then....

These bugs haven't been fixed yet because don't have any developers interested in fixing them up. --Tigereye
Imago's stupid-sensor is supersensitive. --RealPandemonium
The art is managing the flow of the drama to achieve the desired results. --Big_Beta_Tester
joeld wrote:But we’ve been amazed at the level to which some of the Allegiance fans have remained hard-core.