Allegiance Installer 3.01

Catch-all for all development not having a specific forum.
factoid

Post by factoid »

I added support for clamping max resolutions to my mdlviewer application. It takes a little bit of setup for people who aren't me, but I'm using it to determine how low textures can go at 1080p before they start to look like ass.

General rule of thumb so far appears to be:
ships - 512x512
stations - 1024x1024 or 2048x2048
missiles - 256x256
posters - 1024x1024
rocks - 2048x2048
nebulae - 2048x2048

If anyone is in a position to quickly resize and recompile the image files that'd be awesome, otherwise I'll try and get to it over the next few days to test on my client, and see if I can get something that looks amazing while not crashing.

Edit: I'm mostly done the rescailing, it's the mdlc that I'm not sure how smoothly thing will go. What format should the img files be if someone else wants to do the compiles? Right now they're thingbmp.png, but I could convert them to straight bitmaps as thing.bmp

I should have them up on dropbox later tonight.
Last edited by factoid on Mon May 26, 2014 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I make it a point not to chat with AP off... space is vast, but it's never vast enough for my scout."
raumvogel

Post by raumvogel »

factoid wrote:QUOTE (factoid @ May 25 2014, 09:19 PM) I added support for clamping max resolutions to my mdlviewer application. It takes a little bit of setup for people who aren't me, but I'm using it to determine how low textures can go at 1080p before they start to look like ass.

General rule of thumb so far appears to be:
ships - 512x512
stations - 1024x1024 or 2048x2048
missiles - 256x256
posters - 1024x1024
rocks - 2048x2048
nebulae - 2048x2048

If anyone is in a position to quickly resize and recompile the image files that'd be awesome, otherwise I'll try and get to it over the next few days to test on my client, and see if I can get something that looks amazing while not crashing.

Edit: I'm mostly done the rescailing, it's the mdlc that I'm not sure how smoothly thing will go. What format should the img files be if someone else wants to do the compiles? Right now they're thingbmp.png, but I could convert them to straight bitmaps as thing.bmp

I should have them up on dropbox later tonight.
I think Metz is the only other one working on this.
factoid

Post by factoid »

K. IDK if he even has the mdlc tool. Anyway, sounds like I'm not stepping on any toes. Should have results before the end of the week.
"I make it a point not to chat with AP off... space is vast, but it's never vast enough for my scout."
Mastametz

Post by Mastametz »

raumvogel wrote:QUOTE (raumvogel @ May 26 2014, 05:45 AM) I think Metz is the only other one working on this.
I don't know anything about that @#(!. All I did was put it all in an installer.
There's a new sheriff in town.
factoid

Post by factoid »

Upon closer inspection, ta_drac models and textures are in serious need of rework. They pretty much require 2048 textures because all the little details are afforded tiny sections of the UV space. And the face counts are ridiculously high. With all the repetition in some of the models, they could be duplicating UV space and allowing for smaller textures.
factoid

Post by factoid »

I've got the resized image files, but I'm having trouble getting mdlc to produce the right output. I'd taken all the png files and conerted them to bmps.

For example, mis01bmp.bmp I ran mdlc -convert mis01bmp.bmp mis01bmp.mdl

But it doesn't produce the right output. Anyone with experience with this able to chime in? Otherwise I'll have to go look at the code.
Alternatively, can we just drop non mdl files in to artwork and have it load them?
TheAlaskan

Post by TheAlaskan »

I would suggest that nobody use the 2048 drac hi-res textures for now until I get through repainting them with better uv unwrapping.
yiggz

Post by yiggz »

factoid wrote:QUOTE (factoid @ May 26 2014, 09:32 PM) K. IDK if he even has the mdlc tool. Anyway, sounds like I'm not stepping on any toes. Should have results before the end of the week.
If I knew anything about anything you talk about I would chime in. When you need a tester for anything on windows, that does require building code (because I have no clue how to do that) let me know. I even tried to look at the baked lighting thingy which rsulted in :huh: :wacko:

I still follow and support your progress.

TheAlaskan wrote:QUOTE (TheAlaskan @ May 27 2014, 04:17 PM) I would suggest that nobody use the 2048 drac hi-res textures for now until I get through repainting them with better uv unwrapping.
How does one not use the high res textures? Haven't played Alleg since Pcore005 came out, and I'm becoming a forum lurker, even tempted to start posting in "going no where threads".
TheAlaskan

Post by TheAlaskan »

If you installed hi-res drac artwork, it can be found in your Allegiance 1.2\Production\Artwork\Textures folder. Any files beginning with ta_ should be deleted.

If you are still having issues without any drac artwork in that textures folder, switch your max texture pack setting in allegiance to 1048 and restart the client so it can take effect. That should get you going again, as far as I know.
Mastametz

Post by Mastametz »

Nobody should be running 2048 max texture size until factoid is done with his work. Everyone on 1024 at this point - regardless of what textures you might have or not have loaded currently.
After Factoid is finished we should all be able to play at 2048 max texture size with all available textures loaded.
There's a new sheriff in town.