Download page is down!

Suggestions, problems regarding the site and other community facilities.
Defpar

Post by Defpar »

So the front page has a link to download the game. That link (getsetup.alleg.net) is broken: attempts to connect either time out or (once) get an error screen I did not think to screenshot. Pings to getsetup.alleg.net do not return. Surely I don't need to say how bad this is; any new players trying to download it will assume the game is dead.

Should we put up a torrent of the ACSS installer? I'm not sure about the legality, but it should be fine, and it would at least give us a stopgap download until the problem is resolved. I would be glad to help seed it, whenever my computer is on.
pkk

Post by pkk »

Last edited by pkk on Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Escapist (Justin Emerson) @ Dec 21 2010, 02:33 PM:
The history of open-source Allegiance is paved with the bodies of dead code branches, forum flame wars, and personal vendettas. But a community remains because people still love the game.
Tigereye

Post by Tigereye »

The old ASGS server was shut down yesterday.

A month ago I replaced the authoritative nameservers for Allegiance's domains, including alleg.net.
Both authoritative nameservers list 'getsetup.alleg.net' as pointing to 204.14.17.27 which is where it should be.

For some reason, some nameservers appear to have still cached the old value of 204.14.17.25 which is now shut down.

When I do this query from some machines on the net I get the correct/new value of .27
But on some machines I'm still getting the old value of .25.

Looks like we may just need to wait a bit for things to finish propagating.
I'm honestly surprised these old values still exist after a month...

--TE
Last edited by Tigereye on Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Allegiance community currently hates their sysadmin because he is doing: [Too Much] [____________|] [Too Little]
Current reason: Removing the PayPal contribute page. Send Bitcoin instead: 1EccFi98tR5S9BYLuB61sFfxKqqgSKK8Yz. This scale updates regularly.
raumvogel

Post by raumvogel »

You also can not get to the forums via the "community" link on the main page. Djole told me in NOAT that you have to type : http://www.freeallegiance.org/forums/index.php to get here.
Defpar

Post by Defpar »

raumvogel wrote:QUOTE (raumvogel @ Oct 8 2013, 08:23 PM) You also can not get to the forums via the "community" link on the main page. Djole told me in NOAT that you have to type : http://www.freeallegiance.org/forums/index.php to get here.
I find you can get here with that link, it just takes a long time to load.