GA remix?

Development area for FreeAllegiance's Community Core.
ryujin

Post by ryujin »

I was wondering what everyone would think of changing up the ga's?

I had a few ideas, but i was thinking that we should put ALL the ga's in the garrison, but make them more expensive, and make the garrison need to be upped for tier 2 ga's.

If this would be implemented, then tech bases would be for tech and only tech (ships/weapons/cloaks etc)

On reason I put forth this idea is He Yield- it is so valuable it makes buying an exp worth it just for the ga's- often i find myself buying an exo when i intend t go another faction just for the econ boost, which is kinda stupid. Of course the other exp gas are also some of the best (damage, range, sig ga, accel).

I am also curious the history of ga's, and why they were put in each tech tree to begin with. Because you hjave some ga's that super help the tech tree they are found in (i.e. damage ga in exp, missle damage in sup, ew range in tac) but there are also a lot of cross over (hull ga in sup helps exp the most, sig ga in exp helps tac the most, and shield ga in tac helps sup the most)

I'm not saying it's broken or wrong right now, but it's possible other techs would be used more than exp if this was implemented.
*#$@faced $#@!tard Troll
qqmwoarplox

Post by qqmwoarplox »

talk to weedie this core is dead
Vortrog

Post by Vortrog »

At first this seems like a good idea.

The main problem of doing this is that in its current dependancies, it forces commanders to buy the second tech base to up the GAs for his/her specific requirements.
Eg. Rix SBs are so much more awesome with PW/EW range.

We need to force commanders to buy alternative tech to win if they have economic supremacy. Giga would fail even harder if other factions do not need to get tech bases to get GA ups.

From the point of view of making tech bases relevant to assisting winning the game through economic supremacy and map control....fail. And, wow...bios will be the most played faction in the game.
NightRychune

Post by NightRychune »

bios $#@!ing ruins everything
Spunkmeyer

Post by Spunkmeyer »

The origins of GAs being the way they are: the developers wanted to spread them around for variety. There is no rhyme or reason to it (beyond obvious stuff like not having missile ups in exp)

I think, like you said Ryu, the only significant problem with GAs is He3 Yield in exp. But then the solution is to move that away to Starbase or Shipyard. I just don't think see any wholesale shakeup to the GA design that would prove to be significantly better than what we have now.

(Previously ship shield in Tac was also extremely stupid but we fixed that with mini-shields)

Want bigger games? Log on to play at the official game time: 9pmET/8pmCT/7pmMT/6pmPT every day of the week. Also Saturdays 8pm UTC.

TurkeyXIII

Post by TurkeyXIII »

Spunkmeyer wrote:QUOTE (Spunkmeyer @ Nov 16 2012, 01:23 PM) Previously ship shield in Tac was also extremely stupid...
No it wasn't, you nubbins just didn't know to mount shields on your stealths!
QUOTE (Randall Munroe)14.2: Turkey consumption rate of the average American in milligrams per minute[/quote]
TheAlaskan

Post by TheAlaskan »

Is a reload time GA possible?
NightRychune

Post by NightRychune »

no, reload values are hardset (timeready for PW/PE weapons, reload time for missiles, mounttime under globals for boosters) under each weapon

these are all of the possible GAs

Ship Speed
Ship Accel
Ship Turn Rate
Ship Turn Torque
Station Hull
Station Hull repair
Station Shield
Station Shield Repair
Ship Hull
Ship Shield repair
Ship Sensors
Ship Signature
Ship Energy
PW Range
EW Range
Missile Track
Ripcord
PW Damage
Missile Damage
Cost
Research Time
He3 Capacity
He3 Speed
He3 Yield

in addition, you can apply GAs to every development item in the game. for example, you could set PWdamage to 1.1 on minigun2, which means that in addition to giving you mini2 it also increases your global PW damage by 10%, and in effect stealing it even as another tech path would also give you that 10% PW damage boost. you could attach things like he 3 yield/speed/capacity to enh/advanced miners, station hull/shields to enh/adv constructors, missile damage to researching specific missiles, or ship speed or accel to boosters.

you can also attach a cost or research time multiplier to researching tech items such that it would reduce or raise global faction costs. you could set a modifier that would lower your costs or research times by a % to upgrading your starbase or tech base, for example.

you can also attach multiple GAs to one devel - you could have a GA that improves your station hull and shields by a %, you could have a GA that increases all weapon damage (PW and missiles) by a %, and so on. you could even use this gimmick to create a "blank slate" faction that started with everything at worse than average and had unique GA packages, and had the potential to buy enough GAs that it could be better than every other faction
Last edited by NightRychune on Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
blake420

Post by blake420 »

thank you night for bringing this to light, i find it extremely intriguing. the question is, will anyone be compelled to implement any of it? looks like it would be very useful for adding some freshness and complexity to allegiance.
Spunkmeyer

Post by Spunkmeyer »

Yes, because Allegiance needs more complexity! ;)

Stuff Night is talking about really needs a new faction. Maybe you can convince Weed to soup up the Phoenix research tree.

Want bigger games? Log on to play at the official game time: 9pmET/8pmCT/7pmMT/6pmPT every day of the week. Also Saturdays 8pm UTC.