Fix the keymap

Catch-all for all development not having a specific forum.
Dome

Post by Dome »

Bump.

I use a different mapping than the one Masta just posted but his seems logical.

The most important thing is changing the default keymapping to support fps type side thrusting. This is a no brainer even if it doesn't follow with the training mission prompts.

This should be changed sooner rather than later.
Last edited by Dome on Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
raumvogel

Post by raumvogel »

I'm sure when Backtrak finds the time, it will be so.
BackTrak

Post by BackTrak »

What would you guys think about making key map option from the launcher, with a first time splash screen to let new users know it's there? Then they could switch at will, and it would have a little blurb about the training missing in there as well. The default for a new installation would be to use the enhanced key map.

Something like this:

We can start you off with an improved keyboard map that will improve your game. However, the improved keyboard map is not used by the training missing at this time. You can use Esc-G-C when you are in the game to change your keyboard mappings at any time.

X Use Enhanced keyboard map for flight controls (Recommended)
O Use Legacy Training keyboard map for flight controls

Whaddya think, sirs?
ImageImage
Mastametz

Post by Mastametz »

I have no opinion on this matter.
Last edited by Mastametz on Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's a new sheriff in town.
Dome

Post by Dome »

BackTrak wrote:QUOTE (BackTrak @ Oct 26 2012, 12:05 PM) What would you guys think about making key map option from the launcher, with a first time splash screen to let new users know it's there? Then they could switch at will, and it would have a little blurb about the training missing in there as well. The default for a new installation would be to use the enhanced key map.

Something like this:

We can start you off with an improved keyboard map that will improve your game. However, the improved keyboard map is not used by the training missing at this time. You can use Esc-G-C when you are in the game to change your keyboard mappings at any time.

X Use Enhanced keyboard map for flight controls (Recommended)
O Use Legacy Training keyboard map for flight controls

Whaddya think, sirs?
I think that would be great. It get's them thinking about keymappings ahead of time. Good idea.
Mastametz

Post by Mastametz »

Spunkmeyer

Post by Spunkmeyer »

Fixing the training mission is not that hard, and I should have time for it in a week or two.

I also have a keymap that keeps as many keys in default as possible while still creating a left-hand cluster around WASD. I think that's the best way to go about it - change the minimum number of keys possible to make the keymap usable. Players can then adjust the rest.
Last edited by Spunkmeyer on Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want bigger games? Log on to play at the official game time: 9pmET/8pmCT/7pmMT/6pmPT every day of the week. Also Saturdays 8pm UTC.

Mastametz

Post by Mastametz »

Nightflame

Post by Nightflame »

nightflame wrote:Let's keep it as clean as possible.

WASD - forward, left, back, right.
Clean fps standard. When newbies find they want up/down thrust, they can rebind.
QE - rotate
Can't do without these keys for rix, and frankly it's bad to try without them for anything else.
Space - boost
Connotations with 'jump' make space the obvious choice for boost.
Tab - Toggle mouse
Tab toggles, that's what the key is for. Chat and mouse control using the same key for that makes sense.
Clicks - Guns/missiles
I favor target center for middle click, and next/previous target for scroll, but that's open to debate. If you're changing targets, you're probably not using missiles (and vice versa).

I think most of us can agree on those bits.

What's left?
Ripcord
Reload
Chaff
Drop
Maybe cloak
Targeting.
Non combat keys can be away from the left side of the keyboard.

Keys left:
rfvcxz
alt
ctrl
shift

Lots of keys left to do the job. Arrange how you like. Ripcord or reload should go on r (fps standard suggests reload), the rest don't have a particularly intuitive spot. A few things like cargo need to be mapped out, but that's not a big deal either.

There are a bunch more bits I'd add, but the detail isn't important. ^That^ is my suggestion.
cashto wrote:QUOTE (cashto @ Feb 27 2012, 01:40 AM) The big brass balls award goes to Nightflame for mutinying spidey (and succeeding).
Mastametz

Post by Mastametz »

Last edited by Mastametz on Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.