Fix carrier blocking exploit

Development area for FreeAllegiance's Community Core.
Raveen

Post by Raveen »

If you remove the speed bump you make caltrops and mine camps less effective.

And yes, this tactic has been around for years, I clearly remember XT trying it with a freighter (Weed was pilot) back in the day. I remember it clearly because I managed to ram kill the freighter with my fig (I smacked off it and wasn't in a pod which really surprised me :) ).

Reducing the mass of a carrier seems like a sensible thing to try first IM (admittedly worthless) O.
ImageImage
Spidey: Can't think of a reason I'd need to know anything
One-Man-Bucket

Post by One-Man-Bucket »

Mines already do very little damage if you go in at minimum speed. The thing that kills you in prox camps are ints camping and actually flying through the mines.
TheAlaskan

Post by TheAlaskan »

The carrier trick is cheesy.. not cheating.
Mastametz

Post by Mastametz »

I have no opinion on this matter.
Last edited by Mastametz on Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's a new sheriff in town.
pkk

Post by pkk »

Sheriff Metz wrote:QUOTE (Sheriff Metz @ Oct 17 2012, 08:26 PM) Is it possible to implement a weapon that does no damage but can "push" things?
Everything is possible, if you bring it down to the source code...

Currently it's not, because missiles and projectiles just disappear on collision with objects.
The Escapist (Justin Emerson) @ Dec 21 2010, 02:33 PM:
The history of open-source Allegiance is paved with the bodies of dead code branches, forum flame wars, and personal vendettas. But a community remains because people still love the game.
MonAG

Post by MonAG »

pkk wrote:QUOTE (pkk @ Oct 17 2012, 03:59 PM) Everything is possible, if you bring it down to the source code...

Currently it's not, because missiles and projectiles just disappear on collision with objects.
Or design a cheap, manned, high mass, no weapons, kamikaze ship. :D
pkk

Post by pkk »

MonAG wrote:QUOTE (MonAG @ Oct 17 2012, 09:06 PM) Or design a cheap, manned, high mass, no weapons, kamikaze ship. :D
It's already in the game. It's called Belter HvyInt... :rofl:
The history of open-source Allegiance is paved with the bodies of dead code branches, forum flame wars, and personal vendettas. But a community remains because people still love the game.
Raveen

Post by Raveen »

Moved to Core Dev because this seems to be a core issue not a code one (so something might actually get done about it one day, possibly, if you're lucky).
ImageImage
Spidey: Can't think of a reason I'd need to know anything
Adept

Post by Adept »

pkk wrote:QUOTE (pkk @ Oct 17 2012, 01:55 PM) One of the problems is that carriers are large drones with high mass. If you lower the mass, it couldn't slow down that close after exiting the aleph. Back in 2000 carriers had only a tenth of their current mass (after DN 00.02.17: 50000, before DN 00.02.17: 5000).
Lower carrier-drone mass sounds good to me. Was it raised to make them immune to ramming? Seems like it's the source of the problem.
ImageImageImageImageImage
<bp|> Maybe when I grow up I can be a troll like PsycH
<bp|> or an obsessive compulsive paladin of law like Adept
pkk

Post by pkk »

It was increased because of aleph spin (May 2004):
http://fao.german-borg.de/modules.php?name...301&start=0

Spin was fixed with R4 (Nov 2007):
http://trac.alleg.net/changeset/129/allegsvn

So I don't see a reason to why not changing drone mass back to 5000.

The only reason why large constructors have a that high mass could be that they cost 10k, so they can't be rammed. They also can't block an aleph, because they're not that large like a carrier.