Fix carrier blocking exploit

Development area for FreeAllegiance's Community Core.
HSharp

Post by HSharp »

TurkeyXIII wrote:QUOTE (TurkeyXIII @ Oct 16 2012, 10:38 PM) Exit angle is random, and independent of entry angle.
You say this but Im sure that entering alephs not at centre can put you in a non-centre exit while going centre entry you exit centre.

I will do some testing tomorrow.
MonAG

Post by MonAG »

Sheriff Metz wrote:QUOTE (Sheriff Metz @ Oct 16 2012, 06:22 PM) Imagine if that tactic was used in the early game - which is the most important part of a game, the first 10 minutes or so - you will not have have tech available to be able to deal with that
Doesn´t seem useful as an early game tactic, because there are a lot of empty sectors and unprotected alephs. You just can go another way around. Or just choose another objective.

I would say that the carrier strat is a useful defensive tactic when you get cornered. And at that point the other team has map dominance, and can tech up to res, heavy cons, or capital ships.

Thinking it over, you can also send a carrier through the aleph to destroy the carrier block. Anyone care to test it some slow evening? ;)
Mastametz

Post by Mastametz »

I have no opinion on this matter.
Last edited by Mastametz on Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's a new sheriff in town.
TurkeyXIII

Post by TurkeyXIII »

HSharp wrote:QUOTE (HSharp @ Oct 17 2012, 11:30 AM) You say this but Im sure that entering alephs not at centre can put you in a non-centre exit while going centre entry you exit centre.
CODE89 Orientation alephOrientation = pwarpDest->GetOrientation();
90 const Vector& v = m_pShip->GetVelocity();
91 float speed2 = v.LengthSquared();
92 float speed = float(sqrt(speed2));
93 if (speed2 > 0)
94 {
95 float error;
96 {
97 //How close is the ship coming to the center of the warp?
98 Vector dp = pwarp->GetPosition() - m_pShip->GetPosition();
100 float t = (dp * v) / speed2;
101 float d = (dp - t * v).LengthSquared();
102 float r = pwarp->GetRadius();
104 error = (d / (r*r)) + 0.125f; //Error ranges from 0.125 to 1.125
105 // yp: to prevent 'spin of death' in massive ships.
106 // This works and is explained in that the more massive the ship the less effect going through the aleph should have
107 // on its rotational velocity. The massive amount of inertia should decrease changes in rotational velocity.
108 if(m_pShip->GetMass() > 300.0f)
109 {
110 error = error * (300.0f / m_pShip->GetMass()); // the greater the mass is above 750 the less error will be applied.
111 }
112 // yp end
113 }
115 alephOrientation.Pitch(random(-error, error));
116 alephOrientation.Yaw(random(-error, error));
118 m_pShip->SetCurrentTurnRate(c_axisRoll,
119 m_pShip->GetCurrentTurnRate(c_axisRoll) +
120 random(pi * 0.5f * error, pi * 1.5f * error)); //Must be less than 2.0 * pi
121 }
122 m_pShip->SetOrientation(alephOrientation);
Oh hey, you're right - the further from the center of the aleph you hit, the bigger the boundaries on the random direction you get sent out at.
QUOTE (Randall Munroe)14.2: Turkey consumption rate of the average American in milligrams per minute[/quote]
Mastametz

Post by Mastametz »

I have no opinion on this matter.
Last edited by Mastametz on Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's a new sheriff in town.
One-Man-Bucket

Post by One-Man-Bucket »

If the global aleph exit speed bump is a core value, it would be nice to test if lowering it would allow a bomber to go through at minimum speed.

Even if you can enter the aleph, it will be easy for enemy pilots to ram you back in. The difference is that it would require a pilot with sufficient skill to do so. And there would be some risk associated with the move (you could miss the ram or you could die). Using the carrier is a no risk move that's very potent.

Obviously you can use aleph res, you can push a carrier of your own and so on, but as it mastametz pointed out the cost of the counter tactics doesn't quite compare to just parking a carrier.

The fact is that RT did this in a squadgame in a very standard scenario;
we pushed an outpost to the sector next to his tac base and bombed. They used the carrier exploit and bomber just bounced back out, I tried going in tree times (at slightly differnet angles) as close to 0 mps as i could, but just bounced out again. Every time you bounce out you have to turn the bomber around 180 degrees.
In the end we had to wait until the ints were able to kill the carrier before we could bomb.

In the end, it's a REALLY effective way to stop bomb runs. You can use it instead of probing a dangerous sector (the carrier will buy you enough time to get everyone home), you can use carrier + a couple of nans to stop enemy counter bombs. It's a very common squad game scenario where both teams have bombers and the trick is to be able to hit a target and get home fast to stop.

I know that the exploit has been around for ages, but I haven't seen it in a long time, and never in a squad game. The only fair thing is to make sure everyone knows about it and uses it until it's fixed. Or view it as the same kind of exploit as putting probes inside enemy bases.
pkk

Post by pkk »

One of the problems is that carriers are large drones with high mass. If you lower the mass, it couldn't slow down that close after exiting the aleph. Back in 2000 carriers had only a tenth of their current mass (after DN 00.02.17: 50000, before DN 00.02.17: 5000).
One-Man-Bucket wrote:QUOTE (One-Man-Bucket @ Oct 17 2012, 12:47 PM) Every time you bounce out you have to turn the bomber around 180 degrees.
Trust backwards... :whistle:
Last edited by pkk on Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Escapist (Justin Emerson) @ Dec 21 2010, 02:33 PM:
The history of open-source Allegiance is paved with the bodies of dead code branches, forum flame wars, and personal vendettas. But a community remains because people still love the game.
Weedman

Post by Weedman »

lol

pkk hop in a game, and load a bomber, i will engage in carrier defense and watch you attempt as many times asa you like to enter
QUOTE Once engaged 13 and a half Dreg Heavy Ints (at the same time) with an IC Int and emerged in a heavy int with 2 mini 3 and 1 mini dis and all foes destroyed
--- QUOTE (spideycw @ Apr 1 2009, 01:53 PM) Definition of wtfpwn: Weedman in an int[/quote]
Lordus Weedicus II•Uses TS but can be difficult to understand due to the fact has never been sober•Expert int whore (without non-standard use of strafe buttons)•Gains skill increase when playing with Aarmstrong or former members of TRA•Expert miner D (ability to aim)•Can be trusted to run your economy•One of the half dozen or so game changers•Average Stacker
MonAG

Post by MonAG »

Look at the bright side.... Carriers are seldom used in SG. This can bring them back to the golden ages. :D

It is incredible that this game still allows to invent new tactics after 10 years. I think the game provides enough tools to counter it, if you are willing to use them.

I would vote to keep the things as they are, and see how it plays out. Maybe it is not so difficult to counter if you are prepared for it, and use the correct tools. Right now, people are using the hammer, and crying because the hammer doesn´t work ("I can´t get in with my bomber! Recode the game so I can get in with my bomber!"). Well, use another tool from the toolbox. Adjustments can be done later if it turns out to be too powerful.

But if we start coding out every new tactic, we are really not encouraging much creative thinking... In my case, I consider that defeating the carrier block is a new challenge. I like new challenges.
TurkeyXIII

Post by TurkeyXIII »

I'd like to see what kind of effect you'd get by reducing the mass of the carrier. It's currently 1000 times (!) the mass of a (empty) bomber, which makes pushing it out of the way impossible.
QUOTE (Randall Munroe)14.2: Turkey consumption rate of the average American in milligrams per minute[/quote]