what is the best way to match up callsigns to forum names

Catch-all for all development not having a specific forum.
fwiffo

Post by fwiffo »

callsigns defined to be on the squad roster page

forum names defined to be the valid name that would allow me to send a pm to that person

for instance:

callsign: sheffwill

should match up to

forum name: spkwill

but other than a manual process, i cant figure out a way to put these two together
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
A Spathi's Axiom for Survival: "The only brave Spathi is a dead Spathi. RUN YOU FOOLS!"
MonAG

Post by MonAG »

callsigns + hiders + forum names = :bang:
TurkeyXIII

Post by TurkeyXIII »

Edit distance?

It's kind of random though.
QUOTE (Randall Munroe)14.2: Turkey consumption rate of the average American in milligrams per minute[/quote]
fwiffo

Post by fwiffo »

u mean similar to fuzzy matching? i guess i can do that.. could result in a bunch of unintended errors... i mean people still confuse fufi and fwiffo...

is there anything else more reliable? kind of at a loss
A Spathi's Axiom for Survival: "The only brave Spathi is a dead Spathi. RUN YOU FOOLS!"
TurkeyXIII

Post by TurkeyXIII »

Yeah, fuzzy matching uses a form of edit distance, I think.

If you want to automate it, you are guaranteed to get unintended errors. BabelFish's forum name is Raven_42 - how could a script possibly figure that out?
QUOTE (Randall Munroe)14.2: Turkey consumption rate of the average American in milligrams per minute[/quote]
fwiffo

Post by fwiffo »

ah ok time for plan b... manual method -.-
madpeople

Post by madpeople »

Initially match by most frequently used recent IP addresses*, that should cut your two big groups of strings to match into lots of little groups**. Do your fuzzy shenanigans string matching on the little groups.

*This should work for people who have fixed IP addresses and who have changing IP addresses, but have both read the forums and played in a single session.

**These little groups will probably be:
single user name, no forum name - doesn't read forums or an error, may want to compare with the rest laterno user name, single forum name - made forum account, didn't play, may be an error compare with rest laterSingle user name, single forum name - a person with no hiders, even if these strings are very different, you could assume they are the same personmultiple user names, single forum names - a person with hiders, a family/group of players living together with only one forum usermultiple user names, multiple forum names - a family with one game names and forum account each, multiple game names and a single forum account each, or is golddragon ;)

Or add a field to an ACSS account for forum name (well, maybe it should contain user ID...), ask players to fill it out.
Last edited by madpeople on Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
pkk

Post by pkk »

IP.Converge (currently being replaced by IPS Connect with 3.4 release) is a solution for IP.Board.

BT currently dropped that feature:
BackTrak wrote:QUOTE (BackTrak @ Sep 14 2012, 10:21 PM) MD5 hashing was introduced when I made a module to integrate ACSS with the forums, however IPB's API left so much to be desired that I disabled the connector and left the systems seperate. This last change removes the hooks that I put in to the account system for IPC and boosts them with better security.
Last edited by pkk on Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Escapist (Justin Emerson) @ Dec 21 2010, 02:33 PM:
The history of open-source Allegiance is paved with the bodies of dead code branches, forum flame wars, and personal vendettas. But a community remains because people still love the game.
fwiffo

Post by fwiffo »

yea thx.. but i dont have access to their ips to match up.. neither from game server or on forum's server.. just too bad. the manual way im thinking of is through an opt-in form where they can fill in their forum name next to their callsign if they are currently not receiving PMs generated by the service... that's probably the simplest most straightforward way that i know how to make it work...
madpeople wrote:QUOTE (madpeople @ Sep 22 2012, 03:55 AM) Initially match by most frequently used recent IP addresses*, that should cut your two big groups of strings to match into lots of little groups**. Do your fuzzy shenanigans string matching on the little groups.

*This should work for people who have fixed IP addresses and who have changing IP addresses, but have both read the forums and played in a single session.

**These little groups will probably be:
single user name, no forum name - doesn't read forums or an error, may want to compare with the rest laterno user name, single forum name - made forum account, didn't play, may be an error compare with rest laterSingle user name, single forum name - a person with no hiders, even if these strings are very different, you could assume they are the same personmultiple user names, single forum names - a person with hiders, a family/group of players living together with only one forum usermultiple user names, multiple forum names - a family with one game names and forum account each, multiple game names and a single forum account each, or is golddragon ;)

Or add a field to an ACSS account for forum name (well, maybe it should contain user ID...), ask players to fill it out.