belter bomb runs are too powerful

Development area for FreeAllegiance's Community Core.
Mastametz

Post by Mastametz »

Remove boosters from belters scouts or we are not playing on CC anymore.
bombers that can get rammed up to like 200mps, and rammed out of the way of mines and any attempt to spike, all the while having enough hull to eat prox camps, is a joke.
XC development has just come up again. Better start considering community interests if you want the community to ever use this core.
There's a new sheriff in town.
Dome

Post by Dome »

yeah imo bombers should never be able to go more than 100mps. There should be a speed limiter.
pkk

Post by pkk »

Sheriff Metz wrote:QUOTE (Sheriff Metz @ Sep 16 2012, 11:04 PM) Remove boosters from belters scouts or we are not playing on CC anymore.
You can't deal with a tactic, which brought to perfection with no single core change within 10+ years?

Bombers still have the same mass like in 2001.
Scouts still have the same mass and can mount boosters like in 2001.

Keep the things like they are? :o
The Escapist (Justin Emerson) @ Dec 21 2010, 02:33 PM:
The history of open-source Allegiance is paved with the bodies of dead code branches, forum flame wars, and personal vendettas. But a community remains because people still love the game.
Raven_42

Post by Raven_42 »

Metz, its not even an issue of one ship (belts scouts) boosting belts heavy bbrs. Any bbr/tt can be rammed with similar stupid results by anything else with boosts. Something would have to be fixed in code probably. I was thinking, if you can find the code that applies drag when you are over the ships maximum speed, and make the effect exponentially increased as you hit multiples of this speed, you would fix the problem no bother. (So say the bbr cruises at 60, when it gets rammed to 70 it slowly loses that speed, but if it got rammed near 120, it would lose it twice as fast, if it got to 180 it would lose it 3 times as fast). But as I say, I think this is a code issue more than core.

Code: Select all

[img]http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/4351/babelfish.png[/img]
TurkeyXIII

Post by TurkeyXIII »

Doing it like that (not exponential though, quadratic is more realistic) would create all kinds of havoc with the way boosters work in general. An int gets over its top speed of 75 (ish) by boosting, starts getting more and more drag and can't go as fast.

All moot though, the only reason this is a topic is because metz is pissy about letting k10 command.
QUOTE (Randall Munroe)14.2: Turkey consumption rate of the average American in milligrams per minute[/quote]
dusanc

Post by dusanc »

Just leave ff on and hope people can aim
- "History repeats itself for a reason" - "It's easy to cry for war when you've never experienced it" - "It's better to negotiate for 10 years then make war for 10 days" - "The strong do as they will, and the weak do as they must"
Mastametz

Post by Mastametz »

DusanC wrote:QUOTE (DusanC @ Sep 17 2012, 04:55 AM) Just leave ff on and hope people can aim
Belters, especially belters sup, is way too strong. Belters figs are just ints with missles that can rip and nan. There's no need to buy t2 tech so you just buy belters bombers, enh figs, and ship hull, because you're just going pick up any floating tech, and steal anything your enemy gets to try to kill your bombers with. Then you spam bombers everywhere across the map at 150+mps where if you do get a camp against it (which it does require a camp of many people, vs only needing 2 people on the bomb run) they can already have moved to run on another sector in seconds.

on the other team -If you go on miner o, boosting scouts are going to boost from base and instantly be in nan range. If you try to bomb and get eyed - which you will because there's boosting scouts everywhere that you can't chase down - belters scouts will boost to instantly be at said aleph to prox. if they go on miner o, boosting scouts will boostram your miner into a rock and kill it in 3 seconds. If they bomb you, you can't spike the bomber because the boosting scouts can keep the bomber steadily going 150+ while ramming it out of the way of any dumbfire spike or prox cloud. If you try to pick off nans - your base is already dead. and meanwhile all this is going on, belters is free mining because your whole team has to stay on bomber d the whole game, and then the belters hvy bombers with ship hull 2 show up, which just virtually ignore damage, and then you lose.

The only thing that can reliably stop this crap is PT bombers, which have ever been the most overpowered ship in the game, just nobody can use them well.
but I suppose being able to counter something overpowered with something else overpowered is balance, right? right.
pkk wrote:QUOTE (pkk @ Sep 16 2012, 02:19 PM) You can't deal with a tactic, which brought to perfection with no single core change within 10+ years?

Bombers still have the same mass like in 2001.
Scouts still have the same mass and can mount boosters like in 2001.

Keep the things like they are? :o
Many things have been horribly imbalanced, forever.
They don't get fixed until they get exploited repeatedly,
if they ever get fixed at all.

I exploited tf repeatedly until it saw major nerfs, I exploited rix hvy scout rush repeatedly until hvy scouts got tied to tech base, I exploited pt bombers until they starting costing per AB (which is a joke)
NI started doing tons of OH exp, and then the ints got bigger.
since nobody listens to me in core discussions, I get results through performance. If I win using something, it is obviously overpowered, and must be nerfed immediately.
but it doesn't surprise me that it doesn't hold true with others. when I exploit it's overpowered, when others exploit it's tactics and skill.
Last edited by Mastametz on Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's a new sheriff in town.
qqmwoarplox

Post by qqmwoarplox »

Babel how did it feel to "overboost" past a base with your bomber? : D
Raven_42

Post by Raven_42 »

Heh K10, only did that once. I learned to start pointing backwards while you base was at about 1k.

Code: Select all

[img]http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/4351/babelfish.png[/img]
Spunkmeyer

Post by Spunkmeyer »

Belter scouts had the boosters forever - but there have been boosts to Belters that would strengthen them.

Most significantly fighters used to be able to carry only 1 mg. Somewhere in DN or CC they were allowed to mount two. That essentially makes them (vs exp, which is pretty common of course) mg3 basic ints that can rip and carry missiles (don't forget about 21% sup hull upgrade so we are talking 900+ light hp here)

Less significant but adding to the issue metz is bitching about is light boosters on bombers.

There could be other stuff in there if I try and dig it out but those two are pretty non-sensical.

Want bigger games? Log on to play at the official game time: 9pmET/8pmCT/7pmMT/6pmPT every day of the week. Also Saturdays 8pm UTC.