Marketing

"Can someone create a ________ for me?"
pkk

Post by pkk »

We need someone, who takes care of the marketing section of FreeAllegiance. SaiSoma did an awesome job, until he left.

There is already a twitter channel and a facebook page, but nobody takes care and there is already lots of content, which was produced between Sep 2009 and Feb 2010.

If you think you're qualified, let us know.
Last edited by pkk on Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added links
The Escapist (Justin Emerson) @ Dec 21 2010, 02:33 PM:
The history of open-source Allegiance is paved with the bodies of dead code branches, forum flame wars, and personal vendettas. But a community remains because people still love the game.
Dome

Post by Dome »

I could do this. And I could assemble a team of trusted advisers to help me do this. One in the same.
aem

Post by aem »

SaiSoma's marketing section of the website? That is rather pointless tbh and will not do much to bring us new players. We need to have ftp access to the freeallegiance.org/ directory and a new MySQL database created. Install a CMS, preferably Wordpress, and get SEO set up properly. Guaranteed to help bring a lot more traffic to the website. Any other marketing efforts such as twitter & facebook are relatively pointless compared to Google. Not saying twitter, facebook, etc should be ignored, but they are kind of a waste of time without proper SEO on our homepage. Instead of homepage though, we need a full website...well at least 4-5 pages. The more content we make, the more keywords we will rank for with Google.

I could easily set up Wordpress for us if needed. Very simply and quick to install. Google AdWords would definitely help as well if the community will put money into it.

BTW, unsure if SaiSoma is around or not, but he did make me an admin of the Facebook page. I can grant others if needed.
Last edited by aem on Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
raumvogel

Post by raumvogel »

I see in another thread that the PAD file will soon be ready. :psyched:
Last edited by raumvogel on Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
pkk

Post by pkk »

Dome wrote:QUOTE (Dome @ Jul 30 2012, 08:56 PM) I could do this. And I could assemble a team of trusted advisers to help me do this. One in the same.
Nice, I've told FB to give you access to the old marketing area, so you can take a look at the past work.

Maybe there are more people willing to help, so no decision is made yet.
AEM wrote:QUOTE (AEM @ Jul 31 2012, 12:49 AM) Instead of homepage though, we need a full website...well at least 4-5 pages. The more content we make, the more keywords we will rank for with Google.
Like that one:
http://news.freeallegiance.org/
AEM wrote:QUOTE (AEM @ Jul 31 2012, 12:49 AM) BTW, unsure if SaiSoma is around or not, but I he did make me an admin of the Facebook page. I can grant others if needed.
He is around.
The Escapist (Justin Emerson) @ Dec 21 2010, 02:33 PM:
The history of open-source Allegiance is paved with the bodies of dead code branches, forum flame wars, and personal vendettas. But a community remains because people still love the game.
Adept

Post by Adept »

I'm happy to get back to marketting (but have no wish to be the lead). I've been waiting for the new security system to go live.
ImageImageImageImageImage
<bp|> Maybe when I grow up I can be a troll like PsycH
<bp|> or an obsessive compulsive paladin of law like Adept
privateerm

Post by privateerm »

I have been working on some of this for a few months. I chatted with TE last week, and FB and I are supposed to have a meeting in the near future. Here is a dynamic picture of what I would like to work on:

1) Get Analytics Running
a. Google analytics
b. Google webmaster tools
c. Bing webmaster tools
2) Install a CMS
a. My preferance would be Joomla(latest)
b. Create a template usiing the current alleg.net page as a reference
c. Install XML site map and submit sitemaps to both webmaster tools
d. Content integration and linking; Keywork targeted pages
i. Create a maintenance team with one member responsible for each content type(forums, youtube, twitter, facebook,...)
I see the CMS holding descrptive pages with targeted keywords that act as 'portals' to the forums, facebook, stats.. etc. Each page would be visible without scolling,
concise, and informative. We would not need to wait for the new security client, but simply create another page when the new client comes out.
ii. Joomla's content sections/category design makes organizing and changing pages very efficient.
e. Backup and security TBD with TE/FB.
3) Events.........
4) Funraising........
Blah blah blah blah (breath) blah blah blah blah (breath) oh, what was this thread about again......
aem

Post by aem »

pkk wrote:QUOTE (pkk @ Jul 31 2012, 06:28 AM) Like that one:
http://news.freeallegiance.org/
Not really
PrivateerM wrote:QUOTE (PrivateerM @ Jul 31 2012, 10:56 AM) a. Google analytics
b. Create a template usiing the current alleg.net page as a reference
It is pretty sad we do not have analytics running. Of course that is not as sad as our home page title being "FreeAllegiance - Home Page". Sigh...

SpaceJunk had been working on a homepage that looks far better than the current one (http://alleg.franontanaya.com/) and a forum theme. I have no idea why the new design for at least the homepage was never implemented. I never did like the current homepage, but the newer version with a little tweaking could be nice....

Add shadow to logo so it pops...kind of blends in with the background.Slideshow needs to be improved, but definitely better to have a slideshow than videos like we do now. Video should be on a separate page. Slideshow text must be visible to Google. I have not looked into this, so not sure if it is now. If not, we would have to add a text section between the video and "latest logs". Must get Google readable keywords on the homepage.Polish up the buttons..not very pretty right now. Also I don't think system req is the best use of the space on the begin playing button.Reduce number of links on bottom of page.

Also we need to delete the homepage on alleg.net. Stick with freeallegiance.org. Duplicate content is a very very bad thing and it will drop us in search.
Last edited by aem on Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spunkmeyer

Post by Spunkmeyer »

AEM,

I'm glad you are thinking about this, and I hope we can enact some changes here and get SOME kind of ranking going before it's too late. And even if it's too late.... maybe I'm a bit optimistic, but given the lack of a similar game, Allegiance has potential for a relaunch & rebranding.
AEM wrote:QUOTE (AEM @ Aug 5 2012, 03:41 AM) SpaceJunk had been working on a homepage that looks far better than the current one (http://alleg.franontanaya.com/) and a forum theme. I have no idea why the new design for at least the homepage was never implemented. I never did like the current homepage, but the newer version with a little tweaking could be nice....
I somewhat disagree. I agree with your bullet points that follow, however the new design also has its issues. The "sci-fi" header font is seriously unreadable. It also manages to be even more text-heavy than the current page: when I get to the current page I instantly get a good quick overview of what the game is. With the new page, I have to click on the overview button and run into a wall-of-text. Finally the color scheme of the new page, while may be more space-oriented, is a lot more common and doesn't stand out as much as the current one.

(I've already voiced most of this to SpaceJunk when he first produced the design, but from his "$#@! off" response back then I figure he is not interested in producing variations.)

All that IMHO of course, and is not why the new design was not implemented/considered. That's probably more to do with TE not having time for anything. But I just don't see it as much of a design improvement over the current one, SEO issues aside.

QUOTE Also we need to delete the homepage on alleg.net. Stick with freeallegiance.org. Duplicate content is a very very bad thing and it will drop us in search.[/quote]

Yep, a simple forward would suffice. In the old days, alleg.net used to be a series of links to various sites we had and that kind of functionality is irrelevant now.

Want bigger games? Log on to play at the official game time: 9pmET/8pmCT/7pmMT/6pmPT every day of the week. Also Saturdays 8pm UTC.

Adept

Post by Adept »

Spunkmeyer wrote:QUOTE (Spunkmeyer @ Aug 5 2012, 06:19 PM) maybe I'm a bit optimistic, but given the lack of a similar game, Allegiance has potential for a relaunch & rebranding.
I absolutely agree.

I still think there may be a chance to get Allegiance distributed as a free game on Steam. :unsure:
ImageImageImageImageImage
<bp|> Maybe when I grow up I can be a troll like PsycH
<bp|> or an obsessive compulsive paladin of law like Adept