Shorten available air in pods?

Development area for FreeAllegiance's Community Core.
qqmwoarplox

Post by qqmwoarplox »

leave pods as they're . . .
Spunkmeyer

Post by Spunkmeyer »

We could actually decouple this from the KB concern by adding a "dump air" key (yeah code change but it's simple). The net effect would be you could always have your 5 mins if you wanted.

There is still the question of whether something like a 2-min minimum is healthy for the game.

Want bigger games? Log on to play at the official game time: 9pmET/8pmCT/7pmMT/6pmPT every day of the week. Also Saturdays 8pm UTC.

Papsmear

Post by Papsmear »

The idea was in response to new player retention.
No one likes to float for 5 minutes in a pod and this could very well be a reason new players stop playing the game, they get podded more often and spend way more time in pods, lessening their gaming experience and increasing the chances of them leaving.

Less air in the pod = less time in a pod.
ImageImage
Cortex

Post by Cortex »

Code: Select all

air [s] = 300 * rank / 30
? ;)
This is Sparta. Not spa. — Wurf
Papsmear

Post by Papsmear »

Interesting idea
ImageImage
Spunkmeyer

Post by Spunkmeyer »

If you make it a fixed duration you'd be denying lower ranks the option to take a longer trip and retain KB.

If implemented it should probably scale up exponentially since the concern is just newbies and implemented the way I suggested, with a fixed 5 minute (or 3 minute) upper limit, with an option to reduce to whatever your rank allows. We could put the information in the HUD.
Last edited by Spunkmeyer on Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want bigger games? Log on to play at the official game time: 9pmET/8pmCT/7pmMT/6pmPT every day of the week. Also Saturdays 8pm UTC.

BackTrak

Post by BackTrak »

Spunkmeyer wrote:QUOTE (Spunkmeyer @ Jul 25 2012, 07:37 AM) We could actually decouple this from the KB concern by adding a "dump air" key (yeah code change but it's simple). The net effect would be you could always have your 5 mins if you wanted.

There is still the question of whether something like a 2-min minimum is healthy for the game.
I like this one, with the max time at 5 mins, with the option only available for rank 5 and lower. (nubbin perk!)

We could also update the info text on the pod which says "press b, then p to return to base" (or some such, can't remember any more), to say: or press CTRL-D-D-D to eject now!
ImageImage
Papsmear

Post by Papsmear »

I'd like that option as well :D
ImageImage
Spunkmeyer

Post by Spunkmeyer »

j0akes

Post by j0akes »

WINNING! :cheers:
Streaming all game now till forever. Twtich.tv/The_Nerd_Sweeper

$#@! @#(! up Till the END of time.