Shorten available air in pods?

Development area for FreeAllegiance's Community Core.
Cortex

Post by Cortex »

Thank god it's not up to you, because that would remove a big strategic aspect and one of the cleverest ideas of the Allegiance designers from the game.
This is Sparta. Not spa. — Wurf
Papsmear

Post by Papsmear »

It was mentioned in a thread in the game play to start playing smaller games with pods off as a newbies retention thing.

My suggestion in that thread was to shorten the amount of "air" in a pod so you still have to travel a while in a pod but not as long as you currently do. Lower it to a 5 minute or 3 minute maximum?
ImageImage
BackTrak

Post by BackTrak »

Papsmear wrote:QUOTE (Papsmear @ Jul 24 2012, 03:02 PM) It was mentioned in a thread in the game play to start playing smaller games with pods off as a newbies retention thing.

My suggestion in that thread was to shorten the amount of "air" in a pod so you still have to travel a while in a pod but not as long as you currently do. Lower it to a 5 minute or 3 minute maximum?

It does also kill your KB when your pod pops. Altho, it's been a long time since I had the full 5 minute experience.... and that's almost always at the end of the game when they pop each base right before you get to it, over and over until you finally die and get a basic fig as a reward. Them bastids.
ImageImage
Spunkmeyer

Post by Spunkmeyer »

I doubt 3 min will change anything, let alone 5 (which is what it is now anyway) Death by boundary is about a 3 minute experience, and that's already pretty damn long.

Two minutes may be effective but that means two things:

1) You can't pod the entire team and make a counter-attack
2) When you get podded after a deep run, unless a pickup makes it, you ARE going to lose your KB. This will op factions with RPs.

To counter #2 you can nerf those faction's damage output globally and that may work. No counter for #1 but then it may not be a huge deal.
Last edited by Spunkmeyer on Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want bigger games? Log on to play at the official game time: 9pmET/8pmCT/7pmMT/6pmPT every day of the week. Also Saturdays 8pm UTC.

qqmwoarplox

Post by qqmwoarplox »

Keep it as it is
j0akes

Post by j0akes »

j0akes wrote:QUOTE (j0akes @ Jul 24 2012, 12:36 AM) I don't see why we should turn pods off. It would be cool to shorten the life span of pods for newbies, but we shouldn't have to do that either.
What about just for newbies?
Streaming all game now till forever. Twtich.tv/The_Nerd_Sweeper

$#@! @#(! up Till the END of time.
Adept

Post by Adept »

The 3 min max could work without changing things very much.
ImageImageImageImageImage
<bp|> Maybe when I grow up I can be a troll like PsycH
<bp|> or an obsessive compulsive paladin of law like Adept
TurkeyXIII

Post by TurkeyXIII »

Spunkmeyer wrote:QUOTE (Spunkmeyer @ Jul 25 2012, 08:59 AM) I doubt 3 min will change anything, let alone 5 (which is what it is now anyway) Death by boundary is about a 3 minute experience
That's the upper limit of what you should be aiming for. Makes no sense to have it longer than the time taken to commit suicide.

Lower limit might be defined by bomber speed... say you pod a team near your base, you immediately dock and counterbomb... say it takes 10s to dock/relaunch, your bomber goes 60 m/s and you need to cover say 3k to get close enough for the advantage to pay off... 3k/60 + 10 = 60 seconds. Absolute minimum assuming all games are played with alert and cohesive teams.
But we all know it takes an average team at least a minute to launch a bomber, and tier 3 tech often means covering 3k unhindered can't guarantee a base kill. Ehhh, this turned out to be a long winded agreement with Spunky.

Except for the RPs thing - getting home faster > KB, so RPs will be slightly less powerful. (And factions that can pick pods from their refs/teles will have a slightly smaller advantage).
QUOTE (Randall Munroe)14.2: Turkey consumption rate of the average American in milligrams per minute[/quote]
pkk

Post by pkk »

You could also increase the speed (ripcord time) of pods.
The Escapist (Justin Emerson) @ Dec 21 2010, 02:33 PM:
The history of open-source Allegiance is paved with the bodies of dead code branches, forum flame wars, and personal vendettas. But a community remains because people still love the game.
Dome

Post by Dome »

pkk wrote:QUOTE (pkk @ Jul 25 2012, 02:17 AM) You could also increase the speed (ripcord time) of pods.
allow pods from all factions to ripcord? not a bad idea.

Should buff bios in response and bios needs a buff anyways.