Creating a new faction

Development areas for Allegiance core (IGC) design.
Katya

Post by Katya »

As a bit of an ongoing project for when I need a break from things, I thought it could/would be fun to design a faction. There is still much to learn about things, such as just what is the difference between a torque of 1.05 vs 1.1, so I don't want to put hard numbers down and instead I just want to talk about what I am thinking of. I'd also like to get community feedback as to good ways to make sure this faction is balanced, fun to play, and things to add that I might not think of.

My idea for this faction is that it has no missiles, and that it is a relatively stealthy faction. I also want to give them less armor, but stronger thrusters/engines to compensate. I'd like to try to limit this faction's light craft to mini style shields. This faction will also have sophisticated technology, so sensors will be stronger, shields will be lighter but faster charging, energy replenishes faster.

I would like this faction to be somewhat stealthy, but I am not sure the best way to go about it. The three options I've thought of are:

1) Make the base sig lower

2) Let all craft be able to equip Sig Cloak

3) Give them a unique light version of a Sig Cloak equipable on all craft, with stealth fighters able to equip regular Sig Cloak.

Faction perks:

Light armor and light shields with high recharge rate
Gunships/Bombers/Transports will have a shield stronger than a standard Medium shield, but still less armor.
Starts with Scout/Fighter
Faster energy regen
Stronger sensors
Faster rip (10%-20%)
Increased speed/acc/handling of light craft
Hvy gunship available in the Garr

Just wanted to touch on the increased speed/acc/handling thing. It might be that when you don't equip any missiles and have the armored reduced this much the ships will handle how I'd like them to, or it might be that I give the ships a slight boost in how they perform. My general thought is I want this ships to be fairly agile, and that they do not have as much mass, plus they have 'stronger' engines.

A thought is also to give them an extra gun mount. So either a regular scout or Adv Scout will have 2 gun mounts. Basic Fighters have 3, and so on. Secondly, I want to give this faction some kind of damage boost, but again I'm not sure on the way to go about it.

1) Enhance range or enhance gun damage

2) Give Hvy craft a dual weapon mount

I'm thinking of this faction going the combat drone route like Rix, but if I could create mines that explode when you get close enough to them then that could be quite interesting. Especially if you mine up He3 rocks so that the enemy miners go kablooie.

I might like to have this faction focus on energy weapons, but still have access to Gat/Mini/stuff too.

Faction weaknesses:

Slower research time (2min?)
Slower construction
Weaker armor (80%-90%)
Weaker shields (70%-90%) but faster charging so it comes out in a wash
Extra tech stations similar in function to the Research/Palisade stations?
???

Caps:

Not sure yet what I want to do here. If caps are used, I want this faction to focus more on corvettes, destroyers, and carriers. Maybe have cruisers too. They will NOT have access to such things as battleships/dreadnaughts and the like. That being said, this faction's cap shields will be tougher, and they will carry more forward firing guns than their counterparts. Carriers will act as a heavy rip so that they can rip in anything.

I have yet to decide if I want to give the caps base killing tech, I might make it so that the caps are strictly to kill anything in the way of a bomber/transport ripping in. In particular I don't want to give the carriers a main gun that can take out a base, I think that would be a bit overpowered. An idea that I'm toying with is give corvettes and destroyers the ability to equip a main gun that can damage bases, and maybe give carriers a special turret that can damage bases. Or I could give them all turrets that can damage bases...

Oh, it should also be said that while this faction will be only able to use corvettes/destroyers/carriers, I plan on giving them more shield/weapon options. The idea is that by the time the other side reaches battleship tech, this faction will be able to handle it. Granted, you 'll need to work together and you will lose ships in order to kill that battleship.

Stuff that I like the sound of:

Decoy craft, it looks like a bomber, it gives off alarms like a bomber, but it carries no base killing tech. High energy and cloaking (hvy cloak?) abilities to let it hide, reposition, and cause more distractions.

A starting AWACS type craft. No weapons, maybe make it a light rip so that it can rip in fighters to kill cons/miners. Might give it the ability to cloak and a $500-$1000 purchase price so that it can't be spammed. I might let it drop probes and mines.

Passive listening stations. Low sig high sensor stations that can be built as a sensor net, might make it a light base like Giga bases.

Weapon platforms. Much like a tower, built on an asteroid, more as an anti cap ship thing than anything else. Can only be built with a SY.

Instead of missiles, give this faction a railgun in the missile slot. A very high velocity moderately damaging (slow/fast?) firing weapon. Main idea is an anti miner/con/bomber/nan spike weapon. For balance issues, the faster firing it is the lower damage I want it to do.

Gotta get going for now on some other things, let me know what you all think of it so far!
ChaoticStorm

Post by ChaoticStorm »

Making a second thread wasn't really needed...
For a refernece point when a new guy suggests new faction ideas you get this
magenta warriors
As you see it ends badly, you have been thusly warned.
Elzam_

Post by Elzam_ »

Looks like you're trying to mix Bios and Rix.

Btw, they're MAGEINTA Warriors. Not MAGENTA Warriors.
A hero is not one who never falls, but one who gets up again and again, NEVER losing sight of one's dream!
qqmwoarplox

Post by qqmwoarplox »

ChaoticStorm wrote:QUOTE (ChaoticStorm @ May 8 2012, 01:08 PM) Making a second thread wasn't really needed...
For a refernece point when a new guy suggests new faction ideas you get this
magenta warriors
As you see it ends badly, you have been thusly warned.
this thread is actually quite funny
Sundance_

Post by Sundance_ »

:o

:bang:
Psychosis wrote:QUOTE (Psychosis @ Jan 12 2012, 09:42 PM) someone has to do it, and your vagina seems to be closed for business.
FreeBeer wrote:QUOTE (FreeBeer @ Sep 8 2011, 06:12 PM) Blow up toys never say no.
TheAlaskan wrote:QUOTE (TheAlaskan @ Sep 20 2012, 02:19 PM) Sundance_ is my boy.
lexaal

Post by lexaal »

Elzam V. Branstein wrote:QUOTE (Elzam V. Branstein @ May 8 2012, 07:37 PM) Looks like you're trying to mix Bios and Rix.

Btw, they're MAGEINTA Warriors. Not MAGENTA Warriors.
MaGAYnta Warriors.

Katya, your faction sounds very attractive considered the many bonuses compared to the "token" weaknesses. You really need to give more weaknesses to your faction.

Also: We found out that it is a tough job to ensure that a faction which looks perfectly balanced in the forum is balanced in gameplay.
I have a johnson photo in my profile since 2010.
Psychosis

Post by Psychosis »

hell, people have trouble balancing the EXISTING factions.

crack open ice, use existing models, go to work.

if you actually produce something, then I will read your stuff, until then TL;DR, good luck!