The Stupid Questions Topic™

Open forum for new Pilots.
notjarvis

Post by notjarvis »

Guys & Gals, the material is all online. We might add a topic or two in here.

While there are set sessions planned the best way to use this opportunity to the max is by asking questions. Questions you can't ask in game or in the general forums without fear of ridicule.

So please ask away here. We might give you a shorter answer because the material is covered in depth in Cadet II, or the information is covered elsewhere. But your participation here is what makes this work! Fire away!
White Owl

Post by White Owl »

Why don't Allegiance veterans like to play the whole game from start to finish? Why are most only interested in the middle part of the game?

They don't join up until the game has been running for ten minutes or so. Then when it looks like one team is probably going to lose, they almost always resign instead of playing the game through to the end. To me, this is much more frustrating than merely dealing with trash talk.
cashto

Post by cashto »

Because some of them are dicks. :D All there is to do at the beginning of the game is scout, and who wants to do THAT?

That said, I usually won't join a game unless there's at least 3-4 other players on the team. Too easy to inadvertently stack, for one, and secondly it's really not much fun of a game if the team sizes are any smaller than that.
Globemaster_III wrote:QUOTE (Globemaster_III @ Jan 11 2018, 11:27 PM) as you know i think very little of cashto, cashto alway a flying low pilot, he alway flying a trainer airplane and he rented
Icky

Post by Icky »

White Owl wrote:QUOTE (White Owl @ Mar 22 2012, 09:39 AM) Why don't Allegiance veterans like to play the whole game from start to finish? Why are most only interested in the middle part of the game?

They don't join up until the game has been running for ten minutes or so. Then when it looks like one team is probably going to lose, they almost always resign instead of playing the game through to the end. To me, this is much more frustrating than merely dealing with trash talk.
Because the beginning and end are typically the most boring parts of the game.

Openings are almost always take scouts, drop probes, find alephs, maybe d miners just in case someone rushes.

Mid is where the action is: push bases, swarm miners, bombing, growth, etc.

Endgame can be frustrating since normally it's pretty predictable - once team B loses their techbase or whatever, the writing is on the wall and it's normally just a matter of time before it's over. A lot of vets don't care to go through the bomb runs and/or defending in basic figs for the last 10 minutes and will go check their email or troll the forums instead.
Terran wrote:QUOTE (Terran @ Jan 20 2011, 03:56 PM) i'm like adept
Broodwich wrote:QUOTE (Broodwich @ Jun 6 2010, 10:19 PM) if you spent as much time in game as trollin sf might not be dead
Terran

Post by Terran »

the better vets who join lategame do so to turn around a game that is almost surely lost... that is always the most fun
JimmyNighthawk wrote:QUOTE (JimmyNighthawk @ Jun 30 2013, 11:32 PM) "Bavarian Sausage Anti-Ketchup Soap"[*]
vogue

Post by vogue »

I dont join at the beginning because the teams are too small and it'd be far too easy to take advantage of that by just flying a scout past your cons and soloing a miner.
phoenix1 wrote:QUOTE (phoenix1 @ May 5 2013, 08:35 PM) Vogue is clearly #1 and commanding against him feels like commanding against Spideycw at times... though he lacks that little bit of "I don't care who's on my team or what the factions are, it's going to be a stomp anyways" that Spidey managed to pull off in his heyday.
Alien51

Post by Alien51 »

Why can't drones rip to teleport probes; and would it be a code change to make it so they can?

How do you build cons through the chat?

Can you select what to ripcord to if there are multiple receivers or carriers in a sector?

Post by TheAlaskan »

Icky wrote:QUOTE (Icky @ Mar 22 2012, 09:36 AM) Because the beginning and end are typically the most boring parts of the game.

Openings are almost always take scouts, drop probes, find alephs, maybe d miners just in case someone rushes.
Many share this attitude, but they don't understand that being a good scout in the opening can really help your team's chances as other players join up. Being one of a handful of scouts on each team means cons are less protected. If you can get to the choke early enough, you can spot their con coming in and likely prox a scout first, then the con. Then you solo the con.

You've then given your team a decisive advantage as players join and apply more pressure.

All you other guys can sit out till heavies are up -- I'll enjoy the boosted drone kill stats.
Last edited by TheAlaskan on Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terran

Post by Terran »

alien finally posting in the right thread :D
JimmyNighthawk wrote:QUOTE (JimmyNighthawk @ Jun 30 2013, 11:32 PM) "Bavarian Sausage Anti-Ketchup Soap"[*]
fwiffo

Post by fwiffo »

terran, this is a protected section of the forum:
notjarvis wrote:QUOTE (notjarvis @ Mar 22 2012, 01:40 AM) Questions you can't ask in game or in the general forums without fear of ridicule.
alien:

Why can't drones rip to teleport probes; and would it be a code change to make it so they can?

they arent designed that way. dont know, probably. nobody would support that change.

How do you build cons through the chat?

you mean while you are in a diff sector? you cant unless the con has only one choice of rock to build on. ie. ur sending an exp con to a sector with exp rock (autobuild) you cant do the same w/ tp or op (multiple choices)
* maybe theres a way if you know the name of the asteroid you want to build on but i never bothered to figure out how...

Can you select what to ripcord to if there are multiple receivers or carriers in a sector?

1. if tele and carrier are in same sector, then no. you always default to tele.
2. if multiple teles, just select the tele (or a rock or aleph near that tele) u want to rip to, then hit ripcord for in sector rip to that tele
3. if multiple carriers, i imagine this works the same as #2... although i hadnt had the occasion to try this out.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
A Spathi's Axiom for Survival: "The only brave Spathi is a dead Spathi. RUN YOU FOOLS!"