Scout Drones

Development areas for Allegiance core (IGC) design.
Filippe

Post by Filippe »

What about if you could construct a Scout drone which has a huge scan range for early game (3 kilometers at first thought) and it will automatically get out to search for alephs, tech rocks and patrol neutral sectors in search of enemy rip.Also ramming on enemy cons and miners if found (would cause the same damage of a scout ramming)
It will need to be programmed to run in a triangule shape and rip home if its shields are dead,bad atribute? half hull, speed, double shield and signature of a not upgraded scout of the chosen faction.
They could be useful for a quick snap of an enemy controlled sector,scouting for 1v1 etc.
I know this could be useful as Transport ship is in cc_14 :P , but i wanted to know what the community thinks of my idea
"Nothing is Impossible"
pkk

Post by pkk »

Moving this to core section, no code change required...
The Escapist (Justin Emerson) @ Dec 21 2010, 02:33 PM:
The history of open-source Allegiance is paved with the bodies of dead code branches, forum flame wars, and personal vendettas. But a community remains because people still love the game.
cashto

Post by cashto »

But then what would newbies do?

Scout drones are present in some cores. They're not terribly useful. They require total micromanagement, like a miner only stupider. They always have shields and missles up, so they're not very stealthy. They also won't prox enemies chasing after them. Since those are the two chief ways that scouts stay alive, they have approximately the same lifespan as your baby sister's pet goldfish.

The problem with making them more useful is that they would then be bad for gameplay. Imagine sneaking one of these babies into an enemy sector uneyed. It'd basically be a movable EWS probe 9000. You should at least have to give up a player to have that sort of perfect intel on the enemy. (Hint hint).
Globemaster_III wrote:QUOTE (Globemaster_III @ Jan 11 2018, 11:27 PM) as you know i think very little of cashto, cashto alway a flying low pilot, he alway flying a trainer airplane and he rented
CindySRM

Post by CindySRM »

You want to out source getting podded by me to robots? Those are perfectly good pod rides that could be taken by humans instead -_-

But i don't think scout drones are really necessary. Imo they shouldn't add something to a core just in case a 1v1 takes place, in bigger games people would get scout drones and the whole game is likely to turn into entire teams flying their ints around in circles chasing the other teams scout drones. That's kind of counter productive to the goal of having more good games. Just what i think though.
Last edited by CindySRM on Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FreeBeer wrote:QUOTE (FreeBeer @ Oct 12 2011, 07:25 PM) You cockpit tease, you! :P
Adaven

Post by Adaven »

It sounds like what you are really asking for are AI players, which I agree would be good to fill in the ranks on smaller games.