allegiance from the command line

Catch-all for all development not having a specific forum.
fwiffo

Post by fwiffo »

i mean not as a pilot but purely from a commander's perspective. obviously as a comm, you wont be able to undock to nan miners...

interface simple as possible.

m = draw ascii art map representation of the minimap
s <arg> = concise info on sector <arg>, incl distances to various pts of interest

have some shortcuts/commands to:

- query for distances btwn objects. ie. how far is nearest enemy to my tp con?
- find out if a sector has "enough" probes, can rough estimate by figuring out the ratio between the scan area of the probes in the sector divided by area of the polygon created by connecting the alephs

i think i can just produce some output text of a sample game to illustrate...

just wanted to see if it was even remotely possible to interface w/ the game to allow input by typing... like telnet or something.
Last edited by fwiffo on Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
A Spathi's Axiom for Survival: "The only brave Spathi is a dead Spathi. RUN YOU FOOLS!"
Makida

Post by Makida »

fwiffo

Post by fwiffo »

haha yea something like that... consider it a stepping stone to commander ai. or even web based commanding :)
A Spathi's Axiom for Survival: "The only brave Spathi is a dead Spathi. RUN YOU FOOLS!"
Makida

Post by Makida »

fwiffo wrote:QUOTE (fwiffo @ Jan 12 2012, 07:46 PM) consider it a stepping stone to commander ai. or even web based commanding :)
Ooh, that's actually quite exciting. :)
Last edited by Makida on Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spunkmeyer

Post by Spunkmeyer »

AI Commander is not a top priority (or even very desirable, except for testing/balancing performance) for me, but Commander AI is.

Commander AI provides the (human) commander with commentary and "smart data" to free the commander to, you know, command.

The number of probes in sector report is an interesting example. But Commander AI could go beyond that, and use fuzzy logic or similar to comment on the effectiveness of the probe distribution as well. It could provide advance warnings when a large amount of probes are about to expire.

It's not exactly a GOOD example however because you have to be careful with this kind of thing and not baby the commander too much - after all situational awareness, or lack of, is what enables powerful attacks. Distractions should work and not be tripped by some AI piping up to warn the otherwise clueless commander. A distinction should be made not to assist with tactical/strategic tasks but rather menial work.

A better example would be a report on what your team is up to at a given time. For example, commander AI could compute a metric for how rapidly your team can respond to a surprise attack. It can take into account things like number of ripcord capable ships out there, closeness of teles to bases, people in pods, even use the probe quality report from the previous example (and otherwise not make that report directly available to the commander). So at a glance, you can see if your team is too dispersed to respond and warn them accordingly.

As the underlying intelligence is developed, one can tweak over time as to how and if to make various reports available.

Want bigger games? Log on to play at the official game time: 9pmET/8pmCT/7pmMT/6pmPT every day of the week. Also Saturdays 8pm UTC.

Makida

Post by Makida »

Spunkmeyer wrote:QUOTE (Spunkmeyer @ Jan 12 2012, 09:02 PM) Commander AI provides the (human) commander with commentary and "smart data" to free the commander to, you know, command.
Two weeks later...

HSharp

Post by HSharp »

fwiffo wrote:QUOTE (fwiffo @ Jan 12 2012, 11:51 PM) have some shortcuts/commands to:

- query for distances btwn objects. ie. how far is nearest enemy to my tp con?
- find out if a sector has "enough" probes, can rough estimate by figuring out the ratio between the scan area of the probes in the sector divided by area of the polygon created by connecting the alephs
I was thinking similar things, also in regards to probes I was thinking to simulate a sphere around each He3 rock as well and seeing how much of that is covered so then seeing sector probe saturation you also get coverage of He3 rocks and alephs (stuff that you need probed)

Web Based Commanding sounds interesting but way more advanced. I am quite interested in Commander AI it's just seeing what data can be mined from the game while it's running. I wish Datamine didn't just vanish :(

Think it's possible to do an ASCII sector view? That's going to be the hardest thing but you do need the visualisation especially for stuff like op and tp placement for a web commander, unless you just get people to learn to read the data and visualise it themselves, won't need that for an AI though.
fwiffo

Post by fwiffo »

i was thinkin sector ascii view wouldnt be nec if you might be presented with some pertinent info like (like you say visualize)

- how close the enemy aleph is to your base or he rocks
- distance btwn bases if sector is shared btwn the two teams

i try to imagine the list of considerations i go through when i decide where to place my op in the sector:

- is there an enemy in adjacent sector?
- is the op too close to enemy aleph (easily bombed vs easy to attack their miners)
- is it close to the other he rocks
- is it close to a tech rock?

so a sector view command might answer these things and just list some basic data that you can check out at a glance and make a quick decision.

oh yea... and if magically this thing could be realized in command line... making it work over a webpage is really not all that hard
making it possible to play from work :) and not be relegated to just trolling the forum for new posts or watching the number of players online (that wont be there when you get off work)
Last edited by fwiffo on Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
raumvogel

Post by raumvogel »

Spunkmeyer wrote:QUOTE (Spunkmeyer @ Jan 12 2012, 09:02 PM) AI Commander is not a top priority (or even very desirable, except for testing/balancing performance) for me, but Commander AI is.

Commander AI provides the (human) commander with commentary and "smart data" to free the commander to, you know, command.

The number of probes in sector report is an interesting example. But Commander AI could go beyond that, and use fuzzy logic or similar to comment on the effectiveness of the probe distribution as well. It could provide advance warnings when a large amount of probes are about to expire.

It's not exactly a GOOD example however because you have to be careful with this kind of thing and not baby the commander too much - after all situational awareness, or lack of, is what enables powerful attacks. Distractions should work and not be tripped by some AI piping up to warn the otherwise clueless commander. A distinction should be made not to assist with tactical/strategic tasks but rather menial work.

A better example would be a report on what your team is up to at a given time. For example, commander AI could compute a metric for how rapidly your team can respond to a surprise attack. It can take into account things like number of ripcord capable ships out there, closeness of teles to bases, people in pods, even use the probe quality report from the previous example (and otherwise not make that report directly available to the commander). So at a glance, you can see if your team is too dispersed to respond and warn them accordingly.

As the underlying intelligence is developed, one can tweak over time as to how and if to make various reports available.
This is a fantastic idea. If it could be implemented it would make commanding WAY more exiting for them even when they lose. Also, if we could find a way to flash on the players screen when a comm delegates a task to a specific player, then the comm wouldn't worry about whether they read the chat before it scrolled up. I may be asking too much, though. :blush:
KGJV

Post by KGJV »

if you know a scripting language (javascript, python, vbscript, perl, etc) you can already implement this in Allegiance...

all you need is latest R6 and configure the Pigs system. then start creating your 'Commander AI' pig (or even an 'AI Commander' one)

The pig could send feedback using the chat (something like 'no probes in sector X') and you could send command to the pig using chat too, such as PMing the pig with 'check sector X' , etc

the 'pig' can also fly and control any ship and could be used to patrol or deploy probe or scout for undiscovered part of the map, whatever.

actually, almost anything a player can do, a pig can do it too providing someone write a script to do that...

I'm actually working on embedding this scripting system directly into the server to get ride of the complexity and oddness of the current pig system. I'll update my progress within a few weeks. http://faz.codeplex.com/ is the place where this will happen, it's the main hub for anything I do now. But meanwhile R6 pigs are already working. Check the documentation here.