Carriers

From the Dark Nebula, a new star is born.
Ozricosis

Post by Ozricosis »

Carriers used to be SY tech. They used to require a pilot. Now, with all the games being very small, they are grossly overpowered.

Carriers and quickfires grant skill to the unskilled. Remove them now. Thanks.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
Psychosis

Post by Psychosis »

Ozricosis wrote:QUOTE (Ozricosis @ Oct 17 2011, 03:51 PM) Carriers used to be SY tech. They used to require a pilot. Now, with all the games being very small, they are grossly overpowered.

Carriers and quickfires grant skill to the unskilled. Remove them now. Thanks.
removing carriers would radically alter gameplay, would be interesting
NightRychune

Post by NightRychune »

well, carrier drones have been a thing for a very very very long time

and i actually nerfed basic carrier drones some in 06 (but nobody plays that version because they cry about shields and it's not on planet)

as for the quickfires/skill thing, yeah, that's true, unfortunately the only way to deliver a completely level playing field in allegiance would be to make everything like ints - high speed, all guns, no missiles at all.
sfx_offender

Post by sfx_offender »

imo its more belter carriers specifically. Fignans are 1337 w/ carriers.
Ozricosis

Post by Ozricosis »

Make them SY enabled at least. in a 5v5 it's just pointless to even log into the game.

Quickfires are not original Allegiance. Same with Carrier Drones. Bleh.

small games suck.
Last edited by Ozricosis on Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
NightRychune

Post by NightRychune »

it's just a small game thing more than anything, i'm afraid

and even outside of small games people seem to have forgotten how to play the game as a team and work together to win the game. both of those are inherent game problems and I can't change either of them with balance changes!
pkk

Post by pkk »

NightRychune wrote:QUOTE (NightRychune @ Oct 17 2011, 11:07 PM) well, carrier drones have been a thing for a very very very long time
These kind of Carrier were introduced with DN 00.00.04 (2004/02/17), before we had such kind of carriers, you had to research them in SY (and they didn't act as ripcord)...

QUOTE (Noir)Carriers:
---------

The old Carrier Drones are now researched and available in the Garrison. They now also act as Teleports (SmallRip) for Scouts, Fighters & Giga Lxy Ships. Bios can immediately construct Light Carrier Drones which cannot teleport until standard Carriers Drones are researched. Once a Carrier Drone is constructed, it can not dock for repairs or upgrades without a Shipyard. (See Statistics below)

The new Attack Carrier Ships are researched and available in the Shipyard. They are like Carrier Drones with Large Shields, but must be piloted (gun/missiles/mines) and can have 2 gunners. (See Statistics below)

These changes should make Carriers more useful and create more combat activity and tactics.

These will remain available for all factions in the final core.[/quote]
The Escapist (Justin Emerson) @ Dec 21 2010, 02:33 PM:
The history of open-source Allegiance is paved with the bodies of dead code branches, forum flame wars, and personal vendettas. But a community remains because people still love the game.
NightRychune

Post by NightRychune »

Right, I knew they weren't like that in the original ms cores, which is why I only said "they've been around for a very long time" :P
Dorjan

Post by Dorjan »

the shipyard button has always been the small game/large game button. So many tie the carriers to that again? (Not needing a shipyard, but needing shipyard to be on)
I decided to relive the days gone by in my new blog.
---
Remember, what I say is IMO always. If I say that something sucks, it actually means "I think it sucks" OK?
Cookie Monster wrote:QUOTE (Cookie Monster @ Jan 31 2012, 03:09 PM) True story.

Except the big about dorjan being jelly, that's just spidey's ego.
ImageImage
Youngmoose

Post by Youngmoose »

A way to solve this would be to add sy switch that would time on after 30-60-90 min. Then tie whatever tech you want to sy. This would solve 2 gameplay issues.

1) It could potentially eliminate uber cheese tech in small games. How would it be to play a 5v5 and know that bombers or carriers wont be used for 30 min?

2) It gives a team with map control more options to kill a turtled team.

I like sy, and I like bombing. But not in the first 5 min of any game
Join the Dark Side. We have beer. And chocolate milk.
Image Image