Where is XC07..?

From the Dark Nebula, a new star is born.
JimmyNighthawk

Post by JimmyNighthawk »

Where is the next core evolvement?
Beschenkt die Starken!
Schröpft die Schwachen,
und die Armen schlagt ans Kreuz!

Wir hängen nicht am Leben,
doch an einem Traum!
NightRychune

Post by NightRychune »

i don't have enough/much data/feedback on 06 yet aside from a few minor notes, and beyond that i'm probably not going to be too concerned with working on the next version until the tournament is closer to being over
JimmyNighthawk

Post by JimmyNighthawk »

Good points.

Here "enough/much data/feedback" on 06: "--We all lack the refineries which grant us credits every payday," she talks while lurking behind.
Beschenkt die Starken!
Schröpft die Schwachen,
und die Armen schlagt ans Kreuz!

Wir hängen nicht am Leben,
doch an einem Traum!
Clay_Pigeon

Post by Clay_Pigeon »

Frankly, I haven't seen XC06 played a lot. I believe yesterday was the first time I was ever in the game with it. You might have to get XC05 yanked
"Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." -2 Cor 12:9
"Never know how long I've waited, anticipated your smile pressed against mine." -Running
Terran

Post by Terran »

xc06 was played frequently when it just came out, but people got quickly fed up with mini1 tf scouts iirc and some other issues that i can't recall right away.
JimmyNighthawk wrote:QUOTE (JimmyNighthawk @ Jun 30 2013, 11:32 PM) "Bavarian Sausage Anti-Ketchup Soap"[*]
NightRychune

Post by NightRychune »

but minigun scouts are the $#@!in best
BillyBishop

Post by BillyBishop »

Clay_Pigeon wrote:QUOTE (Clay_Pigeon @ Oct 5 2011, 11:18 PM) Frankly, I haven't seen XC06 played a lot. I believe yesterday was the first time I was ever in the game with it. You might have to get XC05 yanked
That won't help, people will just play CC then. XC06 has some issues many people hate, among which are the mg tf scouts and the economy changes. Maybe a mini update combined with rollbacks of the things that people find reason not to play XC06?
NightRychune

Post by NightRychune »

the economy changes are seriously a really really really good thing, capacity based economic balancing is really bad. there's literally no reason why a faction should always get 25-35% more money than any other faction by default. that @#(! breaks the game more than anything else. unfortunately most people don't/can't understand why because they don't really grasp how the economic portion of the game works (which is also why there are almost no really good commanders left!)

and no i'm not going to release another version before the tournament is completely over (in december!) because it would just be a waste of time.

@#(! it's probably a waste of time anyway because trying to balance around the lowest common denominator (which is what people want, because that's all that's really left that frequently plays the game) is an effort in futility beyond dicking around and adding a bunch of overpowered @#(! that people can go fly around with, feel uber when they're raping with it, and then make angsty forum posts about when they get owned by it
Last edited by NightRychune on Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
DasSmiter

Post by DasSmiter »

I'll just release a balanced core he said...
ImageImageImage
Get over yourselves, don't try to win arguments on the internet where the option of a punch in the mouth is unavailable
"It is not that I cannot create anything good, but that I will not." And to prove this, he created the peacock.
Nightflame

Post by Nightflame »

NightRychune wrote:QUOTE (NightRychune @ Oct 6 2011, 02:29 AM) the economy changes are seriously a really really really good thing, capacity based economic balancing is really bad.

Can't argue that. The effects of capacity vary widely based on the map and settings. It's silly to have a balance factor that can be changed heavily based on the settings screen.

QUOTE there's literally no reason why a faction should always get 25-35% more money than any other faction by default. that @#(! breaks the game more than anything else. unfortunately most people don't/can't understand why because they don't really grasp how the economic portion of the game works (which is also why there are almost no really good commanders left!)[/quote]
Wha? There are two factions that have he yield different IIRC. Belters and dreg. Actually, a glance at the igc shows that you messed with OH yeild in xc05 for some reason, but lets ignore that for now. Belters have expensive tech to offset their yield. They have relatively cheap ships (drones, research, and player) and bases. Yet you don't consider this to be a problem clearly. You wouldn't have left their cheap base and ships costs alone if you did. What then is the problem with balancing the income of a faction (through yield) instead of everything else in the faction? You don't seem to have a problem with cheap bases or whatnot (also see giga), so is the yield balance just to make factions easier to compare? It certainly isn't an irreparable balance problem. Just look at dreg. They have expensive research AND expensive bases to offset their yield. All they get is effectively cheaper playerships and caltrops/towers as far as I can tell. The playerships aren't a problem (see IC), so are cheap caltrops wrecking balance? Somehow, I don't think so.

QUOTE and no i'm not going to release another version before the tournament is completely over (in december!) because it would just be a waste of time.

@#(! it's probably a waste of time anyway because trying to balance around the lowest common denominator (which is what people want, because that's all that's really left that frequently plays the game) is an effort in futility beyond dicking around and adding a bunch of overpowered @#(! that people can go fly around with, feel uber when they're raping with it, and then make angsty forum posts about when they get owned by it[/quote]
Really, it's no wonder you make boneheaded decisions. The majority of players play for a fun PUG. Squaddie lunatics like you that care only about winning and games being perfectly even come out of the PUG group. Further, no squad will play a core for squad games that they don't know. If no one will play a core in PUGs, no one will play it in squad games either.

The first priority of a core is to be FUN. Balance is a bonus that can make the game more fun. If you don't listen to your players when they say a core is not fun, you will lose your players.

Now, why is xc06 a failure?
1) It's different. Wildly different. SS regen, econs, faction balance changes, yadda yadda. People don't like big changes much.
2) It doesn't appear to be tested enough. Either factions were reasonably balanced in xc05 or xc06. Not both. It will take a while for players to learn the new balance.
3) TF scouts are broken. Actually, some other things are probably broken as well, but no one is going to play it to find out. Not while it has blatant imbalance.

So, what can you do to make xc07 popular? Nerf TF scouts. Test. Nerf and buff some more. Test. Nerf and buff some more. Test. By 'Test' I don't mean play with the best int pilots in XC. I mean play with a more normal PUG group. SS regen isn't a big deal for two people with 90% accuracy attacking the same player. SS regen is really painful for one guy that misses half the time. Remember that the game has to be fun for players below (15) as well.
cashto wrote:QUOTE (cashto @ Feb 27 2012, 01:40 AM) The big brass balls award goes to Nightflame for mutinying spidey (and succeeding).