Call for volunteers: merging Allegiance into FS2

Catch-all for all development not having a specific forum.
jbansk

Post by jbansk »

Imago wrote:QUOTE (Imago @ Aug 8 2011, 04:36 PM) Oi. What kind of anti-cheat does it have?
ASGS
[15:25] <BBT_> oh, so da vinci's mona lisa isn't his work?
[15:25] <+fuh-zz> No, he simply put effort into it.
[15:25] <BBT_> are you really that retarded?
SP4WN

Post by SP4WN »

KGJV wrote:QUOTE (KGJV @ Aug 8 2011, 06:10 PM) I like forum softwares where you can rank & hide posts (like youtube comments).

Also a forum software that allows the OP to be a 'collapsing/highlighting moderator' of his thread would be nice: that is when you create a thread (a topic) than you're allowed as OP to 'hide' the replies you don't like or highlight these you like. Hidden replies are not deleted, just collapsed to 1 line, so people can still see them by clicking on them. This allows the OP to actually manage the look of his thread by highlighting important replies and hide spam/troll stuff.
I don't know if that feature exists in free forums software but that would rock to have.I have used one in an internal forums, it's very delicious to be able to moderate your own threads.
I find the standard 'moderators' stuff very old and cumbersome and more a pain for moderators actually. Systems that let the readers and posters auto moderate the content require less management and are more democratic.

Also a system that use existing accounts (google, yahoo, whatever) instead of having to register YET ANOTHER account would be nice.

But your choice, really. Check with Matt what he'd like.

After researching I haven't been able to find what your after, unfortunately most of the collapse systems for threads are based on a public rating system. Most likely something you have seen on various social sites or forums.

That being said, I have been doing some digging that would allow me to mod a couple of forum software systems to allow the user who created the thread/topic, to moderate their own thread. For example removing posts they are not happy with in their thread, editing them, locking it, or whatever.

As for the SSO(Single sign on) system there are various mods that can be implemented if we go with one of the mainstream forum software packages.
BackTrak

Post by BackTrak »

SP4WN wrote:QUOTE (SP4WN @ Aug 8 2011, 04:56 PM) After researching I haven't been able to find what your after, unfortunately most of the collapse systems for threads are based on a public rating system. Most likely something you have seen on various social sites or forums.

That being said, I have been doing some digging that would allow me to mod a couple of forum software systems to allow the user who created the thread/topic, to moderate their own thread. For example removing posts they are not happy with in their thread, editing them, locking it, or whatever.

As for the SSO(Single sign on) system there are various mods that can be implemented if we go with one of the mainstream forum software packages.
Would it be easier to host on code.google.com? It might not be everything you want out of the box, but it may be good enough. (and get version control, etc available right away).
ImageImage
sambasti

Post by sambasti »

I'm gone the rest of this week. Afterwards, I can help with the forum setup (if help is still needed).
MrChaos

Post by MrChaos »

n/m serious business means joking is not allowed. I'm moving along ;)
Last edited by MrChaos on Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ssssh
SP4WN

Post by SP4WN »

Bump, you've had a week compadre's.

How are we getting on?
KGJV

Post by KGJV »

Well no news from FAO (According to Juckto's post, the request was made the 3rd, 12 days ago...). Any ZL listening here ?

SP4WN, if FAO is still no go then I guess we wait for Matt to give the green light and you can host. Don't bother too much about which forum software, the features I highlighted were only my wishes nothing more.

BT, code.google.com is great to host code projects (ICE is hosted there) but it doesn't have a 'forum' feature. 'Google Groups' offers that but it's more a web frontend to a mailing list system than a solid forum system.
pkk

Post by pkk »

KGJV wrote:QUOTE (KGJV @ Aug 15 2011, 11:47 PM) Well no news from FAO (According to Juckto's post , the request was made the 3rd, 12 days ago...). Any ZL listening here ?
We can't create subforums, only TE and TB can... There is already a two week old topic in administrative requests, to create such a forum.
The Escapist (Justin Emerson) @ Dec 21 2010, 02:33 PM:
The history of open-source Allegiance is paved with the bodies of dead code branches, forum flame wars, and personal vendettas. But a community remains because people still love the game.
Raveen

Post by Raveen »

FWIW I've suggested that the ZLs appoint another person as top level forum admin to help out when TE and TB are unavailable (as seems to be the case now). Of course, to get that done we need TE or TB to be available...

And yes, the subforum request was made ages ago and if there was anything more I could do to get it done then I'd do it.
ImageImage
Spidey: Can't think of a reason I'd need to know anything
SP4WN

Post by SP4WN »

Well I saw the rounds were done today and there was no reply about the forum, so I got bored and set one up.

I chose SMF due to its large mainstream support, its ability to bridge with pretty much anything down the road if needed and its integration with OpenID as standard.

The site is currently Here however if you wish to purchas a domain and redirect it there, feel free. :)