Call for volunteers: merging Allegiance into FS2

Catch-all for all development not having a specific forum.
KGJV

Post by KGJV »

ok everyone, we're not wanted here or blatantly ignored which is the same.

so we have moved to http://thegamersoffice.com/AFSMOD.

It's sad and will probably not help Allegiance but it wasn't our call.

As of today I really really don't understand FAO admins, seems like they live in another world.

Oh well no point wasting more time here, so anyone willing to help us just go to the new forum.

To PKK: I'm moving ALL my other dev stuff from here too (ICE, Pigs, R6/CSS integration, whatever). I won't commit anymore changes to the SVN, you'll have to get my changes from codeplex if you want them.

so long & good luck
jbansk

Post by jbansk »

KGJV wrote:QUOTE (KGJV @ Aug 19 2011, 05:37 PM) As of today I really really don't understand FAO admins
You must be the slowest kid on the block.
[15:25] <BBT_> oh, so da vinci's mona lisa isn't his work?
[15:25] <+fuh-zz> No, he simply put effort into it.
[15:25] <BBT_> are you really that retarded?
lexaal

Post by lexaal »

You could invade the quantus forum until you get your own. Or at least give writing rights to unregistered, cause i am too old and lazy to register on another forum.

My prediction right now is that you will suffer the same death... You have very many people writing features, maybe one or two who are able to transfer them to something structured like a requirement list and probably 0.5 people (+2 willing to learn) who actually transform the wishlists into written code.
I have a johnson photo in my profile since 2010.
FIZ

Post by FIZ »

Stumbling upon this forum is like waking up in a wet dream.

I'm pretty basic at coding, had a FRED campaign going along nicely until I touched one table and didn't update another and it went poop.

I'm terrible at networking, have limited time to assist, but this is thread gives me the chills like I can only imagine Kennedy announcing we are going to the moon.

I know the biggest limitation in SCP is variables, which Allegiance needs a metric @#(! ton of. I do not think this will work with scripts as they are, as scripts tend to need to be pre-loaded. That will not work with Allegiance, the actions are too dynamic. Scripts are great for single player but easy to break in multiplayer.

On the Allegiance side, the aleph system never made that much logical sense to begin with. It was a work around to deal with the fact that space is infinite. We would have to at least to get a feasible goal for the beta have to abandon the aleph 'egg' system. And we may have to give up turret gunners... I seem to think their was one mod where you could turret but bombers would essentially have to become pilot-turret-less. Capships would need to stay AI controlled at first but 'The Blade Itself' was rather impressive.

Ripcording would be a big issue as well, a lot of FREDders use 2 missions to simulate a jump.

If FSO modder Ransom Arceihn was interested... well I've seen what he's done using loopholes and scripting tricks... we could at least get one hell of a solid concept going.

I'm interested.
KGJV

Post by KGJV »

I've edited my original post to inform newcomers about our new forum for this project. Sorry for the delay , I sometimes forgot new people don't read the whole 7 pages of this topic.
FIZ

Post by FIZ »

^^==)
SP4WN

Post by SP4WN »

Unfortunately Lexaal, giving open writing permissions is asking to get hit off spammers.

Hopefully something for guests will be implemented in the future. However if you want to contribute I would urge you to sign up. :)
hunkyhoney

Post by hunkyhoney »

OH HI!!!
yes maybe i should have posted here...

i am... a programming maniac :P
i've got 0 experience with FS2, never even heard of it before today lol.

languages that i can program in:
web:
php, html, xml, css, javascript, you name it *no java*
pc:
C++, C#, VB.net, Lua Script

yeah pretty much any language, you name it, i can do it.

C# is my fav,
and i only program c++ win32(native), none of that C++ .net crap, cause you might as well use C# at that point.

and i LOVEEEE typo's and E-talk crap.
Last edited by hunkyhoney on Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KGJV

Post by KGJV »

Well this project is current on hold till Matt gives sign of life.

But your expertise could probably be used elsewhere. Talk with Pkk or BackTrack they might have something for you.

I do hope you have a thick skin and infinite patience if you wanna code for this community :iluv:

if you show real expertise and motivation I might have something more fun for you later but I need to know who i'm dealing with 1st.
Last edited by KGJV on Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fuzzylunkin1

Post by fuzzylunkin1 »

FIZ wrote:QUOTE (FIZ @ Aug 21 2011, 11:46 PM) On the Allegiance side, the aleph system never made that much logical sense to begin with. It was a work around to deal with the fact that space is infinite. We would have to at least to get a feasible goal for the beta have to abandon the aleph 'egg' system.
Haven't read the whole thread, but this jumped out at me.

If you ask me the aleph "chokepoint" system is one of the main mechanics of Allegiance gameplay. It is a bit silly, if you think about it enough, so another way to accomplish the same thing would be preferable IMO.

But anyway, very cool idea, I'd be interested.