Gigacorp

From the Dark Nebula, a new star is born.
NightRychune

Post by NightRychune »

these are my notes as of right now (more like a month ago) for gigacorp

Code: Select all

Gigacorp:
        Gigacorp no longer begins the game with enhanced constructors.
        Gigacorp now begins the game with patrollers.
        General Changes:
            Faction Attributes:
                Payday modifier reduced to 0 [+.25]
                Starting money modifier reduced to 0 [+.25]
                He3 Capacity reduced to 1 [1.25]
                He3 Speed increased to 1.2 [1]
                Station Hull modifier reduced to 1 [1.1]
                Station Shield Modifier reduced to 1 [1.1]

Garrison:
            Spec mines (Ca, Ur, Si):
                Disabled.
            Patrollers:
                Scale increased to 14.55 [13.22]
            Newly available:
                Gigacorp can now purchase an upgrade in Garrison for 7,500 credits that upgrades all existing and future light bases into minor bases which do not generate income.
        Expansion:
            Lxy Interceptors:
                Lead indicator removed.
        Supremacy:
            Lxy Fighters:
                Lead indicator removed.
        Tactical:
            Lxy Stealth Fighters:
                Medium shields removed.
                Rip time reduced to 12 seconds [15]
what i'd probably most like to do is just get rid of the base payday mechanic (although it will return elsewhere in the near future) as well as the light base mechanic. It's kind of a big gigacorp thing, but seriously as everyone knows it is such an enormous pain in the ass to balance at all, and Giga has always sat at either "lol we have so much money we're unstoppable" or "what the $#@! we can't do anything," and there's never been any middle ground. It's completely irrelevant in smaller games because teams don't have enough people to kill them in a reasonable amount of time, and in larger games Giga gets steamrolled as soon as a team gets dis2/df2 enh figs, and often will just turtle in 2-3 sectors with 1 spec ref for an hour while they payday @#(!, which is really irritating to try and deal with. I could keep the current design, but I think the nature of light bases has proven itself over a long enough period of time to be a kind of cool idea that doesn't work very well in practice.

It would leave Giga as a faction with a pretty good early-midgame and Giga would be able to expand very efficiently, but wouldn't have any tech cost advantages. Patties are somewhat hard to hit atm, but the fact that they're really really good is kind of justified by the fact that you have to pay 7.5k off the bat in order to make use of them at all. pretty sure I'd have to nerf them some degree if they were free.

blah blah homogenizing factions, $#@! you, etc. I can just as easily nerf giga into the ground and it can go back to never getting played very much, but I like having every faction being worthwhile to play, and certainly far more interesting than having two or three factions to choose from if you REALLY want to win a game.
Last edited by NightRychune on Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Broodwich

Post by Broodwich »

i would just half the giga paydays but keep the specs in
giga has, and always will be,a pita to balace because of its horrible large game perfomace (one game we dis 1ed down a giga tele with ic scouts) and retarded small game performace think nuke amd jimmy latenight.
I really think it should be payday nerf a lot if not completely gone for giga and have them rely on small base paydays if you are going to keep the mechanic of small base paydays
QUOTE Drizzo: ha ha good old chap
Drizzo: i am a brit
Drizzo: tut tut
Drizzo: wankarrrrrr
Drizzo: i only have sex whilst in the missionary position[/quote] Fas est et ab hoste doceri - Ovid
Shizoku

Post by Shizoku »

I'm glad to see specs go.
Clay_Pigeon

Post by Clay_Pigeon »

I like a lot of these changes, especially getting rid of specmines.

QUOTE giga has, and always will be,a pita to balace because of its horrible large game perfomace (one game we dis 1ed down a giga tele with ic scouts) and retarded small game performace think nuke amd jimmy latenight.[/quote]

I can't believe I'm actually saying this, but Jimmy made a suggestion that may help balance Giga for larger games -- Under starbase, make it possible to research standard outposts and tele receivers. I really haven't thought this through, and my God, Jimmy made the suggestion. However, I want to throw it out there.
"Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." -2 Cor 12:9
"Never know how long I've waited, anticipated your smile pressed against mine." -Running
DonKarnage

Post by DonKarnage »

Hmm, research to upgrade bases from Lt to Std?
That's an interesting idea, can it be done without any issues?
It would definitely cause some aggravation if a commander partialed the tech to the last second and activated it right before the enemy succeed in dissing down a base.
Can it be made so only newly built constructors are the upgraded bases? Otherwise, having current bases suddenly gain immunity, especially without any outward change in appearance would be annoying.
It is Karnage! Don Karnage! Roll the r!
Archer14

Post by Archer14 »

I like this new idea of std bases for Giga. But if you DO decide to go with it Night, then the Std bases shouldnt be allowed to give paydays. Only the Lt bases should give paydays and the Std bases should not, so basically if a commander wanted Std bases, he would have to consider the thought of losing the payday's in the future. Just my opinion.
ryjamsan wrote:QUOTE (ryjamsan @ Mar 1 2011, 07:07 PM) Spidey let it go, I have reformed MW and taken him under my wing:)
phoenix1 wrote:QUOTE (phoenix1 @ Nov 16 2014, 05:12 PM) I'll make sure to never make you a commander again :P
Drizzo

Post by Drizzo »

Broodwich wrote:QUOTE (Broodwich @ Jun 18 2011, 03:48 AM) giga has, and always will be,a pita to balace because of its horrible large game perfomace (one game we dis 1ed down a giga tele with ic scouts) and retarded small game performace think nuke amd jimmy latenight.
It might just be me, but I swear Vir just said exactly that.
cashto wrote:QUOTE (cashto @ Oct 16 2010, 02:48 AM) Interceptors are fun because without one, Drizzo would be physically incapable of entering a sector.
NightRychune

Post by NightRychune »

I've kicked around the lt bases being upgradable into std bases idea before, yeah. I really like the idea of giga keeping lt base paydays which can be upgraded, but they lose the paydays. there's some really nice risk vs reward play with that idea, and I could keep the cost of said development relatively low (in garrison for 5k or 7.5k or something) given that a giga team will lose money over time for buying it.
Archer14

Post by Archer14 »

Yeah, also that the already built lt bases are upgraded, just the new cons that are out become upgraded. That way they would keep some payday's until those bases are destroyed. One way of keeping Giga partially more balanced >.>
ryjamsan wrote:QUOTE (ryjamsan @ Mar 1 2011, 07:07 PM) Spidey let it go, I have reformed MW and taken him under my wing:)
phoenix1 wrote:QUOTE (phoenix1 @ Nov 16 2014, 05:12 PM) I'll make sure to never make you a commander again :P
TurkeyXIII

Post by TurkeyXIII »

Not sure if it can be done that way. If a station type can be overridden with another, all instances of it will be overridden as soon as the second type is available.
QUOTE (Randall Munroe)14.2: Turkey consumption rate of the average American in milligrams per minute[/quote]