Coring with ICE

Development areas for Allegiance core (IGC) design.
notjarvis

Post by notjarvis »

Go look at the source code then :)
http://code.google.com/p/allegice/source/checkout
:P
Jersy

Post by Jersy »

Source code? No way... Considering that I am already like ten years too early to even start fiddling with core stuff (given my level of in-game skill), even remotely thinking about code would be getting far too ahead of myself... I can't have that, and neither can the rest of the devs, who are probably quite used to the quiet daily routine, which would find itself ending rather abruptly, after I would tackle it with my third phase-1 enthusiasm ;-)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Link: Allegiance Stuff on "Jersy's Ultimate Blog of Concentrated Nerdiness"
Current stuff-count: 97
(Latest update: March 7th, 2011, in "Jers_Core Diary")

Stationed in CZECH REPUBLIC (link)
(GMT+1)
madpeople

Post by madpeople »

Jersy wrote:QUOTE (Jersy @ Feb 9 2011, 07:04 PM) neither can the rest of the devs, who are probably quite used to the quiet daily routine, which would find itself ending rather abruptly, after I would tackle it with my third phase-1 enthusiasm ;-)
Reading it does no harm but teaches you stuff. If you find something you think looks wrong you can ask for other's opinion, again that does no harm.
Jersy

Post by Jersy »

I probably will, one day. But so far, I have my eyes set on coring, and until THAT big project of mine is finished, I would like not to focus on anything else ;-)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(GMT+1)
Jersy

Post by Jersy »

Question:

It's about drones and their maximum amount. What part of ICE settings determine if the drone is affected by the "Maximum miners" settings? Is it based on the AI script used?

Can a non-constructor drone (carrier, for example) be set so it follows the maximum amount rules of a constructor (only one of the same type can be active)? If yes --> how?

EDIT:

I've done a tiny little experiment with trying to equip miners with boardable turrets... It didn't work, so I'm curious why... It would seem that a miner (and probably any other drone would do this as well) with a turret does not appear on the boarding screen...

The part I'm curious about is that essentialy, the miner is still a ship just like bomber, so when it's docked, any turrets it has should appear in the transfer screen...?

EDIT:

Also, I was experimenting with Wingmans - I duplicated the "Wingman" entry under "Drones" (simple rewrite from 7 to 100 did it) and good, at one moment I had 8 of them flying on my screen (two wingman entries).

However, when I tried to change the ship the duplicated wingman drone refers to (to Bios interceptor), the server crashed on me... Any clue as to what might be the cause?
Last edited by Jersy on Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

(GMT+1)
Sonic

Post by Sonic »

Jersy wrote:QUOTE (Jersy @ Feb 15 2011, 10:23 AM) Question:

It's about drones and their maximum amount. What part of ICE settings determine if the drone is affected by the "Maximum miners" settings? Is it based on the AI script used?

Can a non-constructor drone (carrier, for example) be set so it follows the maximum amount rules of a constructor (only one of the same type can be active)? If yes --> how?
EDIT:

I've done a tiny little experiment with trying to equip miners with boardable turrets... It didn't work, so I'm curious why... It would seem that a miner (and probably any other drone would do this as well) with a turret does not appear on the boarding screen...

The part I'm curious about is that essentialy, the miner is still a ship just like bomber, so when it's docked, any turrets it has should appear in the transfer screen...?
Yes it's a ship, but it's a drone. This is defined under Ships, and each entry has 3 checkboxes on the right-hand side, making it a miner, carrier or, constructor. You can't turret drones. Code thing. I don't know anything about the wingman though.
ImageImage
TurkeyXIII

Post by TurkeyXIII »

All drones have a maximum number defined by the max miners setting (R6 changed the name to 'max drones' to be more intuitive). The only difference between them is that one of the settings (I can't remember if is the AI script or the checkbox in the ship) allows it to contribute to the number of starting miners.

As Rock Raider said, turrets will only appear on ships that have players.

Drones have a lot of problems. The one thing I recall is that they can't use missiles or boosters. I wasn't aware equipping one could crash it, but it might.
QUOTE (Randall Munroe)14.2: Turkey consumption rate of the average American in milligrams per minute[/quote]
Jersy

Post by Jersy »

TurkeyXIII wrote:QUOTE (TurkeyXIII @ Feb 16 2011, 03:01 AM) Drones have a lot of problems. The one thing I recall is that they can't use missiles or boosters. I wasn't aware equipping one could crash it, but it might.
As for that, the problem doesn't seem to be either missiles or boosters - the ship used for the "wingman" drone is standart giga interceptor (the "Wingman" drone entry has Ship ID of giga "Interceptor" entry included). The problem arises when the ship the wingman drone refers to is changed.

Because the original giga int already has a some quite specific pres (faction, techbase) and it's still normally usable with IC, I wouldn't say the problem is predef related...

EDIT: It seems to be alright now - there probably was some problem with not shutting allegserver and game client down in between core changing. It all works fine now. I already had some Ballista drones destroy a few asteroids ;-)

UNRELATED:

I also found out that drones are incapable of reloading, even though it's automatic process in player-controlled ships...
Last edited by Jersy on Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

(GMT+1)
Dorjan

Post by Dorjan »

They also don't care about sig and will ram you.
I decided to relive the days gone by in my new blog.
---
Remember, what I say is IMO always. If I say that something sucks, it actually means "I think it sucks" OK?
Cookie Monster wrote:QUOTE (Cookie Monster @ Jan 31 2012, 03:09 PM) True story.

Except the big about dorjan being jelly, that's just spidey's ego.
ImageImage
Jersy

Post by Jersy »

I've been wondering while trying to do my 3FC, that it would be easier to just start from the scratch and do my own job with all the presdefs, rather then carefully editing and removing entries, looking what predef does what and stuff... Is there anything like "ProtoCore" - a working core file with nothing but the absolute essentials allowing the corer to just expand it according to his own will? :-P

(GMT+1)