Damage

A place to discuss user-created Allegiance 3D models, textures, images, and other visual ingame content.
Spinoza

Post by Spinoza »

Flying through some god forsaken sector, I noticed some old junk floating around.
Without hesitating, I ordered my AP:

Target ugly texture!

To be continued...

Some background on the story:
Hull hit sprites and shield effect
Image Image Image
Spinoza

Post by Spinoza »

This turned out to be a very silly task... these bits of hull are ridiculously tiny when flying off anything smaller than a carrier...
Still, here's the new texture which looks nice when you shoot a big ship, especially something like the new TF carrier:

Download link (includes the default, use at your own risk): Hull flake mod.rar

FYI, this is just 64x64, 9kb, so it shouldn't affect performance at all.
Of course, if you have performance issues, don't bother with this very minor modification.

More fancy stuff coming soon (this was just to delay working on harder textures).
Image Image Image
Dorjan

Post by Dorjan »

sometimes it's the little things that count :)
I decided to relive the days gone by in my new blog.
---
Remember, what I say is IMO always. If I say that something sucks, it actually means "I think it sucks" OK?
Cookie Monster wrote:QUOTE (Cookie Monster @ Jan 31 2012, 03:09 PM) True story.

Except the big about dorjan being jelly, that's just spidey's ego.
ImageImage
Spinoza

Post by Spinoza »

Dorjan wrote:QUOTE (Dorjan @ Feb 3 2011, 09:22 PM) sometimes it's the little things that count :)
It would be cool if Alleg had a smarter debris generator... but that would have the worst complexity/benefit ratio ever.

Episode two: Sparks in the Dark (working title) will be have more game impact...
Image Image Image
SpaceJunk

Post by SpaceJunk »

We could try to replace the chunk model for a small sphere slightly off center with a bright yellow texture, so it looks sort of like a spark (at least once someone gets Alleg to render emissive textures).

Then increase the number of sparks generated (code change).
Last edited by SpaceJunk on Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spinoza

Post by Spinoza »

SpaceJunk wrote:QUOTE (SpaceJunk @ Feb 3 2011, 10:27 PM) We could try to replace the chunk model for a small sphere slightly off center with a bright yellow texture, so it looks sort of like a spark (at least once someone gets Alleg to render emissive textures).

Then increase the number of sparks generated (code change).
The main problem with the hull debris is the size and density clculation.
The bigger the object, the bigger the debris, so when you're shooting a miner near a rock, don't be surprised if the roid starts puking huge chunks. They're also quite dense.
OTOH, when you shoot an something like a scout or an int, the stream of debris is tiny and sparse. Either way, it's not great.

I'm doing sparks right now, for the damage sprites. Wait and see.
Image Image Image
Adept

Post by Adept »

Spin, post that example pic with the TF carrier, or some other one. It looked pretty sweet.
ImageImageImageImageImage
<bp|> Maybe when I grow up I can be a troll like PsycH
<bp|> or an obsessive compulsive paladin of law like Adept
Spinoza

Post by Spinoza »

Adept wrote:QUOTE (Adept @ Feb 4 2011, 12:56 AM) Spin, post that example pic with the TF carrier, or some other one. It looked pretty sweet.
Right... I sort of hate this screenshot. It's in windowed mode so it looks silly and compressed.

You got to admire the TF carrier... looks good no matter what.
Image Image Image