What are the most important balance issues in the core?

Development area for FreeAllegiance's Community Core.
Spunkmeyer

Post by Spunkmeyer »

You know, you can set the game settings to win when the enemy is down to one sector (depending on map size, but works for common maps) and then there is always the tech-base based conquest option and timed games.

If you don't want a 1 hour+ game, don't play it. Set the time limit. It works.
Last edited by Spunkmeyer on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want bigger games? Log on to play at the official game time: 9pmET/8pmCT/7pmMT/6pmPT every day of the week. Also Saturdays 8pm UTC.

Dorjan

Post by Dorjan »

Spunkmeyer wrote:QUOTE (Spunkmeyer @ Feb 2 2011, 05:34 PM) You know, you can set the game settings to win when the enemy is down to one sector (depending on map size, but works for common maps) and then there is always the tech-base based conquest option and timed games.

If you don't want a 1 hour+ game, don't play it. Set the time limit. It works.
Why balance the game to be a boring slugfest for 3 hours when we can balance the game to favour high-action intense smaller games?
I decided to relive the days gone by in my new blog.
---
Remember, what I say is IMO always. If I say that something sucks, it actually means "I think it sucks" OK?
Cookie Monster wrote:QUOTE (Cookie Monster @ Jan 31 2012, 03:09 PM) True story.

Except the big about dorjan being jelly, that's just spidey's ego.
ImageImage
Spunkmeyer

Post by Spunkmeyer »

Dorjan wrote:QUOTE (Dorjan @ Feb 2 2011, 12:30 PM) Why balance the game to be a boring slugfest for 3 hours when we can balance the game to favour high-action intense smaller games?
Well, because in practice it doesn't really work like that, does it? You make it sound straightforward, but aiming to fix something that can be resolved by simply using appropriate settings, you break other aspects of the game. Come up with changes to "eliminate turtling/hasten the end-game", and I can probably come up with counterpoints to what they would damage balance-wise.

Want bigger games? Log on to play at the official game time: 9pmET/8pmCT/7pmMT/6pmPT every day of the week. Also Saturdays 8pm UTC.

Dorjan

Post by Dorjan »

Spunkmeyer wrote:QUOTE (Spunkmeyer @ Feb 2 2011, 06:59 PM) Well, because in practice it doesn't really work like that, does it? You make it sound straightforward, but aiming to fix something that can be resolved by simply using appropriate settings, you break other aspects of the game. Come up with changes to "eliminate turtling/hasten the end-game", and I can probably come up with counterpoints to what they would damage balance-wise.
I'm not saying it is easy and no the settings won't change anything. You make the game end early... so you get a 1 hour boring game. Maybe the commanders will try to speed up the win as I guess there will be more draws who knows.

The fact is, we can cater to the faster play, and sure you can counter-argue and I could counter argue whatever we want until the cows come home but the fact remains alleg is not popular with the masses and largely due to the game having large portions taken up with doing "nothing".

Turtling counter? More alephs on the maps (there aren't many sectors on the original map sets which are just 1 aleph), aleph res are designed for anti-camp. If you feel the thing hurting the game is that why not make the range of the aleph res smaller but only one side? Sure we'd have to balance the cost more but that's a solution (not saying it is the right one it is just an example).

I'm not going to go on about it anymore with you as it is clearly two points of view but I will always fight for fun over ultra "realism" and boring, if I fight at all.
---
Remember, what I say is IMO always. If I say that something sucks, it actually means "I think it sucks" OK?

ImageImage
Spunkmeyer

Post by Spunkmeyer »

Dorjan, that's fine.... I thought you were talking about different things, which typically involve overboosting end game tech to the point that it's not really possible to counter. When discussion turns towards this, the suggestions usually aim to make the team that's already ahead stronger, rather than giving the weaker side a chance to come back, which is what I object to.

If I designed the game, there'd be no alephs.

SpaceJunk

Post by SpaceJunk »

Is there any map like HiHigher without central sector, with MidHi and MidLow directly connected? I can't seem to find one.

That central sector feels like it's there just to get in the way.
Last edited by SpaceJunk on Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lutra

Post by Lutra »

interesting ow things can change. A few days ago, o my crappy computer while playing crappy flash games, someone told me about this beig a cooperative game. my first game ture out to be a long 2 hour game where bombers and scouts were the only things used on my team. I died 50 plus times, but it was that rush of ramming the bomber, proxing the int, and picking up the pod...
Image Lutra Also known as Lupara Image
aptest

Post by aptest »

welcome aboard lutra.
Dorjan

Post by Dorjan »

SpaceJunk wrote:QUOTE (SpaceJunk @ Feb 3 2011, 04:16 AM) Is there any map like HiHigher without central sector, with MidHi and MidLow directly connected? I can't seem to find one.

That central sector feels like it's there just to get in the way.
They have two ways.... HiHigher has access from mid-top and mid-bottom... etc
spunky wrote:Dorjan, that's fine.... I thought you were talking about different things, which typically involve overboosting end game tech to the point that it's not really possible to counter. When discussion turns towards this, the suggestions usually aim to make the team that's already ahead stronger, rather than giving the weaker side a chance to come back, which is what I object to.

That's exactly what I thought you were trying to do... Weird how we were both on the same point but both thought the other person meant what we were both defending... :S
---

ImageImage
dusanc

Post by dusanc »

Spunkmeyer wrote:QUOTE (Spunkmeyer @ Feb 3 2011, 01:56 AM) ...
Is it possible now, with one sector large map (50-100k), like in homeworld? Even more 3D like , not all rocks in one plane?

Can game cope with it?

Would be fun to try :D

No alephs, but big enough you'd have to scout as you can't eye things that far.

PS. Maybe there could be low sig alephs for shortcuts across map :D
Last edited by dusanc on Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
- "History repeats itself for a reason" - "It's easy to cry for war when you've never experienced it" - "It's better to negotiate for 10 years then make war for 10 days" - "The strong do as they will, and the weak do as they must"