SpaceJunk's Art Yard

Discussion area for user-created Allegiance models, textures, voicechats, music, and other ingame content.
Adept

Post by Adept »

SpaceJunk wrote:QUOTE (SpaceJunk @ Mar 2 2011, 11:12 AM) The good news: I've learned to remap UVs and paint textures with Blender, so I'll be retexturing GT ships now.
:iluv: :iluv: :iluv:
ImageImageImageImageImage
<bp|> Maybe when I grow up I can be a troll like PsycH
<bp|> or an obsessive compulsive paladin of law like Adept
SpaceJunk

Post by SpaceJunk »

After several BSODs, I've completed one conversion (MDL -> Milkshake -> Blender -> Milkshake -> MDL) for the GT Destroyer.

Edit: Updated pics below.

Needs more contrast, probably. I'll try to reuse the texture with as many ships as possible.

Issues I have:

1. I had to merge the ship and the cannon before exporting from blender or Milkshake would asplode.
2. There is no trail.
Last edited by SpaceJunk on Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madpeople

Post by madpeople »

I'll assume that you lost all the joints in the conversion process - you'll probably find that all guns shoot from the middle front too (everything will emit from the default positions if at all)
SpaceJunk

Post by SpaceJunk »

Guns were hard to tell, the destroyer gunmount is centered.
Adept

Post by Adept »

Very nice start SpaceJunk. I recommend doing what Rain and Quiz have done, and working with the 2048 max sixe textures. Those who want graphics upgrades use the highest resolutions afterall, and we'll have the old ones for those who can't or don't want to.
Adaven

Post by Adaven »

I'm pretty sure that's what he's doing. Those screenshots have much finer details than would be possible without 2048x2048. Although if I'm wrong, then that's a heck of a good job of doing the tiling and I'd salute you, Space.

I'll do it anyways: :salute: . Very nice job either way. I actually like the contrast the way it is for the base layer. If you up the contrast too much overall, then it will change the apparent depth of the features and make your steel plates look more like cobblestones. Leave the subtle details, they make people want to get a closer look.

I get that you might be worried about it looking bland at large distances, though. If you were going to add anything, I would suggest a couple larger scale features on top of what you currently have (that really is a fantastic base paneling).

<Edit> I meant draw the kind of structure I was thinking of, but got distracted after the nose and just started playing with colors (which may be too strong):
Last edited by Adaven on Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Loriana

Post by Loriana »

yo i might be able to help ya do some textures
SpaceJunk

Post by SpaceJunk »

2048x2048, yup.
Adaven wrote:QUOTE (Adaven @ Mar 3 2011, 05:14 AM) I would suggest a couple larger scale features on top of what you currently have (that really is a fantastic base paneling).
Yeah, I was thinking that too. I have a couple grunge paint textures I want to try. The spots u suggest are great.

@Loriana: Tnx :iluv: , tho I think we wouldn't save much time.
Adept

Post by Adept »

SpaceJunk wrote:QUOTE (SpaceJunk @ Mar 3 2011, 02:07 PM) @Loriana: Tnx :iluv: , tho I think we wouldn't save much time.
Teamwork or sharing the load. Either can be fun and productive.

I'm really looking forward to this stuff :cool: Maybe SpaceJunk (and or Lori) will be inspired to touch up the base textures as well).
fuzzylunkin1

Post by fuzzylunkin1 »

Lori has made some sexy stuff.

:ninja: