Allegiance Modulus

Catch-all for all development not having a specific forum.
badpazzword

Post by badpazzword »

No sensible amounts of arm twisting will teach me how to write good C# code others can easily change for their needs. (What needs are we talking about, anyway?)
Have gaming questions? Get expert answers! Image Image
Spinoza

Post by Spinoza »

badp wrote:QUOTE (badp @ Jul 27 2010, 08:24 PM) No sensible amounts of arm twisting will teach me how to write good C# code others can easily change for their needs. (What needs are we talking about, anyway?)
I'd ask Cort, but better the devil you know...
Anyhow it's dead simple and VB.NET will do too.

I could do something similar in AHK or Python (if I knew Python) and if it were an option.

Actual description:
First the definitions:
This thingamajig will have two users, the first being whoever packs the mod, the second is the end-user who unpacks it.

One way this could work is that the mod packer packs a whole directory of files:
a_reticule_in.png
a_reticule_out.png
another_reticule_in.png
another_reticule_out.png
yet_another_reticule_in.png
yet_another_reticule_out.png
And of course the \Artwork files:
centerinbmp.mdl
centeroutbmp.mdl

The last two should contain a referral to a PNG... but they don't.
Instead:
When the end-user installs or repairs the mod, he gets a simple menu allowing him to pick what he wants to use and the thingamajig just puts the appropriate referral in the *.mdl, c'est tout.
If the thingamajig shows a preview of the PNG, you get a bonus point but whatever the mod maker puts in the description should suffice.

I suppose the thingamajig could use a plain text file "script" which lists the files, links pairs in cases like the reticule and gives a title for the selection menu.

As I said, this would be pretty basic in AHK or Python... if only.
Image Image Image
Orion

Post by Orion »

You'll have to bring that up with the other mod's author ;)
KGJV

Post by KGJV »

just saw this topic. Nice stuff.

But plz do tell me this is temporary while waiting for CSS and that CSS will include all Modulus features ? ;)
Orion

Post by Orion »

Not initially it wont, no. However, it has been discussed in the past, and it shouldn't be difficult to integrate in once they're both stable.

I'd like to port CSS over to .net 4.0 first though haha :rofl:
Last edited by Orion on Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orion

Post by Orion »

Modulus version 021 is now live, let me know if you have any issues updating (pm me your output.log if u do)

--021--

Changes:
-Download/Update progress bar (including kilobyte/total count)
-Mod installer warns user if 'UseTexturePack' is enabled - this causes issues with texture-based mods

Fixes:
-Mod list sorts properly when mod is added from local machine and then deleted.

Here are my current ideas for what to add next:

-- FUTURE --
- Add 'Cancel' button to mod downloads
- Make use of 'ArtPath' registry setting (oversight/bug)
- Handle .mdz files from commandline (automatically add to local mod list & select)
- Create modulus:// handler (lets users link directly to mods in modulus ie: modulus://modulus.wivuu.com/blahblah.mdz)
- Add tags/keywords to mods (this needs to be fleshed out a bit more)
Cortex

Post by Cortex »

I love the idea of a modulus:// handler. But wouldn't the <name> of the mod be enough of an identifier? So you could just make it modulus://MyMod. Or possibly specify a full URL, which means Modulus will fetch it from the 'net (i.e. for packages which aren't in the repository -- although I'm not sure it's wise to encourage people to use it without the repository).
This is Sparta. Not spa. — Wurf
Orion

Post by Orion »

Cort wrote:QUOTE (Cort @ Aug 2 2010, 06:48 PM) I love the idea of a modulus:// handler. But wouldn't the <name> of the mod be enough of an identifier? So you could just make it modulus://MyMod. Or possibly specify a full URL, which means Modulus will fetch it from the 'net (i.e. for packages which aren't in the repository -- although I'm not sure it's wise to encourage people to use it without the repository).
Yeah, the actual idea is to let it fetch the mod from anywhere, not just modulus.wivuu.com, but good idea about the mod name though.
Spinoza

Post by Spinoza »

LOL, check for updtaes in Modulus doesn't do what I expected...
I'm dling the new version... what should I do to install and preserve the stuff I have? I have non-public mods too...

EDIT:
As I expected, I cannot install over my old install... what happens when I uninstall?
Can I just save my shadow and mod directories and put them back in the new install?
I assume I can just drop .mdz files in the mod directory and Modulus finds them.
Hmm?
Last edited by Spinoza on Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
Spinoza

Post by Spinoza »

Installed, tested the progress bar, works as advertised.
As I hoped, Modulus left the shadow & mods intact.

Suggestion:
Let's talk a bit about the .mdz file structure...
Regardless of Modulus development, we can look at what we would like to add to the XML and how the packaging/installing process works.
For example, we can decide right now on the format for tags so we could start adding them manually regardless of Modulus support.

News flash:
I will start writing a Modulus wiki entry soon... maybe tomorrow.

EDIT:
This almost qualifies as a bug, not quite.
When I ran the new install, it showed all the mods, but did not highlight the featured mods. It did after I manually checked for updates, now they are lit up when I shut down and restart Modulus.
I can't test any further because the problem only manifested itself when the install was fresh. I can uninstall and reinstall if you wish me to confirm.
Last edited by Spinoza on Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image