Discussion of Bios changes

Development area for FreeAllegiance's Community Core.
NightRychune

Post by NightRychune »

Personally I think that people who are not qualified to command/don't command shouldn't be talking about things like openings and economies, and instead should only talk about what they feel is too strong when they fly against bios.
zombywoof

Post by zombywoof »

I feel like Bios can get adv tech even without miners, and so I feel like when I'm flying against bios attacking miners is just a method to assure they don't get a second tech, and I feel like that's insane.
Don't find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain.
Cookie Monster wrote:QUOTE (Cookie Monster @ Apr 1 2009, 09:35 PM) But I don't read the forums I only post.
NightRychune

Post by NightRychune »

I feel like most factions can get adv tech by mining 1-1.5 sectors, which is what bios needs to mine after all the starbase partialling to BUY a techbase, and attacking most other factions' miners is just a method to insure that they don't get a second adv tech.
RoboTel

Post by RoboTel »

Is there anyone who believes that payday (and perhaps miner) changes will be insufficient? At least as an initial attempt at correcting the issue.
TheVoid37

Post by TheVoid37 »

Forward

Didn't read the entire thread mostly skimmed a lot, but adding some opinion. You'll live.

Mostly I think the reason bios feels overpowered is the general default tactic of most commanders to "Build their empire". You expand, you push to adv tech and you fight the economy war, which I mostly agree upon as a very solid tactic; however, if our idea is to force bios into that role so that commanders don't have to think different strategy then yes they need balancing. Bios is a unique faction in that their economy, while important, is not as important as other factions. It is by far exagerating to say they don't need an economy at all, they do, but they don't need 4 miners working all the time to be effective. A commander should not let bios sit, you need to push them hard and early, pick a faction that does this, choose map and settings that allow this, if you have that choice, if its a large map push hard across that map. Think of why you don't see bios in SGs much, SGs are fast, violent and aggressive, not something condusive to a long end game faction. But strategy is not our goal in this thread so I'll digress.

Please do not make large sweeping changes to this faction. While I am a bit biased as Bios is one of my favorite factions, start small, as suggested 1 and 2 may not be bad options.

Possibly considering making starbase cheaper for other factions?

See how things go.

Just don't take a faction that we see rarely in pugs and never in SGs and reduce it to a faction that is never played at all because commanders don't like to be outside of their comfort zone.
ImageImage
"Someday, We'll Find It... The Rainbow Connection." ~ Kermit
spideycw

Post by spideycw »

foreword?
I'm sorry I don't remember any of it. For you the day spideycw graced your squad with utter destruction was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Sunday
Idanmel wrote:QUOTE (Idanmel @ Mar 19 2012, 05:54 AM) I am ashamed for all the drama I caused, I have much to learn on how to behave when things don't go my way.

My apologies.
zombywoof

Post by zombywoof »

Right now a lot of the reason BIos is rarely played is because of the stigma it has of being "overpowered."
Cookie Monster wrote:QUOTE (Cookie Monster @ Apr 1 2009, 09:35 PM) But I don't read the forums I only post.
TheVoid37

Post by TheVoid37 »

LOL omfg really.

Been what 11 years and I've never seen anyone in the community go "oh this is cheesey and overpowered, I think I'll stop playing it"

Bios is a come back faction, they need to live a long time. Most people want quick fast games. That and a commander needs to know WTF they are doing with bios or you get rolled easy.
ImageImage
"Someday, We'll Find It... The Rainbow Connection." ~ Kermit
Shizoku

Post by Shizoku »

Fantastic logic P1.
zombywoof

Post by zombywoof »

I know most commanders throw a hissy fit when the other side goes Bios and refuses to launch. Same with TF these days. Sure, when the best coms step up people are willing to play bios, but most of the time the commanding quality isn't that high.

The attitude is not, "Oh, that's cheesy so I won't play it." The attitude is "Oh, that's cheesy, I'm going to sit on AFK until you change your faction."