Map naming

A place to discuss custom maps played by the community.
Raveen

Post by Raveen »

If we could have filenames of any length I'd agree with you pkk, but as it is there's so much meta information in the filename that you end up losing the actual name of the map if you're not carefull.

IMO being able to find the file is the most important thing.
ImageImage
Spidey: Can't think of a reason I'd need to know anything
pkk

Post by pkk »

Raveen wrote:QUOTE (Raveen @ Jan 22 2010, 02:38 PM) If we could have filenames of any length I'd agree with you pkk, but as it is there's so much meta information in the filename that you end up losing the actual name of the map if you're not carefull.
You have 12 characters to name a file, you loosing only three with that system.

95% of the maps have a name shorter than 10 characters. ;)
Last edited by pkk on Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Escapist (Justin Emerson) @ Dec 21 2010, 02:33 PM:
The history of open-source Allegiance is paved with the bodies of dead code branches, forum flame wars, and personal vendettas. But a community remains because people still love the game.
IB_

Post by IB_ »

You added the ib so its now your system. Rebel my brothers!
slap wrote:QUOTE (slap @ Oct 7 2009, 01:28 AM) good point, I concede.
Raveen

Post by Raveen »

So the meta information tells you what exactly? How many teams it's for and nothing else?

Well the game won't let you select a map that's for the wrong number of people and the information will be included on the wiki for map pack builders/derver operators so that's not needed.

You added the ib part, presumably to name the creator. Except you did it wrong because not all maps were made by IB and most people's names are longer than 2 characters. And again, that information will be on the wiki.

The m and x seem totally superfluous to me so they can be dumped too.
ImageImage
pkk

Post by pkk »

Raveen wrote:QUOTE (Raveen @ Jan 22 2010, 03:26 PM) So the meta information tells you what exactly? How many teams it's for and nothing else?

Well the game won't let you select a map that's for the wrong number of people and the information will be included on the wiki for map pack builders/derver operators so that's not needed.
Yes, because server crashs if you set the wrong number of teams within maps.txt... :ninja:

It's easier to look at the file name, instant of checking the wiki (or whatever) every time you gonna add another map.
Raveen wrote:QUOTE (Raveen @ Jan 22 2010, 03:26 PM) You added the ib part, presumably to name the creator. Except you did it wrong because not all maps were made by IB and most people's names are longer than 2 characters. And again, that information will be on the wiki.
Because they were part of his mappack. ;)
Last edited by pkk on Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The history of open-source Allegiance is paved with the bodies of dead code branches, forum flame wars, and personal vendettas. But a community remains because people still love the game.
Raveen

Post by Raveen »

So we distribute maps.txt in an archive with the map files. Problem solved.
ImageImage
pkk

Post by pkk »

Here a screenshot, why maps should have a strict naming system:

Solamnus

Post by Solamnus »

IB_ wrote:QUOTE (IB_ @ Jan 22 2010, 12:49 AM) I dont like pkks m2xibblah. Naming them what they actually are seems the simple way to go, plus when you look on game info you actually get the name instead of gibberish.
when talking about game info screen, it doesnt show Treasure setting IIRC.
ImageImageImage <Gandalf> RT are the gentlemen of this gameImage
HSharp

Post by HSharp »

Why don't we just have m2blah instead of m2xibblah or even better why don't we have a maps folder so its Artwork\Maps\m2blah.igc?
Raveen

Post by Raveen »

pkk wrote:QUOTE (pkk @ Jan 22 2010, 03:35 PM) Here a screenshot, why maps should have a strict naming system:

Raveen wrote:QUOTE (Raveen @ Jan 22 2010, 02:57 PM) So we distribute maps.txt in an archive with the map files. Problem solved.
ImageImage