Allegiance Cooking School (ACS)?

Non-Allegiance related. High probability of spam. Pruned regularly.
HSharp

Post by HSharp »

I'm guessing Rav meant Tikka Masala marinade sauce (or powder and add water?), of course everyone makes tikka masala differently so it depends where you get the marinade from to how the end result will taste I would assume :P
Broodwich

Post by Broodwich »

well last week i made it, but i had to sort of improvise the ingredients and stuff like a g. It turned out feckin awesome and i had a lot of fun just going "well, $#@! it" and throwing random @#(! in. unfortunately the entire time i had this stuck in my head.

also when searching for wtf i needed i discovered the unsurprising fact that caddy doesnt know jack :D
QUOTE Drizzo: ha ha good old chap
Drizzo: i am a brit
Drizzo: tut tut
Drizzo: wankarrrrrr
Drizzo: i only have sex whilst in the missionary position[/quote] Fas est et ab hoste doceri - Ovid
Shizoku

Post by Shizoku »

A really simple stir fry sauce that I've made a couple times is just equal parts maple syrup and soy sauce. Then add a bit of chili paste for heat. Reduces and caramelizes really well.

Works really well with chicken and bell peppers over rice.
Icky

Post by Icky »

From last week, the best turkey EVAR:

Brine your turkey in Apple cider and salt (1 cup salt per gallon cider), with bay leaves and whole allspice. You want to brine at least overnight, we did for like 24 hours.

Rinse it off, let it dry overnight.

Rub turkey in melted butter, fill cavity with mixture of melted butter, coarsely chopped carrot/onion/celery and whole sprigs of thyme. Put more thyme and veggies in roasting pan under the rack with a cup or 2 of water.

Bake BREAST DOWN at 350 for like an hour. Baste throughout. Flip it onto the back (breast up) after an hour or so.

Boil 2 cups apple cider down to about 1/2 cup (15 mins or so), then add 1 stick butter off heat. Use this to baste the bird until it's done, every 15 mins or so.

That's it. This is EPIC TURKEY. Everyone in my house was like "This is the first time the turkey has been the best part of Thanksgiving!"
Terran wrote:QUOTE (Terran @ Jan 20 2011, 03:56 PM) i'm like adept
Broodwich wrote:QUOTE (Broodwich @ Jun 6 2010, 10:19 PM) if you spent as much time in game as trollin sf might not be dead
Bard
Location: Within your command center, enacting fatal attacks upon your conscripts

Post by Bard »

Broodwich wrote:QUOTE (Broodwich @ Nov 12 2010, 09:10 AM) im trying to make this but cant find tikka powder anywhere, or even anyone whos heard of it (not even caddy!!)
is there a substitute or something similar you would suggest?
The original 1953 Hume/Spry Coronation Chicken used "Curry Powder". The excess turmeric involved in most post-war curry powders is why the stuff was so utterly yellow.

One version of Tikka Powder is as follows:

# 2 teaspoons chili powder
# 6 teaspoons coriander
# 6 teaspoons cumin
# 3 teaspoons dried mint
# 4 teaspoons garam masala
# 6 teaspoons garlic powder
# 3 teaspoons ginger, ground
# 6 teaspoons paprika

@ If whole, brown only whole spices slightly in ghee, careful not to overcook, then grind into powder, mixing with powdered ingredients. If all powdered, just mix.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Image Omnia Mutantur, Nihil Interit.
Bard
Location: Within your command center, enacting fatal attacks upon your conscripts

Post by Bard »

Icky wrote:QUOTE (Icky @ Nov 29 2010, 09:26 PM) Baste

Seriously though, tender every time, no basting ever required. You can even brine before you bag.
FreeBeer

Post by FreeBeer »

+1 on the turkey bags.
[img]http://www.freeallegiance.org/forums/st ... erator.gif" alt="IPB Image">

chown -R us base
Shizoku

Post by Shizoku »

So I made some pretty good Gingerbread Cake tonight:

2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 cup molasses mixed with 1 cup hot water

Mix together sugar with wet ingredients and then with the dry ingredients. Bake at 350degrees.

I also roasted granny smith apples in brown sugar as a side. Whip cream also is good.
Bard

Post by Bard »

Shizoku wrote:QUOTE (Shizoku @ Dec 18 2010, 11:08 PM) So I made some pretty good Gingerbread Cake tonight:

2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 cup molasses mixed with 1 cup hot water

Mix together sugar with wet ingredients and then with the dry ingredients. Bake at 350degrees.

I also roasted granny smith apples in brown sugar as a side. Whip cream also is good.
I *love* whipped cream (the real kind, made with heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla extract) and pineapple on top of my gingerbread. It sounds odd, but it tastes amazing.
Shizoku

Post by Shizoku »

A great easy dish that I do fairly often is sort of a panninii style chicken tortilla.

Fry up chunks of chicken breast
Once the chicken is nearly done add some bell peppers at a fairly high heat to sear them. Other veggies probably would work, but I usually just keep it simple.
Add either chili pepper or a taco mix(I buy this stuff in bulk, it tastes the same as the packet and costs a lot less). Oregano goes well too, oddly enough.
Remove from heat once peppers are seared and chicken is cooked.
take tortillas grate some cheese in them, add chicken mix and wrap like a burrito.
Place the wraps on a frying pan and place something heavy like a plate on top of it. A paninii grill would probably work better, but alas I am broke. Flip over and do the same to the other side till cheese is melted and both sides are crispy.

Serve with mexican fixings like salsa sourcream guac. It's weird, it has literally identical ingredients to my quesadillas, yet it tastes dramatically different.
Could probably add cilantro into the mix and it would taste good, pretty flexible, easy and good tasting.