MDLC

Discussion area for user-created Allegiance models, textures, voicechats, music, and other ingame content.
SP4WN

Post by SP4WN »

Im trying to convert .bmp's to bmp.mdl's using YP's MDLC. I used the front end method and the command line method.

Everytime I convert with the frontend it just hangs, while giving me a bmp.mdl half the size of the .bmp
Using the cmd I get no hang, but the same half file size.

The files obviously dont work when tested....

Anyone have any ideas?
madpeople

Post by madpeople »

First thing to point out is that it is expected that a bmp.mdl is 2/3 the size of the input bmp.
bmp.mdl s are 16 bit colour (unless you've got the 24bit mdlc), intput .bmp is usually 24bit

Second, without bothering to delve further, why do you need to use the old tools? - why can't you use the new text bmp.mdl +.png method (are you modding somethnig that alleg does funky things to like gauges or launch door animation and it jsut doesn't like the text bmp.mdl you've done?)

thirdly, more info please, what OS for a start
Zapper

Post by Zapper »

SP4WN wrote:QUOTE (SP4WN @ Nov 26 2009, 10:43 PM) Im trying to convert .bmp's to bmp.mdl's using YP's MDLC. I used the front end method and the command line method.

Everytime I convert with the frontend it just hangs, while giving me a bmp.mdl half the size of the .bmp
Using the cmd I get no hang, but the same half file size.

The files obviously dont work when tested....

Anyone have any ideas?
The change in size is not what you see.. its a conversion of the structure of the file attributes, you convert to 16bit with the normal mdlc..

I use mdlcMasterBat.exe which is the GUI for the converter.. the mdlc.exe is interacted via the console. The GUI generate a Batch file: master.bat, which contain the console commands for each file you pick with the GUI.

The master.bat is a simple text file, which in the example below could contain a conversion of a texture:

Code: Select all

mdlc.exe -convert fig13.bmp fig13bmp.mdl
If you need to convert the same bmp over and over, you can just use the master.bat, you dont have to use the GUI each time..
The master.bat is overwritten each time you make a selection with the GUI. So make your pick exit the GUI and rename the master.bat to what ever you like..
I got several Batch files for different sets of files i run conversion on..

Z

Get on IRC if you have q's or just post them here.
Life suck's and then u play Alleg.
-.. ..- -.- . -. ..- -.- . .----. . -- .. ... - .... . --. .-. . .- - . ... -
SP4WN

Post by SP4WN »

Sorry, maybe I wasnt clear. I know how to use MDLC and MDLCmasterbat. I used them for all the slipstream stuff.

Unfortunately I lost a chunk of HDDs recently, one of which had my MDLC on it. I re-downloaded it off the link Madp provided in his "howto" series :iluv:

The problem I am getting is any file I convert is not working, using the bat or using cmd lines.

Obviously the filesize issue is a non-starter as you both explained, but the files are just crashing alleg once loaded, which obviously means there is something breaking when I convert.

I am using Win Xp SP1,2,3.

They used to work fine, Im gonna tinker with it more today to see if I can find the problem. Thanks again for any help and any more suggestions are welcome.
SP4WN

Post by SP4WN »

It appears that I was saving the .bmp's in 32bit instead of the required 24bit :doh:

Oh well...LeastI can get them working! Now just to figure out why none of the animation converting works :rofl:
madpeople

Post by madpeople »

ah, that's something to watch out for in future, if they say half the size, and they really are, then the 32bit -> 16 bit does equal half the size