Models of upgraded ships

Discussion area for user-created Allegiance models, textures, voicechats, music, and other ingame content.
Jersy

Post by Jersy »

I am just interested... Since there are different variants of ships (depending on upgrades), are they all just using only one model, or do they use "copy-pasted" models? I started thinking about it when I noticed that some basic ship (int or fig, I'm not sure) has three guns as a part of it's model, but it has only two weapon slots, so I started wondering if the third gun could be removed - but then it occured to me that if all more advanced versions use the same model, then there would be one gun missing... On the other hand, if each version COULD use it's own separate model (so even if they do not use separate models now, make it so they would), it might be kinda nice - especially in making more advanced ships look better and meaner...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Link: Allegiance Stuff on "Jersy's Ultimate Blog of Concentrated Nerdiness"
Current stuff-count: 97
(Latest update: March 7th, 2011, in "Jers_Core Diary")

Stationed in CZECH REPUBLIC (link)
(GMT+1)
SpaceJunk

Post by SpaceJunk »

I know for sure GT int uses two models.
Adaven

Post by Adaven »

All depends how it is setup in the core. Generally different levels all use the same model, but there are a few exceptions as Spacejunk mentioned like GT ints and bios scouts.
Raveen

Post by Raveen »

Also it is possible to have each level of the same ship use a different model. If a ship has a different texture for higher levels it's using a seperate model already (IC Fig, Bios Scout).

It's a fairly simple change in the core, although the new model needs to be added to allegiance update as well obviously.

If you're interested in the existing factions I'd say that there's good work to be done by upgrading the existing models first (so add polys to make the IC engines round and so on) and then use those as templates to make enh and adv versions.
ImageImage
Spidey: Can't think of a reason I'd need to know anything