Dreghklar ships

A place to discuss user-created Allegiance 3D models, textures, images, and other visual ingame content.
raingriffin

Post by raingriffin »

good hitboxes, bad hitboxes. Gah.
I hope dregs gets a facelift AND a good gameplay.

I like the new models, not how i would have imagined them, but they're nice.
As for playbility, i tested em out myself since it's the only way to check if a cvh is messed up or not. They don't seem to be too hard to hit.
I'm a crappy DMer so i can't give good feedbacks tho.
Ask the godwhores to do that, if they can be arsed to, i just model :)

A little post scriptum to LANS... you don't "round up" and "fill in" CVHs, you redesign them from scratch... and while i would perfectly be for the simplification of hitboxes, there's something about these models you can't just oversee. They're not convex. Simplifying a-la-MS in this case means big asteroids instead of hitboxes. Close fitting boxes also means trouble cause hitboxes need to be convex. So you split the big chunks in convex parts. The more complex the model, the more complex the cvh. Redesigning this kind of CVHs is... Annoying...

That said, i'll be glad if someone steps in and teaches me what the "perfect" way of doing things for Alleg, cause if it exists, i sure do not know.
-sing- Just always look on the bright side of life -whistle, bow to monty python's Life of Brian-

Dorjan

Post by Dorjan »

You guys need to learn how to talk on the internet damn.

Just chill the frak out. Turkey is doing the right thing. Stop your whinny and penis comparing and just try them out and if they work, YAY if not, BOO. We'll live I'm sure.

From the way Rain does his work in the past, they've all worked out so I personally have high faith.
Last edited by Dorjan on Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I decided to relive the days gone by in my new blog.
---
Remember, what I say is IMO always. If I say that something sucks, it actually means "I think it sucks" OK?
Cookie Monster wrote:QUOTE (Cookie Monster @ Jan 31 2012, 03:09 PM) True story.

Except the big about dorjan being jelly, that's just spidey's ego.
ImageImage
Weedman

Post by Weedman »

Spinoza wrote:QUOTE (Spinoza @ Nov 23 2010, 05:19 AM) I hate to point out the obvious, but MS didn't do Dreg... the worst hit box MS made is the Rix fig but only from above/below. From the front, it's only a little worse than the IC fig.
When considering ints usually dogfight each other face to face, all the int hit boxes are ok except the Dreg int.

I think the problem isn't in the hit box really, it's in the wings... small ships shouldn't have wings like the Dreg int. Regardless of the hit box, it messes with your brain visual centers.
The new models are brilliant and should not have much of an impact on balance if the hit box profiles are close to the area they are now.

Re: Icky's Ali/Tyson analogy, you realise you're comparing our top whores to brain damaged meatbags?
Really, you can't get further away from boxing than Allegiance.
I'd like to see Ali and Tyson in an epic four hour match like Spidey and Aarm... what's that in boxing terms, 240 rounds? I think that's more than a boxer is allowed to legally do in a year... :lol:

EDIT:
I second Dorjan's motion to put the new models up on a test core.
i dont want to troll, but i took vegs dreg int model and ran it through the cvh generate batch process found in msdev art and the hitbox is the same form as the one veg released
QUOTE Once engaged 13 and a half Dreg Heavy Ints (at the same time) with an IC Int and emerged in a heavy int with 2 mini 3 and 1 mini dis and all foes destroyed
--- QUOTE (spideycw @ Apr 1 2009, 01:53 PM) Definition of wtfpwn: Weedman in an int[/quote]
Lordus Weedicus II•Uses TS but can be difficult to understand due to the fact has never been sober•Expert int whore (without non-standard use of strafe buttons)•Gains skill increase when playing with Aarmstrong or former members of TRA•Expert miner D (ability to aim)•Can be trusted to run your economy•One of the half dozen or so game changers•Average Stacker
Adept

Post by Adept »

Weedman wrote:QUOTE (Weedman @ Nov 24 2010, 03:28 AM) i dont want to troll, but i took vegs dreg int model and ran it through the cvh generate batch process found in msdev art and the hitbox is the same form as the one veg released
It kind of shows how it's not a magic bullet. Vegeta made a flat ship (with riduculous accel faction to make things worse) and ended up with a broken design.
ImageImageImageImageImage
<bp|> Maybe when I grow up I can be a troll like PsycH
<bp|> or an obsessive compulsive paladin of law like Adept
LANS

Post by LANS »

raingriffin wrote:QUOTE (raingriffin @ Nov 23 2010, 11:43 AM) A little post scriptum to LANS... you don't "round up" and "fill in" CVHs, you redesign them from scratch... and while i would perfectly be for the simplification of hitboxes, there's something about these models you can't just oversee. They're not convex. Simplifying a-la-MS in this case means big asteroids instead of hitboxes. Close fitting boxes also means trouble cause hitboxes need to be convex. So you split the big chunks in convex parts. The more complex the model, the more complex the cvh. Redesigning this kind of CVHs is... Annoying...

That said, i'll be glad if someone steps in and teaches me what the "perfect" way of doing things for Alleg, cause if it exists, i sure do not know.
Thanks for the clarification. Based on the view of the CVH you posted it looked like it was done in some 3D modeling program where you could just add shapes as necessary without too much difficulty.
ImageImage
raingriffin

Post by raingriffin »

you can do the modelling in a modelling package like blender and then import in ms3d, it is also quicker. The problem is that most packages don't work with quads per se (except zbrush) but with triangles. All calcs are made considering composed triangles. This is not a problem in 2d, but in 3d if you happen to scale just one of the faces of an object in the wrong way it may happen that one of the linked faces gets twisted, if slightly, along the diagonal, thus making it non-convex, which is a no-no for hitboxes. Plus you can't merge meshes for the same reason. So, you can add at will, or fill the gaps (as long as this means just putting an ad hoc piece in the gap, no merging), it just is way harder than erasing the offending pieces and redo them, since you'd be checking in any case.
Last edited by raingriffin on Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
-sing- Just always look on the bright side of life -whistle, bow to monty python's Life of Brian-

Quiz

Post by Quiz »

Maybe more luck with new ZLs?
vogue

Post by vogue »

yeah can we revisit this, i'd much rather see dreg get a facelift than making tt's useful
phoenix1 wrote:QUOTE (phoenix1 @ May 5 2013, 08:35 PM) Vogue is clearly #1 and commanding against him feels like commanding against Spideycw at times... though he lacks that little bit of "I don't care who's on my team or what the factions are, it's going to be a stomp anyways" that Spidey managed to pull off in his heyday.
Adept

Post by Adept »

vogue wrote:QUOTE (vogue @ Dec 16 2010, 01:35 AM) yeah can we revisit this, i'd much rather see dreg get a facelift than making tt's useful
Working out the scale right now Vogue.
ImageImageImageImageImage
<bp|> Maybe when I grow up I can be a troll like PsycH
<bp|> or an obsessive compulsive paladin of law like Adept
Quiz

Post by Quiz »

Adept wrote:QUOTE (Adept @ Jan 6 2011, 03:34 PM) Working out the scale right now Vogue.
That is good to hear, could you tell me how things are coming along? Thanks.