Hopefully this has been already covered but

The land-based version of Allegiance, under construction.
MrChaos

Post by MrChaos »

have you given any thought as to where your going to run your application? The reason I ask is there was talk of linking two servers together and running both Quantus and Allegiance simultaneously, it appears to have died, but it prompted me to think of things regarding servers.

I do STRONGLY wish to caution you gentlemen regarding the "free" Allegiance servers you'll most likely want to hook into for this project. All of them are more then adequete for Allegiance and Ive got a bit more ooomph for mine then needed BUT none of them are bleeding edge machines. Im wondering who is going to host your files for download? Solap is meant for Allegiance game time and I already hear endless bitching just imagine if we allowed it for downloading Quantus files. Bandwidth usage for your game itself I have not a clue of but if you drive the bandwidth and total usage through the roof... You are going to have to make the server side implementation pretty much MrChaos proof since undo hassles and worse crashes is bad....

Just an fyi regarding security Aarm is legendary for his paranoia with regard to his server. Writing a check every month for a server gives me no special knowledge in these matters just a new angle when considering the stuff coming down the pipeline. Im guessing this will all be covered when the day comes but it would be sad to get it working and can't find a home.

Best of Luck
MrChaos
Ssssh
finnbryant

Post by finnbryant »

EDIT: nvm just realised i sounded like a twat

if worst comes to worst, i can pay for a server wothout too much fuss.
Last edited by finnbryant on Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrChaos

Post by MrChaos »

Finn Bryant wrote:QUOTE (Finn Bryant @ Aug 14 2009, 05:12 PM) EDIT: nvm just realised i sounded like a twat

if worst comes to worst, i can pay for a server wothout too much fuss.

Maybe you did and maybe you didn't but I had to edit my why use Python post elsewhere so fair is fair :lol:

Finn it's :cool: if you'd like to discuss it via PMs or some such Im game when the time comes. If your willing to or can get enough contributions to plunk down money for a server problem solved too.... ish there is still some other hurdles to jump. Hell being at school you may be able to get a friendly admin their to host it for you. Again being a server provider only gives me a new angle to look at things is all and I claim no uberness with regard to knowledge.

MrChaos
Ssssh
finnbryant

Post by finnbryant »

unfortunaly, my uni networks admins are @#$%@#s, we are only allowed *outbound* access through a web proxy and 10 ports of our choice! no inbound access at all.

so no server space there.

i always wanted my own server anyway, im enjoying my own hosting.

Thanks for the offers and suggestions, appreciated.

ill definetly find you when we need a sever, at least for discussion.
Cadillac

Post by Cadillac »

And like I said before MrC, I can always help chip in, and this goes double if Quantus is on it, thanks for the offer matey.
Image Image Image
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." Carl Sagan ("The Lives of the Stars" ep. 9 Cosmos)
Rants Blog Cadillac, *Wurflet@Event, ?GoldDragon@Alleg, ^Biggus*#$@us@XT, +Ashandarei@Zone