Rip Miner icon

Discussion area for user-created Allegiance models, textures, voicechats, music, and other ingame content.
Imago

Post by Imago »

Can you just try putting a 1px black edge on the outside of the arrow part and send me the file if it fixes it?

EDIT just saw compellers RE to andon

so it's any icons that don't have the top right pixel set to black?
Last edited by Imago on Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

These bugs haven't been fixed yet because don't have any developers interested in fixing them up. --Tigereye
Imago's stupid-sensor is supersensitive. --RealPandemonium
The art is managing the flow of the drama to achieve the desired results. --Big_Beta_Tester
joeld wrote:But we’ve been amazed at the level to which some of the Allegiance fans have remained hard-core.
Imago

Post by Imago »

I'm going to say to fix anti aliasing for these "new" icons they have to have black edges.

These bugs haven't been fixed yet because don't have any developers interested in fixing them up. --Tigereye
The art is managing the flow of the drama to achieve the desired results. --Big_Beta_Tester
joeld wrote:But we’ve been amazed at the level to which some of the Allegiance fans have remained hard-core.
Andon

Post by Andon »

It looks that the edges "bleed" over to the next side - like that one, the "bottom" of the ship icon appears at the top as well. It would appear that all icons require a black border around their entirety
ImageImage
Compellor

Post by Compellor »

Should we try to "fix" the existing icons by moving and removing things so that the icons have black edges, or should we create new icons based on the old which can be used by cores which desire to do so, e.g. CC? I'm leaning toward the latter, especially since some of the icons in question can be found in the original artwork e.g. bomber(old), and many icons are based on the original capital ship icon.
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
Beyond a shadow of a doubt if you don't watch them like a hawk they will stack their collective balls off - MrChaos on Alleg players
Imago

Post by Imago »

Just get me the updated icons so i can commit them. i don't care how.

finnbryant

Post by finnbryant »

I still recommend the clamp solution, it ensures this will never come up again (ignore the rest of this post if there's a good reason you can't use clamp).

look at the bottom of this page

its for the panda3d game engine I admit, but it explains exactly this situation.

you can fix it by making a black border around the edge, but thats not the neatest solution

to quote it:
This is a particularly common error with a texture that is painted as an alpha cutout, where there is an image with a fully transparent background: you will often see an thin, barely-visible edge floating along the top (for instance) of the polygon. This edge is actually the bottom edge of the texture bleeding onto the top, because the designer specified WMRepeat instead of the correct mode, WMClamp.[/quote]

Look at the WMClamp section of the page to see why clamping the texture will fix it.

It may be that allegiances engine wont allow this to happen easily, if so, go with the black edge and ignore me :)
Last edited by finnbryant on Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imago

Post by Imago »

Thanks finn!

Setting these defaults to Clamp:

D3DSAMP_ADDRESSU, D3DTADDRESS_CLAMP
D3DSAMP_ADDRESSV, D3DTADDRESS_CLAMP
D3DSAMP_ADDRESSW, D3DTADDRESS_CLAMP

Seems to have fixed it

finnbryant

Post by finnbryant »

yay, my first taste of guru status!
parcival

Post by parcival »

Good job guys! Well done!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
" There is good in everyone. You just need the eyes for it. "