Rip Miner icon

Discussion area for user-created Allegiance models, textures, voicechats, music, and other ingame content.
Imago

Post by Imago »

It seems the artwork image for the rip miner icon (that have the little arrow next to the shovel) has a "dirty edge" or some other issue that causes flickering, easily noticeable while zooming in and out to the miner from command view when you have anti aliasing on.

Please provide an updated artwork image here. Thank You!

These bugs haven't been fixed yet because don't have any developers interested in fixing them up. --Tigereye
Imago's stupid-sensor is supersensitive. --RealPandemonium
The art is managing the flow of the drama to achieve the desired results. --Big_Beta_Tester
joeld wrote:But we’ve been amazed at the level to which some of the Allegiance fans have remained hard-core.
Compellor

Post by Compellor »

dn_himnrripbmp.mdl confirmed to have two not-quite-black pixels. Not certain that's causing it, but probably the case. Probably a good idea to test the other six or so miner icons for bad pixels, but I'm going to bed now.
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
Beyond a shadow of a doubt if you don't watch them like a hawk they will stack their collective balls off - MrChaos on Alleg players
Imago

Post by Imago »

That's the one! I didn't notice this issue with any others. Absolutely the "not quite black pixels" would be causing the issue.

Thanks Compellor, i look forward to getting your fixed dn_himnrripbmp.mdl :P

These bugs haven't been fixed yet because don't have any developers interested in fixing them up. --Tigereye
The art is managing the flow of the drama to achieve the desired results. --Big_Beta_Tester
joeld wrote:But we’ve been amazed at the level to which some of the Allegiance fans have remained hard-core.
Compellor

Post by Compellor »

I should probably find a better file host, but here's what you're stuck with:
http://www.filefactory.com/file/ahh1dg1/n/minerbmp_zip

http://www.allegiancegamingclan.com/compellor/minerbmp.zip

Thank you SP4WN!

This contains the six fixed ripping miner icons, the other three miner icons were fine. Testing it as I type this, but it should work, it's a simple fix.
Last edited by Compellor on Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beyond a shadow of a doubt if you don't watch them like a hawk they will stack their collective balls off - MrChaos on Alleg players
SP4WN

Post by SP4WN »

Compellor hit me up, il sort you out some space on my site with FTP access to it ;)
Compellor

Post by Compellor »

Hmm, seeing some shimmering in the upper left corner of the tf miner icon, but I can't determine the cause yet.

Much more obvious in the IC miner icon.

I think what I'm seeing is the icon shifting up and down half a pixel and wrapping around. That is, I'm seeing little yellow lines opposite the yellow arrow, and the same length as that arrow. I think this may be a bug. Maybe in the AA code, or maybe it's just in whatever code renders the icons, because it could be tiling or something.

If you zoom in (in your browser, in Paint or something) it's quite noticeable.

If I force AA in vanilla R4 I get the same result, so it's not the DX9 code.
Last edited by Compellor on Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
finnbryant

Post by finnbryant »

looks like a problem in the texture wrap mode, the image is being repeated rather than clamped i would guess, should be fixable in the icon code.

i doubt its a bug in the anti-aliasing code, just a by-product of the wrong wrap mode being used.

*enjoying having new found knowledge about computer graphics*
Last edited by finnbryant on Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imago

Post by Imago »

So the icon is too big? It's not the code, none of the other icons do this. This problem should be fixed via. Artwork. I'd rather not have to send another D3D call just for one icon, if D3DTADDRESS_CLAMP will even do anything we expect in the first place. :lol:

Andon

Post by Andon »

I don't think any other icon has anything directly on the edge like that.
ImageImage
Compellor

Post by Compellor »

I'm disappointed in you Andon. This is just one example. Yes, we can change the icons, I just want to make sure that we want to.
Last edited by Compellor on Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.